“Great Hosts”
Review of Cawdor House

Cawdor House
Ranked #1 of 37 Nairn B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 4, 2011

After driving to Nairn from Edinburgh through the remnants of Hurricane Katia, we were greeted warmly by Mairi and Paul. The Cawdor House proved to be an excellent location for exploring the area around the Moray Firth without actually being in a larger city. The rooms are comfortably furnished and very clean. Paul is a wealth of knowledge about the local area and by our third day, we could actually understand almost everything he told us in his fine Scottish brogue! Marie turns out some amazing breakfasts that are included in the package.

Nairn is easily walkable from the Cawdor House and there is an excellent restaurant, the Classroom, just a few steps away. Another dining recommendation would be the Sunny Brae Hotel, overlooking the sea.

We were there for three nights in September and used the Cawdor House to explore the coast, visit a distillery or two, see Cawdor Castle, and tour the Culloden battlefield. Wish we could have stayed longer!

My only negative is that I was never able to get onto the wireless Internet. But, guess what... being 'unconnected' for those three days really didn't make any difference.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank smartbrowndog

Reviewed October 1, 2011

It would be impossible to find a more charming and hospitable B&B. My accommodation was welcoming and comfortable, not to mention that Paul and Mairi Banks are devoted to keeping Cawdor House impeccably clean. The meals were fantastic and a great way to experience local Scottish cuisine. I look forward to returning to Cawdor House one day as it will feel like I am coming home. Many thanks to Paul and Mairi for making it such a special place. Nadine Sheppard.

Room Tip: My room was on the top floor but I am positive every room is excellent.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 26, 2011

I have had the pleasure of staying at Cawdor House in Nairn a number of times and have never been disappointed. The bedrooms, which are spacious and quiet have always been spotless with some of the most comfortable beds I have stayed in. The breakfasts are huge with lovely fresh local produce. The owners, Mairi and Paul Banks, have created a lovely place to stay which I would recommend to anyone for business or pleasure.

Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 31, 2011

Did a central scotland trip, and did it in a quite spontaneous way. We decided to give Findhorn a go and got a bit frantic about finding accomodation in time, and that with a bit of a budget. Found Cawdor house in a trip advisor brochure, called - and Paul managed to accomodate us in time. Extremely helpful, friendly (he helped us book ahead for further stations of our journey). The rooms: clean, cosy, warm, best shower we had during the whole trip, great breakfast (if I could I'd give him a michelin star), beautiful, peaceful solid house.

Great. We'll return!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 31, 2011

I organise our holiday with friends every year to different parts of Scotland and they all agree that I excelled myself with my choice of accommodation in Nairn.
Cawdor House was so peaceful and relaxing and our rooms were spotless and charming.
My husband and I stayed in the Garden Room while our friends had the room with the 4 poster bed.
Breakfast was out of this world my husband has not stopped raving about the black pudding.
Parking was no problen as there was plenty of room just across the road from Cawdor house and we were able to move our car outside once the workmen had left at 5.00 p.m.
Would highly recommend this B&B both for accommodation and helpfulness of owners.
Will definately be back

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 26, 2011

Mairi and Paul Banks, the proprietors of Cawdor House, provided the best of everything for us during our 5 day stay in Nairn. Mairi has a real passion for cooking and provided what we considered a 5 star breakfast for us every morning. My favorite was the traditional porridge and Gary's was the traditional full Scottish breakfast. Our first floor room was phenomenal-huge king sized bed with lots of space for a couch and a stunning garden view and a thoroughly modern bathroom. All of this in addition to being spotless and beautifully appointed. They were very knowledgeable about the area and very accommodating to our individual needs. Hope you are able to stay with them sometime.

Room Tip: We had room # 7 and it was amazing
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 24, 2011

The house is wonderfully decorated, the bedroom we had was very spacious. The people running the place are immensely helpful and welcoming. It was our favourite B&B in Scotland!!

Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends