“don't go to this hotel not a 4 star experience”
Review of Newton Muthu Hotel

Newton Muthu Hotel
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Nairn
Reviewed April 14, 2009

we booked this hotel based on reviews and a couple of friends had previously stayed here. We booked for 2 nights, myself, my husband and two young kids. Our first impression of the hotel from the outside and the reception area was it was very nice. The rooms given to us, 2 separate ones, were good on first impressions. My husband had trouble sleeping the first night as the room was very stuffy and small and the bed was not a double more a queen size and he is 6 2". We asked to change and we were accomodated however on moving to the new room we were horrified to find that the room smelt of damp and the wallpaper was literally falling off the walls. We went downstairs to explain and ask again to be moved only to be told by a very old and frosty faced receptionist that we could only have 2 single rooms. I said in that case I would like to move hotels and hoped that she understood that we would not be paying for the 2nd night. I was informed that I would need to pay for the 2nd night as they could have let the room out, even with the damp and wallpaper coming off the walls. I contacted superbreak whom I booked the hotel through and they were very helpful they told us we did not need to pay for the 2nd nights accommodation and they apologised for the hotel's unhelpfulness. On leaving the hotel we were greeted outside of our bedroom door by a cockroach we told the receptionist and even showed her a picture which my 8 yr old son took and she very calmly said "we will deal with that" I would most definately not be returning to this hotel it is an outrage that it is still classed as a 4*.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank cartersathome
reservations_newton, Reception Manager at Newton Muthu Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2009

I would like to respond to the recent negative review for the Newton Hotel. The guests had booked two rooms which were stated had to be close together. At the time of booking we will allocate a room specified by our clients, either standard or master rooms. We will always try to accommodate every guests needs but as the hotel was full we had only one more standard room available to move guests into, which was not to the guests expectations, with no master rooms available to upgrade free of charge, it was then the guests decided they would not stay with us and were only billed for one night's accomodation. I spoke to the booking agent the same evening to confirm, a charge of one night only was billed. All hotels have to go through stringent and rigorous routines of cleaniness & inspections and The Newton Hotel is no different, so with regards to the comments regarding cockroaches,I feel I must respond. The head housekeeper has been employed here for 6 years, and at no time have cockroaches been found in the Newton by staff, nor have they been found or commented on by any of our guests.
We have a program of 3 monthly pest control inspections carried out by Rentokil who have never found or reported any issues with the hotel. I do hope this will not deter future visitors as the Newton is a hotel with lots of character and charm, and Charlie Chaplin couldn't have been wrong, he visited us for many years.

Reviewed February 10, 2009

Lovely spacious room. Easy check-in/out. Good food. Nice staff.

Great for a lazy weekend.

Excellent value.

• Stayed: January 2009
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Argassi1
Reviewed January 26, 2009

Our three night stay at the Newton was very relaxing. It felt like we had the place to ourselves as the hotel wasn't very busy. The staff are very friendly indeed and only too pleased to help you with local knowledge.

The bar area is lovely with a big open fires and big comfy chairs. We didn't eat in the restuarant, but the breakfast was very good and all cooked to order. We did have room service, which was a reasonable price and delivered very quickly.

The hotel is in an excellent location and proved a very good base for visiting Loch Ness, Inverness, The Cairngorms National Park etc. It's only 10 miles or so to Inverness airport. It's a 10 minute walk into Nairn centre which has a good selection of local shops and the most wonderful beach.

We were lucky enough to be allocated room 104, which is one of the large rooms looking out of the front of the hotel over fields towards the River Nairn. There are Highland Cattle grazing in front of the hotel and the views towards the river and beyond are the perfect highland scene.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 28, 2008

The hotel as a whole is a lovely place to stay, but be aware that some there are some rooms that have not been renovated. Although they are clean and comfortable, the hot water is only hot if you run a bath in these rooms. The showers run at a luke warm temperature. Most of the rooms, however, are absolutely fine.

The staff were very helpful, but seemed a bit overwhelmed at breakfast time.

The bar area is a cosy, comfortable place to relax in front of the open fire with a brie, bacon and avocado sandwich.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 31, 2008

We stayed for two nights - 27th and 28th of October - and thoroughly enjoyed the time at the hotel. Check-in was pleasant and efficient and we were given a room in the new part of the hotel. The room itself was fantastic - plenty of wardrobe space, two case stands, a great bathroom with underfloor heating and a massive bedroom with a king-size bed. We stayed on a B&B rate but ended up eating at the hotel on both evenings. The staff were friendly, the service excellent and the food was delicious. For dinner the venison and beef collops were delightful, so much so that my husband and I plumped for that on both evenings. The restaurant was busy on both evenings, so the hotel must be getting something right. If there would be one or two suggestions they would be (1) Put black pudding and haggis on the breakfast menu. They weren't an option at breakfast. Surely in the home of haggis and black pudding it would not be too much to ask that the hotel make these available at breakfast? (2) How about a little atmosphere in the bar for after-dinner drinks? Some live music might not go astray and may encourage more people to drop in after having something to eat? Overall though we got great value for money. We have stayed at much more expensive hotels which were not as good. We would strongly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a peaceful escape to the Highlands of Scotland.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 27, 2008

My girlfriend and I spent the evening of Saturday 25th Oct 2008 at the Newton and overall we had a fantastic time, only blighted somewhat by the meal that we had in the hotel that evening.

Our room was in the new part of the hotel and we were both really impressed when we opened the door with the room having a large bathroom with separate bath and shower, very comfortable double bed and 2 lounge chairs to sit and relax in.

As mentioned previously, the only aspect that tainted the stay slightly was the standard of the food and the service in the restaurant. On the arrival of our starter of soup to the table (which was supposed to come with crusty bread), it became clear that the bread was not forthcoming. I therefore asked the waitress if we could have some bread and on this she responded by saying "I will need to go and ask the chef". As it was stated on the menu that it came with crusty bread I felt rather disappointed that I had to ask for it. However, not as disppointed as I was about to be! On the return to the table with the bread, the waitress then placed one tiny piece of normal bread (about 5mm thick) on my side plate and I actually thought she was taking the mickey, but no, this was the bread!!!!

The main meals were both nice, dont get me wrong but I have tasted much better at far cheaper prices elsewhere and I would therefore advise potential guests to explore the eateries in Nairn rather than the restaurant in the hotel.

As I say, this only tainted the experience slightly and I would otherwise recommend the hotel to others.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 22, 2008

We were really looking forward to staying at the Newton Hotel. We had previously stayed in the Golf View on numerous occasions and thought they would be on par, however, I was disappointed. There are no leisure facilities, which is a let down and I think would be a real plus if added. The hotel rooms are lovely, but nothing really special. I found the breakfast especially disappointing for a four star hotel, certainly not what I expected. The dinner in the evening was ok, but again, not what I expected. I don't think I expect too much, but there is no atmosphere in this hotel and it just did not meet my expectation. Sadly, I won't return.

• Stayed: October 2008
1  Thank Lorraine765
OHIML, General Manager at Newton Muthu Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2008

We are disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us but thank you for posting your views. We use all our guest comments to help improve our product and service and will use your comments for that purpose.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nairn
Golf View Hotel & Spa
The Craiglynne Hotel
The Craiglynne Hotel
#7 of 9 in Grantown-on-Spey
Loch Ness Country House Hotel at Dunain Park

Been to Newton Muthu Hotel? Share your experiences!