“Nice hotel, let down by service”

Golf View Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Nairn
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Beautiful location. Nairn is gorgeous and this hotel sits right on the coast looking out toward the Black Isle; a walk along the sea wall is a lovely way to start or end the day.

I love Crerar Hotels & have stayed in several. I really wanted to stay here for a long weekend with my boyfriend around autumn time but it was fully booked so we stayed in Loch Fyne instaed. When he proposed several months later on Findhorn beach (a short drive & beautiful place) he surprised me by having booked us a suite here. I was very pleased as from the photos it looked gorgeous.

We had a lovely stay, the staff were friendly, the food was good, the suite was beautiful. Unfortunately, when we left I forgot my jumper. I realised soon after leaving but rather than go back (we were on route to Edinburgh) I called reception. I was informed that it had been found and would be posted to me. I waited & waited to receive it but weeks later it hadn't arrived. I called again and was told it would be sent out that day. Again, waited and waited but no package. Months after our visit I called and spoke to the manager. He assured me that if I did not receive it I would be refunded for the item. Several weeks passed, it did not arrive, I called several more times & was told the manager was either busy or out of office. When I eventually got hold of him, he brushed me off.

So I never received my jumper, nor was I refunded.

I regularly stayed in Crerar Hotels until this occurred, since, I have not stayed in any. I was disheartened as I believed them to be excellent. Considering our spend was well in excess of £500 for two nights you would think they could post a forgotten jumper- particularly as I informed them within an hour of leaving & they said it would be sent- I feel they let themselves down. The Crerar chain have now lost my custom, I would not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The suites are lovely, it is well worth upgrading
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
NairnIain, General Manager at Golf View Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. I am unware of the incident involving your jumper some months back. Perhaps you can contact me and let me know who you spoke to so that I can investigate further.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

We were on a Crerar 2013 break with £85 worth of Crerar vouchers to spend at the Golf View,our favourite hotel in this hotel collection.We got an excellent 2 night deal on the company's own website which included a 6 course dinner on the first night,full use of leisure club and the chance to use our vouchers.
As regular visitors to this hotel and spa we were delighted to learn that we had also been given the best available double room with a sea view which would normally involve a surcharge.The vouchers allowed us £30 off the break,£5 off drinks,£25 off a spa treatment,£15 off a steak and £10 off a bottle of wine.The total bill came to a fraction over £200..for everything and we were made to feel like special guests by the staff who we have got to know well over the years.

Room Tip: sea view worth the extra and family rooms great value.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for such a fantastic review and we do hope to see you again at the Golf View and Spa on one of your regular visits.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

This was my third visit to the hotel and once again it was virtually faultless. Out of season Easy-Break holidays offer outstanding value for money. My room was once again excellent ,overlooking the sea and very comfortable. Staff all friendly and efficient , food great. Two minor points , firstly the breakfast haggis and black pudding is cut too thinly ! , secondly why don't you advertise the full range of Spa treatments available?. My partner would have booked these had she known they were available in advance. Apart from that , the hotel is great and I will be visiting again

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for your excellent feedback which I have shared with the team and we do hope to see you back for a 4th time very soon. Thank you.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

The Golf View Hotel in Nairn occupies a really fabulous location on the seafront above a magnificent sweep of golden sands. The staff are always friendly and attentive. The food in the conservatory restaurant is good. The hotel is generally clean and well cared for. The Spa has a good range of attractions - pool, gym,outdoor hot-tub etc and again, the staff are good. But the thing that for me really lets the whole place down is the state of the showers at the pool changing rooms. If there was any alternative I would have not showered in them. Dirty grout, mould and a poor attempt to paint over the tiles, as a desperation remedial measure - said paint now peeling off in unsightly measures, revealing the mould - which cannot be the best for health either. Come on Golf View - pull these disgusting showers back up to the level of your other fine standards!

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
NairnIain, General Manager at Golf View Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad that you had an overall good time. Please kindly note that the shower cubicles within the leisure changing rooms are shortly to be overhauled and the tiles replaced with wet well and appropriate fittings. We do take all guest feedback very seriously. Thank you again.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

Just returned from the Golf View Hotel after spending two nights (4th & 5th April) on DBB basis. My wife and I can't rate this hotel and the staff highly enough.
Dinner was superb on both nights. First night was in the conservatory and the second in the dining room. Service was excellent. Staff extremely attentive and they could not do enough for us considering we are both fussy eaters.
We had a sea view room which was very nice. The views from the room over looking the Moray Firth are stunning.The whole ambiance of the hotel was peaceful and very relaxing.
We would like to thank Lee for making this trip a memorable one.
We would not hesitate to recommend this hotel. Try it for yourself.

Room Tip: A room with a sea view
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your fantastic feedback. I have shared your comments with the team at the Golf View Hotel and Spa and all are delighted. Thank you.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

Stayed here at Easter with friends and children on a DBB basis. The confusion around the Dinner menus requires serious attention before they lose more custom. We had to eat off (generally) the taster menu due to our package - but as there are only 2 starter and 3 main meal choices it can be very limiting. Why oh why can you not get a dinner allowance ? We have never had such a restricted choice at any other hotel. Apparently you can get a £32.95 dinner allowance but only if you book through a certain booking company?? The food we had was lovely but I would agree with others about the service - it was very understaffed. Now, Children's meals, this was an absolute shambles- told there was no children's menu (Great news as we had a 14 year old) Then told to chose anything from taster menu as a half portion, then as order was being taken the waitress checked and we were told they couldn't have this! Children were then looking at the a la carte menu and we checked again with the original waiter and he said that they could have 1/2 portion of taster menu! We had already asked if kids could have an item off the bar menu but they couldn't do this either. In our room our information sheet said that children could ask for their favourite meal and the chef would cook this if possible - so what if its the same as the bar menu? If staff still cannot understand the dinner system then how can customers? It did blight our weekend if I'm honest. Having looked at reviews the DBB meal allowance and dining room service seems to have been an issue for sometime and despite the manager commenting that a new banqueting manager had been appointed some weeks ago it still hasn't been cleared up.On a positive note breakfast was good both days. The rooms are fine, family rooms are large but I would pay extra for a sea view. Hot tub and pool were lovely but the changing rooms do require updating. The location of the hotel is the biggest draw but the Crerar Group need to look seriously at customers views, and to address them, if it wants this hotel to be as successful as it could and should be.

Room Tip: Ask for sea view - some have views of fire escape
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank gin92
NairnIain, General Manager at Golf View Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. Our apologies for any perceived shortcomings in standard or service. The dinner menu is simple to explain. As a guest who has booked on a dinner, bed and breakfast package you are entitled to the 6 course taster menu and this is included in the price you have paid for your stay.

We also offer an a la carte menu which you can trade up to by paying the supplement indicated against each specfic guest.

Children on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis are entitled to a half portion of the taster menu. If this is still not to their liking then whilst we do not operate a bespoke children's menu we can of course accommodate special requests to the kitchen for alternative meal options.

Our apologies again that this was not properly explained to you. I will revisit the training given to the waiting staff. I am glad that other aspects of your stay were to your liking.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

Am at long last getting round to expressing my thanks for making my husbands birthday lunch in February so memorable. We had heard through the "grapevine " how good your Sunday lunch was and thought we would give it a try....... we certainly weren't disappointed :-))
The food and service was super ...lots of extra vegetables and huge Yorkshires. Was so thoughtful of Lee to put the 16 of us in the lounge all round large table and to kindly appear with a birthday cake. Those little things mean so much. Many thanks for a lovely day. Will definately see you soon.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ElizabethE768

Thank you for your excellent feedback. I am delighted that we were able to go that extra mile to make your experience a memorable one. Thank you again for letting us know.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nairn
Eight Acres Hotel & Leisure Club
#1 of 9 in Nairn
The Clubhouse Hotel
The Clubhouse Hotel
#6 of 9 in Nairn

Been to Golf View Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!