“Fabulous Second Visit to Cawdor House”
Review of Cawdor House

Cawdor House
Ranked #1 of 37 Nairn B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 11, 2011

This was my family’s second visit to the Inverness area, having stayed at Cawdor House in October 2010 and we had no hesitation on rebooking what we consider to be the best B&B experience we have had. Cawdor House is situated on a residential road close to all the amenities in Nairn. At present there is an extension being built but that in no way detracted from a very enjoyable stay. The accommodation is first class, clean and very welcoming. My wife and I stayed in a large double room and my daughter had an adjoining single room. Both were spacious and contained all the facilities we needed. The proprietors are among the most welcoming, friendly and personable people we have encountered and we were immediately made to feel almost part of the family on our arrival. We were remembered from last year which was very heartening and throughout our stay felt that nothing was too much trouble.. The breakfast is simply stunning. All produce is locally sourced from organic/free range sources and each individual item has a local culinary history which the proprietors are proud to explain. I have not had a better Full Scottish Fry Up and I am from "Gods Country" myself. Cawdor House has become the best B&B experience we have encountered in our many and varied travels. It is great value for money and fully deserves its 4 star rating. We will definitely be back

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed August 11, 2011

My wife and I really needed a break form our hectic lifestyle. We booked a 3 night stay, the location was fantastic the rooms palatial, breakfasts to die for.

we will be staying again thnaksPaul and Mhari for being such wonderful hosts.

Mike and Evelyn

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 11, 2011

I stayed at Cawdor House as part of a week long journey around the Highlands and I have to say this B&B was by far the best of my trip.

Cawdor House is located centrally, within easy walking distance of all the shops, bars and off course the gorgeous beach in Nairn.

The B&B itself is beautifully deocrated, with rooms which have a stylish yet homely feel to them. I slept like a baby on my very cosy bed and did not want to move every morning when my alarm went off! The accomodation in general was in prestine condition, clean and well presented.

As soon as you enter the B&B you are welcomed by relaxed and friendly hosts, which sets the tone for the rest of your visit. Both Paul and Mairi are very knowledgable on both the history and attractions of the surrounding area and were able to provide me with many tips as to where I should journey to next.

I opted for both breakfast and dinner at Cawdor House and found all the food to be beautiful, fresh and very well portioned! The former was enough food to keep me going for the whole day!

All in all a great trip to a great place - I will most certainly be back.

Room Tip: All of them!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 11, 2011

My wife and I recently stayed at Cawdor House and it capped a fine holiday in the highlands. As the wind and rain came down on our first day we were delighted to be greeted by the warmth of the house and its homely feel. We were greeted very pleasantly and we were very impressed with the room - remarkably keen and comfy would be the words most apt. The house is simply charming with pictures and novels that transport you back to the romantic times of the Highlands. The food was sublime and I thoroughly enjoyed my traditional Scottish grub.

All in all it was a great experience and one that we will most certainly repeat. Thanks to the proprietors for making our stay.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 7, 2011

Frankly, I am amazed at some of the glowing reviews I have read here and question their legitimacy. I booked on the strength of these and feel badly let down. This place is in my opinion a somewhat adequate 3 star B&B however it is priced as a 4 star B&B and does not deliver value for that money.

Cons:

The room was TINY, just enough room for one person to shimmy around the rock hard double bed.
There is no parking, you will have to hope you can find a space on the busy residential street.
The bed was so uncomfortable, I had probably 4 hours sleep over the two nights we were there.
The walls are paper thin and you can hear everything going on in the next rooms, particularly toilet noises. I'm guessing that goes both ways.
There is obviously major building work going on right now, judging by the materials piled around.
Possibly the most miserly breakfast I have ever eaten at a B&B. I am impressed at how half a mushroom was cut so paper thin it could have been used as a microscope slide.
The number of electrical outlets in the room was woefully insufficient. We were only able to find one outlet that was completely overburdened with every electrical item in the room. If you want to charge your mobile up or dry your hair, you have to unplug other things.
The proprietors will request that you fill in a form containing all sorts of intrusive information, and if you don't fill it in you can expect a pointed reminder.

Pros:

Generally clean, except for the ageing long pile carpet. Thank god we brought slippers.

Friendly if somewhat distant.

Finally:

We were charged 80 pounds per night when we were quoted 76. That's a 5% hidden charge even though we paid by cash. Also, there are other hidden charges that apply to paying by card that were not disclosed at the time of booking.

Overall, I would not go back, even if this place were much cheaper. It had a real negative effect on the last two days of what was a very enjoyable holiday up until then, staying at other 4 star B&Bs in the Highlands. I left tired and drained, not just in my wallet. There is much, much better accommodation at this price.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
9  Thank BigAl_naAlba
MairiBanks, Owner at Cawdor House, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2011

I am very sorry that you should have felt that way, and do wish that at some point during the 2 days you were with us, that you had raised your concerns with us. Visit Scotland has awarded us 4 stars for 4 years running, and 5 star marks for both the cleanliness of the house, and standard of our breakfasts. We wish to assure other readers of this review that all our other reviews are entirely genuine.

Reviewed July 30, 2011

Fantastic B & B. Clean & bright, friendly & helpful. Nice relaxed atmosphere. Great position in town & the lack of traffic wardens means parking is fine! Breakfast is fab, cooked to order & plenty of it. Have recommended to others already! We will be back.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 28, 2011

The accomodation is second to none clean and well maimtained and the hosts are welcoming and extremly friendly. They have a wealth of knowledge about the local area and places to visit further a field.
The range of choice on the breakfast menu will suit ever taste, I personally enjoy the full scottish breakfast freshly cooked to order and always served with a smile. We always look forward to our stay at cawdor house and know it will be a pleasant one.
We travel all over the world and have yet to find a Bed and Breakfast to beat Cawdor House. Simply the best.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family