“Large Portions at a Reasonable Price”
Review of Hectors Bothy

Hectors Bothy
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night
Reviewed May 18, 2013

We arrived in Kyle late in the afternoon feeling hungry. This was the right place to stop. unpretentious, down-to-earth good food. The portions are large for the price and the staff were friendly and helpful. We will certainly call again next time we pass through Kyle.

1  Thank E10Man

Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

This is one of these ridiculous places that has a credit card minimum, in this car it's £10. They will happily charge £10 even if you meal is substantially below. In my case they wanted to charge a £2.30 surcharge for using a card. The food was average. Service was OK till they got aggressive when I wanted to use a card for less than £10. Avoid my experience was very unpleasant.

1  Thank alasdairferguson
hectorsbothy, Owner at Hectors Bothy, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

We have been waiting for your review since our encounter with you on Wednesday 24th April. As we explained to you our policy is that due to bank charges we do not take card payments for sums less than £10.00. Why? The simple reason is that as a small business the rates that we can negotiate from card machine suppliers are not the same as large chains or multimationals. As such in some cases we can be charged up to 45p per transaction and at those amounts it is simply not economic for us to take payments for under the sum of £10. If we did we would have to increase our prices for all customers , whether they paid by cash or card, to cover such costs and that is unfair. We wish we didn’t have to impose a minimum spend but the simple fact is that along with many other small businesses a balance needs to be struck between offering the service of paying by card and ensuring the burden of costs on us is not excessive.

The minimum spend, as you acknowledged yourself, is clearly stated on the first page of our menu and is displayed on the menus on our website. The menus first page also confirms that if customers do not wish to pay by card or will not be spending over £10 there are 3 cash machines all within a couple of minutes walk of our premises. For a small village such as ours to have 3 “free to use” cash machines within such close proximity is welcome indeed for those wishing to pay cash. We explained all of this to you and you said you did not have cash and were not prepared to go to the cash machines to withdraw cash. You then demanded, in an aggressive manner, to our staff that we put your card through for a £7.70 sale. We never suggested a £2.30 surcharge but simply made it clear that our policy was that all card sales need to be over £10. Both by then speaking to one of the on site directors and then speaking to another director on the phone we explained to you the reasons for the minimum spend but you refused to listen and demanded that we accept your card payment for lesser sum or else “we would hear from your on trip advisor”. We declined. You then produced cash from your wallet to pay your bill so we were left entirely bemused by why you had initially denied having any cash to pay your bill to our staff. Your manner was aggressive to our staff and was indeed commented on by other customers after you left. We are very lucky to serve day in day out some truly lovely customers but we too would confirm our experience of dealing with you was very unpleasant and would not wish you to come back and visit us again.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

My wife and I went here Sunday lunchtime 21st april. Can only say great food and friendly staff, cant fault the quality or quantity for the price, will call in again when in the area.

1  Thank Francis B
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Pleasant down to earth service with no expensive frills - a good range of menu - good quality food, adequate for most needs

Reviewed April 13, 2013

My wife and I visited Hector's Bothy for lunch on our day trip to Kyle of Lochalsh from Dingwall.
We know this place from some time back as a "caff" so our first impression of the café and its makeover was very positive. The owners have really transformed this into an attractive and appealing place.
Unfortunately the superlatives have to stop there as the Veggie food offering was pretty basic.
As a Vegetarian I had a couple of choices on the menu so I went for the bog standard 'veggie-burger' that is served in a bread bun and accompanied by a side salad and chips (French fries).
My wife ordered the fish cake that was also served in a bread bun with a side salad and chips which was OK.

My veggie burger arrived and I find that these are relatively cheap factory-made 'burgers' that are then deep fried. It was placed in a bread bun accompanied by some chopped salad, lettuce, with cherry tomato and some radish. Chips were golden, well cooked but strangely tasteless ? As was the Veggie burger - tasteless. This little lot was £7.50.
Was it edible ? Well, yes...but, it wasn't that enjoyable to eat. I would not consider eating 'Veggie' here again - Hector's Bothy need to raise game here for Veggies I think.