“Typical Distillery tour with interesting insights.”

The Dalmore Distillery
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Alness
Largs, United Kingdom
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Typical Distillery tour with interesting insights.”
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Nothing really special, but interesting insights nonetheless into the history of this particular fine malt. Beware that even if everyone booked on your tour has arrived half an hour early, there is absolutely no flexibility and the tour will not start till the exact time scheduled (just in case someone else turns up!). There is also a particularly strict policy that mobiles and cameras have to be left in cars or at reception. Once you have been round more than one distillery it is hard to see quite what the risk of photographs might be but at least be prepared! Sampling at the end of the tour will of course be limited to the main lines but if really interested then no doubt arrangements can be negotiated. The shop at another distillery just 12 miles up the road was much more flexible and welcoming with obvious willingness to offer much wider range of tasting experiences.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Ayrshire911

Kilmacolm, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Birthday Treat”
Reviewed February 13, 2014

The Dalmore has long been my favourite whisky so to celebrate the day of my 40th birthday my wife and I booked ourselves on a tour and a stay in a nearby hotel. Slight problem that our pre-booked tour was not in their diary but the staff could not have been more helpful in accommodating us. My wife and I got a personal tour round the wonderful distillery and learned all about its rich history and its links to Scottish royalty and its famous stag emblem. Shelly, our guide, was friendly, warm and extremely knowledgeable and workers on site were also willing to speak to us and share some of their experience - unlike some other distilleries I have been to. Shelly took her time and answered the many questions we threw at her with good humour and wisdom. All in all it was absolutely perfect and topped off with a dram of The Dalmore 12 and a sneaky extra special 40th birthday treat of a King Alexander III dram. We treated ourselves to a special bottle in the shop at the end and were given a Dalmore glass as an even more extra special treat because it was my 40th. A perfect day out at an excellent distillery producing the world's best whisky. Well worth a visit and just £8 a head.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank StuartRWilson
Invergordon, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Great local distillary”
Reviewed January 25, 2014

It may have whyte and mackay at the entrance but this distillery keeps its local roots strong, the tour is great very interesting too. Tasting at the end is never a bad thing either never knew so many different types. Rustic but modern at the same time, just off the A9 at Alness

Visited August 2013
1 Thank AlexAndAlison
Bagram, Afghanistan
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Not Impressed”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

This was the second distillery I visited this day. The first was The Macallan. The difference was night and day. I was expecting really good things because I enjoy Dalmore whisky a lot, and I'm familiar with its cool history. However, the Visitor Center was rather small, and gave off a cold feeling. The tour guide was nice enough and knowledgeable about the process and history but she wasn't all that warm and friendly. The tour was the standard 'how-we-do-it' fare. The guide told some interesting trivia about the stills. The tour ended with a taste of one whisky plus a short video. Not very impressive. I'll still going to buy the whisky because it's tasty. However, touring this distillery doesn't gain anything.

Visited December 2013
2 Thank MajDevo
Glasgow, United Kingdom
71 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Decent distillery, but remembered for the wrong reason”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

About time TA decided to add Dalmore to this site. You have to book beforehand to visit, but it's not difficult to find, just off the A9 near Alness. Our tour cost £5/person (if I recall correctly), so not that much. But we were left aghast with their photography policy - not only it is forbidden, but you either have to leave your device at the reception or in your car during your visit (we opted for the latter). For the tour itself, it's more or less a standard run through the mash tun, the washbacks, the stills and the warehouse, but will place more emphasis on their history, e.g. the origin of their stag. You can have a wee sensory analysis of new spirit and ageing whisky in one of their rooms. In their tasting room, you can sip a dram of Dalmore 12yo while watching a solid video about the distillery and its expressions. We also spotted one of three bottles of Dalmore Trinitas (64yo (!), priced at £100k). The shop has plenty of Dalmore expressions and a few souvenirs. In general, the distillery staff are friendly and helpful, but could ease off on their photography policy. Otherwise, I would probably give it a higher score. 8.3 / 10

Visited April 2013