“2nd visit. As before I was impressed.”
Review of Newton Muthu Hotel

Newton Muthu Hotel
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Nairn
Hampshire
“2nd visit. As before I was impressed.”
Reviewed February 10, 2011

I visited this hotel in 2008, before I started reviewing hotels on Tripadvisor. I was very impressed at that time. I am pleased to report that the hotel has not dropped its standards.

The location of the hotel is very good. It is an easy drive from the city of Inverness or from the airport. There is a conference facility at the hotel. It appears spacious but I cannot comment on the facility.

The food is very good, whether at breakfast or dinner.

The rooms I have had on each occasion were both on the second floor. The rooms are very spacious. I believe that the beds are "Queen" size bads. Certainly they are three pillows wide !

The bathroom has a bath, sink, toilet and a shower cubicle. Like everything about the room it is a very nice set up.

Channel 4 is a very weak channel on the TV. Other channels do not show a strong signal. For sports fans there are Sky Sports 1, 2 and 3. Alongside these channels are the standard terrestrial 5 and Sky 1.

There are cattle on the front lawn. You can access the hotel from the main road or nearer to the waterfront. There is free wifi in the rooms. My room had excellent reception. A colleague found that she had to sit on the toilet to get good reception.

I am aware that there are some negative comments about this hotel. I must say that I cannot see why. I could be really picky and say that the lift is small and jerky. I could say that the car park was not treated for being icy on Tuesday morning but really that would be petulent and unnecessary.

Would I recommend it ? Yes.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 30, 2011

Just returned from a 4 day relaxation break at the Newton.
We have visited this hotel once or twice a year for about 25 years. On our previous visit we noticed that standards had fallen, particularly in the Restaurant (AA Rosette), but on this occasion we were delighted to find that things were back on track again and there has been a marked improvement. From the cleaner to the manager, the staff were very friendly and helpful as usual.
Note: We always stay in the executive rooms in the new part of the hotel which are well appointed with plenty of space, comfortable beds, good seating areas, well-fitted bathrooms with good power showers, heated floors etc. In the past we have tried the various suites in the older part of the hotel but these are dated and have "character", which is estate agent speak for run down and in serious need of upgrading. The "new" rooms are much better.
Our visit was out of season and the hotel was very quiet, but this suited us.
We will return again sometime later in the year.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Elgin
Reviewed January 30, 2011

First time we've got away by ourselves without child or dog in a very long time. Got a great deal through the hotel's website. One night dinner, bed and breakfast for 2 for £80. Checked in mid afternoon, very quick and efficient, although i'd forgotten all the instructions for where we would be eating by the time i got to our room. Room was a decent size with a view from the front of the hotel (lookout for the highland cattle in the grounds), plenty of storage space, tv (no dvd player though), ensuite bathroom with under floor heating - cosy. Bath was a bit snug - ok for me as i'm just over 5ft but if you're a lanky giant it would be a bit uncomfortable. Went for a walk round Nairn and then over to the beach (brrrrrr cold in January). Back to hotel, wee snooze and then dinner. Food was very nice, set menu of 2 courses - £20, 3 courses £25. Went to the late show at the Vue cinema in Inverness and then back to the hotel. Breakfast can be taken in bed at no extra charge (unless having the full cooked version - £5 extra). We had ours in the restaurant, continental or full Scottish included in the price. Staff very friendly and obliging.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Scotland
Reviewed December 18, 2010

We stayed over after a works Christmas party which, by the way was excellent, well run with great entertainment. Delighted to discover we'd been allocated room 104, one of the large suites in the original part of the hotel. The festive party rate of £50 for B&B is exceptional value! The Newton is a well balanced mix of old and new which in this case really works. The hotel provides a country house setting and atmosphere and, in the middle of an Arctic blizzard, a cosy warm blanket which wrapped itself round you. They love their history at the Newton and are obviously proud of the famous names from royalty, politics and Hollywood who have sampled the delights of this Nairn gem in the past; none more so than one Charlie Chaplin, who, with his retinue, took over the second floor of the hotel for 2 weeks every summer. The names of the various suites reflect the famous residents who stayed there. All the staff are friendly, courteous, professional and efficient - we would have been hard pressed to find fault, not that we were looking! I said the hotel was a mix of old and new - our only criticism would be that some of the old bits are a bit past it, such as the ragged curtain linings in our room; patently, maintaining and decorating an old building is a costly business, but maybe an outlay that needs to be made to prevent disasters such as the water pouring through the breakfast room ceiling from a burst pipe. Maybe not creating the best image of an otherwise classy hotel! However, all that aside, I can happily recommend the Newton to you, the best bits far outweigh the faults and the fact I and Mrs Foxy had only 4 hours blissful slumber was indicative of a brilliant Christmas party rather than any problems with the hotel! Oh by the way, the views from the rooms in the original building are stunning, a wonderful vista of green fields and trees framing the Moray Firth and Black Isle beyond.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Inverness
Reviewed December 12, 2010

As the person who has to organise the obligatory Christmas party for myself and 21 others (colleagues and their partners), this year I was lucky enough to choose the Newton Hotel.

From the first moment of contact with the hotel we were treated with the upmost efficiency from the staff. The numbers and needs of party goers changed multiple times, in fact, it got to the point where I was embarrassed to contact the hotel with the latest needs of our contrary bunch! However each of our queries and changes were met with humour and efficiency. The reception staff even sent us a list of hairdressers in the vicinity! The night itself went very well with everybody eating (and drinking) well - and dancing into the wee hours of the morning.

The rooms were spacious and clean, although the decor was slightly old fashioned, but in keeping for the style of the building.

The meal was better than expected, as I appreciate that its not easy catering for 200 rowdy party goers, but it all arrived at the table hot and well cooked. Also the breakfast the following morning was well cooked and much needed.

I would definantly recommend this hotel - purely for the staff!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Forres, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 28, 2010

I'm just back from a weekend at the Newton and was, along with my collegues, blown away by the level of service we received. Nothing was too much trouble for them and the staff were nothing less that fantastic. I found every member of staff extremely approachable and the rooms (bed rooms, restaurants and break out/ meeting rooms) were beautifully presented and clean. The hotel is in it's own grounds and so is very private although it is still in the town, should you wish to go for a walk along the beach or visit the shops of Nairn. I will certainly be back.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2010

This hotel is beautiful on the outside and the rooms do not disappoint. We stayed in an executive room and the facilities where great. Lovely views over the gardens and the beds were very comfortable.
The food in the hotel was fantastic and I was left wishing I could have stayed longer. We will definetely going back as the staff made us feel extremely welcoming.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nairn
Golf View Hotel & Spa
Boath House Hotel
Boath House Hotel
#5 of 9 in Nairn
Tigh na Sgiath Country House Hotel

Been to Newton Muthu Hotel? Share your experiences!