“Very disappointing”

Ranked #8 of 68 Restaurants in Fort William
Cuisines: European
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The food philosophy at the Lime Tree is that dishes are made here from fresh, seasonal, locally sourced raw ingredients, then made into something special by our skilled innovative Chef team 'The Lime Tree Restaurant style is one we have come to know as Fiddly Posh Scottish: Lamb with a family tree, duck that went to Gordonstoun, fish that kept its nose clean. All this technically superb, and while served in a part of the country not blessed with an abundance of fine dining, nonetheless worthy of comparison with the cities best. Fort William finally has a heavy-weight culinary destination.' Sunday Times Restaurant The Lime Tree Restaurant is a multi award winning restaurant - Silver Eat Scotland - Two AA Rosette - Relish Good Food Guide Top Twenty Scottish Small Restaurant Private dining - Our fantastic Gallery Space is the perfect location when for Private Dinning or Special Celebrations. We can seat up to 50 persons and our Chef will tailor a meal to suit your requirements.
Florence
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

We were a party of six who had booked this restaurant by recommendation as a celebration after completing the West Highland Way. There was no one at reception when we arrived and we had to find a staff member who greeted us in a very off hand manner, led us into a chilly lounge and didn't even take our coats from us. The drinks we ordered took rather a long time to arrive and when we were given the menu, we were informed there was only one portion left of one of the two meat dishes. As we had booked for 7.30 pm three weeks previously, we were hardly unexpected late arrivals so we asked what time we needed to arrive to ensure we had the full menu choice. We were told 6.00 - 6.30 pm! There was no real apology and we were all surprised at this attitude in a Michelin star restaurant. The other members of our group said their food was good but as a vegetarian I was disappointed in my meal which seemed very unbalanced with a minute amount of risotto and two large overcooked goats cheese fritters surrounded by soggy rocket and dollops of balsamic vinegar. We had no problem with the two girls serving us as they were friendly and helpful, but overall the experience was a great disappointment and I would not recommend the Lime Tree to anyone else.

Visited May 2013

Adelaide, Australia
“Excellent and good value”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

We were recommended this place by the proprietor of our B&B, and were delighted with it. As some reviewers have noted, they attempted to have us sit in the lounge prior to ordering, but we just declined and went straight to the table. We also experienced this elsewhere in Scotland, maybe this is a local custom? Anyway, the food was excellent, proper fine dining in a comfortable and relaxed ambience, the attention to detail was great, excellent flavour combinations, nice sized portions (not too big) a good variety of wines and 3 courses for GBP 29. Really a pleasure.

• Visited May 2013
“Good food not matched by service”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

As noted by others, on arrival, even though we were expected, and the table was not full, we were asked to wait in the reception area. Waiting on uncomfortable conservatory furniture we were expected to choose from the menu. Whilst offered the chance to start our drinks, we were keen to get to our table. If the reception area was more welcoming this may have been a more pleasurable experience, although why we were not allowed to the table is unclear.
Generally the food was of a very high standard, but this was let down by the smaller details. Staff bringing over other peoples drinks orders, having plates cleared whilst still chewing my last mouthful, bread served in a cracked bread bowl, having to ask for the bill twice....having to go through to reception to pay the bill. It is a shame that these smaller details let down the experience. When going to a 'fine' restaurant I would suggest that the food needs to be complemented by good service. Good food on its own is half the experience.

Paris, France
“Definitely not worth it...”
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

As anyone can see from my profile I am not an over active reviewer on trip advisor. However when a meal is so over the top in either a good or bad way I feel the need to comment. In this case it was the latter, very dissappointing. I have been to a number of fine restaurants and I often like finding excellent chefs in out of the way locations. I was hoping that a former one-star Michelin chef in fort William would be another to add to the list; boy was I wrong. Don't get me wrong, the food was acceptable, but at this price point, especially in a far flung corner like fort William you expect something more.

After having reserved a table at 8:30, we arrived promptly. We were told that we should wait in the lobby to order. Why? We were told this makes it easier for the chef. The restaurant wasn't busy and our table was not full. A full thirty minutes later with no drinks or food in front of us we were finally seated. I will spare you all the details but to sum up, the food was mediocre and expensive and the service was well below the standard of everything else that we received in Scotland (even in pubs). I believe that the chef gained some very basic cliches from his previous work (e.g. plating and unusual food combinations) without grasping the fact that for this to be worth while the food has to taste excellent and the service be up to par. After a few days in Scotland I suspect I would have been more satisfied with the pub food down the street and would have had quite a few more pounds left in my pocket.

2 Thank dbsaw
“Excellent food”
Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

The food is excellent! Good starter, main and dessert. Only strange thing is that when you enter the restaurant they first put you in one of the lobbies. One is very nice, the other (closest to the restaurant enterance) not so... We waited a bit and then decided to ask by ourselfs if we could go to the table. Strange way of working and strange they don't explain it, but when you know it is ok. Wine list is ok as well.

1 Thank Kvelderen