“Declining standards”

Golf View Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Nairn
Reviewed March 27, 2014

We have stayed at the Golf View numerous times over the last 10 years and it became our favourite hotel in the Inverness area. However this week we stayed on a two night Groupon break and were disappointed. The location is good and we found the staff welcoming, friendly and helpful. Our room (5) was clean and comfortable but no toiletries, even soap, were supplied for wash handbasin or bath - unacceptable in a 4* hotel. Bar and breakfast food was acceptable but below the standard provided on previous visits. Bar drink prices were very high. When next we visit Nairn we will consider alternative hotels where previously the Golf View was an automatic choice.

Room Tip: Our friends had a room on the second floor which was better than ours !
1  Thank John W
Donald1897, General Manager at Golf View Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Golf View, we have recently had a change in both management and kitchen and can assure all our guests normal service has resumed and apologise for any shortcomings. Thanks again for your review

There are newer reviews for Golf View Hotel & Spa

Reviewed March 26, 2014

Stayed 19 to 21 March. B and B deal thru GROUPON. Lady receptionist not very welcoming but manager at reception was very nice. First room was not satisfactory but were given another room which was large and bright. We asked about meals at night and were told dining room was only place to get food as lounge only served food till six. Food was very expensive and there is nowhere else close to hotel to eat so had to eat there. Was disappointed to see people eating in lounge in evening fish and chips etc when we were told we could not do so. Saw dogs in hotel lobby and was glad they were not allowed in public area due to my allergies. Breakfast would benefit from being buffet style as service slow but food was very good. We very much appreciated the manager organising a lift for us to train station when our taxi did not arrive. A big thank you for that

1  Thank LMJD26

Reviewed March 25, 2014

Arrived at this hotel late afternoon on 24th March on a 2 night break with a Groupon voucher. After quite a wait at reception we were allocated a room by a surly receptionist who to be honest was doing the work of two people.
We made our way to room 6 or should I say cupboard 6. The room should have been classified as a single. The window faced out onto a fire escape and the extraction system, probably from the kitchen was right outside the window. Apart from the noise there were fumes poring out as well.
The bathroom lights did not work properly and there was no soap for the sink. The bedroom itself was extremely small. The bed was so soft and old that a thought of sleeping in it filled me with dread.
As I was looking forward to the break I returned to reception and asked if I could pay for an upgrade, as at this point I would have paid anything to get out of this room. She told me it would be £60 per night. Extortionate but decided to pay. She then informed me that the hotel was full and my room would have to do.
I returned to the room (cupboard) and then decided with my wife that we would leave and check into another hotel.
On check out I had to wait fifteen minutes to escape as there was no one there. When the surly receptionist finally appeared I told her I was checking out and without flicking an eyelid just said ok. It must be noted here that I had paid in advance for the two nights and I had been in the hotel about 30 minutes. Any caring hotel staff should ask why I was leaving especially after paying in advance and was due no money back. I do not know what was the worst the horrible room or the uncaring receptionist. I think they needed my money more than I needed their cupboard.
I would write to the General Manager but after seeing the lame excuses given to other reviewers I think it would be a futile gesture.
Take away the pool and spa at this hotel and it is a very average 3 star hotel. Taking my experience and that of others there seems to be a management problem at this hotel. When are Crerar hotels going to wake up and do something about it as this hotel seems to live on voucher customers as no one would pay the full prices this hotel is charging.
To finalise I lost out financially when I thought a 4 star hotel should offer 4 star rooms not an hotel past its prime.

Room Tip: If given room 6 run for the door
8  Thank attina

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Golf View, we have recently had a changed both management and kitchen this very week and can assure all our guests normal service has resumed and apologise for any shortcomings. Thanks again for your review

Reviewed March 24, 2014

Wonderful sea view room, large room, very large and extremely comfortable bed, good en suite bathroom, well kept and efficient room cleaning and maintenance. Good fast wi- fi all over the hotel except in spa and pool area. Spa and pool area also excellent and ran very well. The huge let down is the catering. For a 4 star hotel I found the breakfast was mediocre and the service of it awful. Absolutely no management and staff seemed to spend a lot of the time staying in the kitchen rather than attend to tables. Long delays from placing orders to getting anything, and then constant mistakes or get nothing at all. Often a request was answered "we have ran out". Breakfast would be far better if it was buffet style and better supplied so that items are not run out after the first hour of serving breakfast. Meanwhile, I am giving 4 stars as this hotel saves itself with the amazing room we had and its service.

Reviewed March 22, 2014

we arrived in this beautiful situated hotel at Nairn , and once we had checked in decided we would eat there , at first glance there were two menus , so we were confused when we were given a menu with meals at such a high price , that i felt embarrassed upon seeing the prices , i ordered the scallops with black pudding as a main meal , and was shocked when it arrived , one single slice of black pudding cut into four corners and four scallops , nothing else ! , i was charged £16 . 00 p for this snack ! , and felt stupid for ordering what was described as a main meal ! . so don't get stung on the meal front , eat else where ! . the rooms at the front are the best for a sea view , at £30.oo p extra , the room we were in was warm and the bed was more than adequate . the hotel is very dog friendly and the walk to the beach is less than a minute . on the whole the hotel is very over priced for everything and we don't plan on going back . remember people ! . ask to see the two menus , and don't get duped ! .

Room Tip: pay £30.00p , in march , and you shall get a sea view , if not , put £30.00p in your car and you sha...

Reviewed March 20, 2014

I have stayed at the Golf View on a number of occasions due the the wonderful surroundings, high quality of service and food . Unfortunately I have to say I was disappointed at my recent visit there. The service in the restaurant was slow and the staff seemed to lack experience. I felt there was no direction from Management.1 out of our 2 cooked breakfasts was awful. In fact it was inedible. the 6 course taster menu was ok but I feel it has become too fussy. There were a number of things that went wrong outwith the restaurant setting and again I feel this is a Management issue. In general most of the staff tried hard and I do not blame them. I spoke to a number of other guests and like myself they felt that the standards had dropped. Come on Golf View get your act together and again raise your standards to what they were previously.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Bonchat

Reviewed March 20, 2014

We had a nice 2 day B&B stay at the Golf view hotel as part of a groupon voucher

Good points
- beautiful location
- got a lovely room with a sea view (always wondered if buying the deals had any affect on the room allocated. In this case, we were very pleasantly surprised)
- staff were very pleasant and friendly
- we could take the dog

Not so good points
- couldn't take the dog into any of the public areas. I understand the reasons for this but the hotels we have stayed in before allow dogs into part of the bar area.
- had to wait 20 minutes for breakfast on the second day. It was busy and no fault of the staff, i think maybe due to the size and set up of the dining room but still an inconvenience
- our breakfast order was slow to be taken on both mornings
- we ate in the bar on the second evening and the meal was mediocre at best. We had a burger and fish and chips. Both good sized portions but fish undercooked, chips undercooked, burger not very tasty and the accompanying tomato relish did not come wtih the order, we had to ask for it. We were the only people eating in the bar but maybe the dining room was busy?

The not so good points are a bit picky but put together add up and i woudl expect better from a four star hotel. We would have given the hotel a 4 'star' rating if not for the bar food.

Donald Macleod

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nairn
Eight Acres Hotel & Leisure Club
#1 of 9 in Nairn
The Clubhouse Hotel
The Clubhouse Hotel
#6 of 9 in Nairn

Been to Golf View Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!