“Stunning views”

$230.84*
and up
Glenelg and Lochalsh Half Day Tour from Kyle of Lochalsh
More attraction details
Owner description: This picturesque castle, built in 1220, holds the title of the most photographed castle in Scotland.
Rockville, Maryland
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Stunning views”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Eilean Dona is the postcard picture of Scotland. It's history is long and tormented, but very interesting, I suggest reading up before you go. Yes, most of the castle has been rebuilt but with attention to detail, and the family photos within give it added warmth and charm. It is an easy stop if you are heading to Skye via the Kyle of Localsh Bridge. The cafe offered a very good, reasonably priced lunch.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“too much”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I do really love Scotland. I've been here at least 7-8 times in my life. I love castles and visiting but, through the years the price of tickets have raised again and again.

When you pay 15-18 pounds to get into a Castle, monument or such things you, as a tourist, have to choose. You cannot visit whatever you would like to.
If I have to pay 20 pounds I will visit just one thing and tourist board will raise 20. If the price were 10, I would visit 3 things, probably I would buy something cause I'm happy abou the price and you would raise 30 pounds and more...Think about it and listen to tourists not only to prophets of economy and stakeholders...

A lot of people around Europe chose other countries because a part from B&B and food they have to consider entrances...I found it worrying

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Schattenjaeger
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Well worth a visit”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

This castle is famous for a reason, and it does look good in a photograph. I have to admit I was disappointed when I realised that it's not the original castle, but I guess I am naive if I expect buildings of that age to be as intact as it is without being rebuilt!

While it was great for it to get rebuilt, I felt a bit like the interior was all about the man that rebuilt it, as though he was somehow responsible for all its history, or that it had never happened in the first place. Just didn't seem to be enough info on the original castle. There were a lot of personal family photos on display - maybe i'm wrong, but I can't imagine anyone is that interested in seeing them?

Anyway, aside from a couple of small moans, the castle is a very nice setting - hey someone should make a film there :-)

Chatsworth, CA, USA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Can you take a bad picture of this place?”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

The answer is "No". Stunning from the outside. The inside, slightly less so, only as it is less a "castle" than a family residence for the man who rebuilt the castle ruins in the 1930's.

New Mexico
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“They found my hat”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Eilean Donan was one of my must-sees on this trip, and it did not disappoint. Having seen "Highlander" at least ten times in my youth, I knew I had to see this castle. Donan is a lovely example of a fortification that has existed in different forms nearly a thousand years. Today's version has been been beautifully restored. This is one of the few castles that has an indoor experience that is as lovely as the outdoor experience. The only downside is that Donan is crowded. Still, if you look closely and ignore the throngs of people pushing you around, you will see a slice of Scotland that runs centuries deep.
Also, I dropped my hat down the well and the friendly staff went to get it for me. Considering that this hat has been around the world with us, I was delighted that they were so helpful!