“Poor quality & over-priced”
Review of Hectors Bothy

Hectors Bothy
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast
Inverness, United Kingdom
“Poor quality & over-priced”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

My wife and I visited Hector's Bothy for lunch on our day trip to Kyle of Lochalsh from Dingwall.
We know this place from some time back as a "caff" so our first impression of the café and its makeover was very positive. The owners have really transformed this into an attractive and appealing place.
Unfortunately the superlatives have to stop there as the Veggie food offering was pretty basic.
As a Vegetarian I had a couple of choices on the menu so I went for the bog standard 'veggie-burger' that is served in a bread bun and accompanied by a side salad and chips (French fries).
My wife ordered the fish cake that was also served in a bread bun with a side salad and chips which was OK.

My veggie burger arrived and I find that these are relatively cheap factory-made 'burgers' that are then deep fried. It was placed in a bread bun accompanied by some chopped salad, lettuce, with cherry tomato and some radish. Chips were golden, well cooked but strangely tasteless ? As was the Veggie burger - tasteless. This little lot was £7.50.
Was it edible ? Well, yes...but, it wasn't that enjoyable to eat. I would not consider eating 'Veggie' here again - Hector's Bothy need to raise game here for Veggies I think.

• Polish first
Glasgow
“Excellent breakfast.”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I was in Hector's Bothy twice this weekend. The first was for breakfast and it was delicious. Really well cooked and good quality food. Second was just for a cappuccino and that was great too. It is totally transformed from the last time I was in. Really tastefully done. I have to agree with previous reviewers that mentioned staff being rushed off their feet. I went in around 1000am and by the half hour it was bursting at the seams with customers. They really needed another waiter. Most of the tables are set up for 4+ groups so a person on their own like I was had to sit at a table for 4 on my own. However someone did ask to share and I really dislike eating with strangers in cafes. It there was a wait to be seated policy it would avoid this. It would also allow waiting staff to see who was coming in. Both times I was in people left when their order wasn't taken, However my own experience was top notch and I hope as the summer season approaches they get the ladies some extra help.

1 Thank Gailnic
hectorsbothy, Owner at Hectors Bothy, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our business. We are really pleased that you liked your breakfast and the quality ingredients, including Stornoway black pudding, which we always seek to use. We are glad too that you like our new look which has gone down really well with old and new customers. We always try and make sure we have enough staff on to make sure every customer is efficiently served and well looked after. It is clear from your comments that when you visited this has not always been achieved and we are grateful for bringing it to our attention. Staff illness over the recent Easter holidays has meant that on some occasions we did not have our full compliment of staff on duty but steps have been taken to bring the team back up to full strength. We cannot praise our staff highly enough for the excellent care they give our customers day in day out even when we are very busy and can assure you that we have taken on board your comments with regard to staffing levels. Once again many thanks for your review and we look forward to you visiting us again when you are next in the area. Best wishes. Mhairi and the team.
Bolton, United Kingdom
“Very poor fish and chips”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

First visited the cafe but didn't stay long enough to order. Waitress spilt a jug of milk over dinner - put us off. Went next to there fish and chip takeaway- what a mistake. Had to be the worse fish and chips ever purchased and they were not cheep.

Fochabers, United Kingdom
“the bothy.”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

stopped off here in lochalsh on the way to skye for the toilet and a cuppa.
found hector's and as it looked ok we went in and had a tea & 2 coffees at a reasonable price.
enjoyed a chat and a bit of a view.

• Visited March 2013
London, United Kingdom
“delicious food good service”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Despite being very busy at lunchtime the staff were very attentive and the food came quickly. Delicious haggis and baked potato and a lot of locals which is always a good sign.

• Visited November 2012