“Great experience”
Review of The Old Bank House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kyle of Lochalsh
The Old Bank House
Strathaven, United Kingdom
“Great experience”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Nothing was too much trouble for Micheal.
Great breakfast very pleasant stray. Breakfast was on an order of the day. Micheal just went to the Coop across the road. Wonderful coffee.
On the way to Skye - perfect spot.
Host was very obliging and very knowledgable about area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Bill B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Köln
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Mike an Joshua are awesome. We have had a great time in the Old Bank House. Mike is a real entertainer, we enjoyed it. We love the place, everything is great. Breakfast is superior and rooms are clean. Look at the pictures!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Hugo M
Portland, Maine
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Being a student, I wanted a place that was affordable but still clean and comfortable. Thankfully, Michael provides rooms on a per person price that is both fair and works quite well for someone traveling alone like myself. Moreover, this place is located directly across from the bus and train stations (as well as everything else in town) so it was very convenient to someone like myself who did not come with a car.

I was greeted warmly by both Michael and his son, Joshua when I arrived late in the night. Michael is definitely one of the most generous and most accommodating people I have ever encountered. He went out of his way to make me and the other guests feel welcome and happy. I was lucky enough to be able to spend some time with both Michael and some of the other guests who were staying at the B&B and it was an amazing experience.

As for the house itself, everything was exceptionally clean and the breakfast that Michael makes are delicious! I mentioned that haggis might be a nice addition and Michael went out of his way to get some from an excellent butcher in the area. I can probably go on and on about how wonderful the experience is, but bottom line is that you will get clean, affordable accommodation here with the nicest host I have ever met. It is unfortunate to hear and see that some guests have taken advantage of Michael's openness and generosity. I definitely look forward to coming back to the Old Bank House again one day.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank BobbyWilby
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We stayed here for just 1 night.The host, and his son are very friendly. We arrived pretty late, and got the last room that is available on that day, with a reasonable price. Cosy bed,and free access to all the equipments in the kitchen, so we could cook our own food.
It's just within 1 min walk from the bus station, very good location.
The host is so lovely, and he showed us around the whole town the next day, and also would be glad to drive us to the castle nearby. Besides, it's also close to Skye Bridge, with fabulous views.
Thank you very much Michael, I would highly recommend this B&B to all the ppl either with a car or without a car.

Room Tip: Nice location in Kyle
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank EmilyYY_12
sheffield
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Location - this was very convenient for the Isle of Skye, which we visited briefly and Eileen Donan Castle which was our reason for being in this part of Scotland.
Hotel - This looked much better in photo's when booking. It was very run down, outside were lots of dead or overgrown plants. It was not clear where the entrance to the hotel was.
The first thing that hit me as we went into the dining/living/office area was a musty/ damp / animal smell.
Our room was average to small inside, with normal furnishings, no coffee though and I didn't feel comfortable enough to go and ask for any.! The decor was dated and bedding didn't appear to match, although appeared clean.
Shared bathroom, again average/ adequate but decor needed bringing upto date.
Breakfast was good, but we didn't linger.
Overall - I wouldn't stay there again, I didn't like sharing the bathroom, the hosts were a bit too over friendly for me. However my partner who has stayed in lots of B&B;s with his work said he found no problem with the place. I guess it will therefore depend on your expectations, as I am more used to hotel rooms than B&B's.
Last but not least we paid £70 per night for this hotel which I found to be a bit over priced. We stayed in several hotels during our travels around Scotland and all were better than this one and more reasonably priced.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kaznmark
Waddington, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 6, 2012

The hosts, Michael and his son Josh, are very friendly and welcoming. They go out of their way to ensure a pleasant stay. Josh was very kind and played with our children, sharing some of his toys with them. Service continues afterwards as well. When we left, we forgot one of our kids stuffed toys. Michael was very kind and mailed it promptly to us.

The location of the house is excellent - right by the bridge to the Isle of Skye, so easy access to the island. The house shows its age a bit, but it is clean and well provided. Breakfast was unpretentious, but good, and everyone was well fed. We shared dinner with Michael and Josh one evening, and enjoyed a pleasant evening in.

All and all, a pleasant stay.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed December 14, 2011

Stayed here 1 night with my boyfriend. The couple allowed their son to knock on our bedroom door more than once. Kind of disturbing considering we were on a couples vacation. We had to stop by the family room and listen to them read their good reviews printed off this website. Not exactly an activity one wants to participate in when spending 1 night in a town. We needed to leave early in the morning and were made very uncomfortable because we didn't want to stay for breakfast so we could catch a train. The couple rose early and knocked on our door to get us out of bed and to the breakfast table because they decided we couldnt leave without breakfast, which again interrupted our "romance". We had to sit and eat a huge breakfast and we barely made our train and had to rush about madly. For privacy and comfort, stay elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
#1 of 13 in Kyle of Lochalsh
Ardenlea
Ardenlea
#3 of 13 in Kyle of Lochalsh

Been to The Old Bank House? Share your experiences!