Invernairne Hotel
Muthu Newton Hotel(Nairn)(Great Value!)
$140
$150
  • Breakfast included
$178
TripAdvisor
All reviewsguest houseprivate pathmoray firthairy dining roomsea viewbeach promenadegreat hostsbuffet stylelocal eateriesspotted dolphinsfour poster bedwonderful roomstornoway black puddinglounge barfamily roomlog firenorthern scotland
Reviewed December 12, 2009

"Firthside" room massive and lovely view of the Moray Firth. Service good, delightful breakfast room and breakfast. Convenient location but Nairn is a very quiet place.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
HomeInv, Owner at Invernairne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2018

This review was written when the hotel had different owners. The hotel has now been completely renovated from top to toe should you wish to return to see the hotel in all its glory we would love to welcome you.

Reviewed October 13, 2009

Not sure which four-poster room 'wanderingstarlet' stayed in (see review further below), but I'm pretty certain it wasn't the 'Firthside' on the ground floor! Decoration was to a high standard in my opinion and the room was spotlessly clean. All the furniture was solid and looked quite new to me (in excellent condition anyway). The en-suite was very large (by most hotel standards) with a bath and a shower. Douglas and Kay are extremely friendly and welcoming people who are clearly in the business because they care about what they do. I would love to have stayed longer, but it was a very last minute decision to get away for a night (with the kids in tow unfortunately ;-) ), but we were all glad that we chose the Invernairne.

I would certainly recommend 2-3 nights for any couple who want to get away for a short break and enjoy a bit of luxury at a reasonable price - choose the Firthside room and you won't be disappointed. The weather wasn't exactly tropical at this time of year, but the views more than made up for it...I can only imagine what it would be like when the sun is out in full force (pretty stunning I should think!).

We had a lovely meal at 'The Classroom' in the evening, which is only a 15-20 minute walk into Nairn town centre and at around £25 per head for 3 courses (including drinks) it didn't bankrupt us either! The hotel owners provided a very helpful map of several places to eat locally when we first arrived and there was plenty of guidance on what to do in the surrounding area as well. A couple of nice walks along the seafront were all we had time for, but the local golf course looked a treat worth exploring if that's your thing. There's also an indoor swimming pool less than a 5 minute walk from the hotel.

Breakfast was good quality and served in a lovely room overlooking the Moray Firth (just next to our bedroom in fact - almost wish there was a serving hatch between the two!). Extra toast offered without being requested and self-service buffet dishes kept well stocked and hot.

All in all a great 'overnighter' which left us wanting more... see you again soon hopefully!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank uk_leisure_gb
Reviewed September 22, 2009

A lovely guest house with incredible views. House and gardens are very elegant. Kay and Douglas are wonderful hosts. Our room was beautiful as are the public rooms. Our hosts helped us with a number of things and couldn't be more helpful. Can't wait to return!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank luv2travelMidwestUSA
Reviewed August 5, 2009

I stayed in Aberdeen for a conference and hire a car for adventure journey in Schotland. I spend too much time on whisky road and come to Nairn. A small town and I find the hotel very easy.

I park the car and find my room it is very nice and I like it here. It is long walk into Nairn town and I find something to eat. I drink many malt whisky - all very nice.

The hotel is very lovely, the decoration looks new and I love the view to the Black Island opposite the hotel garden. The breakfast is very good and I eat too much. If I come to Nairn once more I come here.

I like Schottland!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank GuntherKoln
Reviewed July 30, 2009

We enjoyed everything about the Invernairne - the 4-poster room was fabulous - mahogony, king sized and with great seaviews! We arrived late by train and not seeing taxis phoned up and the owner came and collected us. Either Kay or Doug also took us during the week to the bus station and even to Inverness railway station (due to poor connection time from Nairn station) - they couldn't have done more to make an enjoyable stay. Even the weather was mostly good (better than down south). Great breakfast - as much as you like. We loved the gardens and even spotted dolphins from the lawn! We recommend the meals at the Classroom and at the Golf View.
Trips to Cawdor castle, Brodie castle and of course Loch Ness plus the Spey side distilleries. We recommend the area and the miles of golden, sandy beaches right down from the gardens. You won't beat this!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple