“Good food not matched by service”
Review of Lime Tree

Lime Tree
Ranked #8 of 69 Restaurants in Fort William
Cuisines: European
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The food philosophy at the Lime Tree is that dishes are made here from fresh, seasonal, locally sourced raw ingredients, then made into something special by our skilled innovative Chef team 'The Lime Tree Restaurant style is one we have come to know as Fiddly Posh Scottish: Lamb with a family tree, duck that went to Gordonstoun, fish that kept its nose clean. All this technically superb, and while served in a part of the country not blessed with an abundance of fine dining, nonetheless worthy of comparison with the cities best. Fort William finally has a heavy-weight culinary destination.' Sunday Times Restaurant The Lime Tree Restaurant is a multi award winning restaurant - Silver Eat Scotland - Two AA Rosette - Relish Good Food Guide Top Twenty Scottish Small Restaurant Private dining - Our fantastic Gallery Space is the perfect location when for Private Dinning or Special Celebrations. We can seat up to 50 persons and our Chef will tailor a meal to suit your requirements.
Reviewed May 16, 2013

As noted by others, on arrival, even though we were expected, and the table was not full, we were asked to wait in the reception area. Waiting on uncomfortable conservatory furniture we were expected to choose from the menu. Whilst offered the chance to start our drinks, we were keen to get to our table. If the reception area was more welcoming this may have been a more pleasurable experience, although why we were not allowed to the table is unclear.
Generally the food was of a very high standard, but this was let down by the smaller details. Staff bringing over other peoples drinks orders, having plates cleared whilst still chewing my last mouthful, bread served in a cracked bread bowl, having to ask for the bill twice....having to go through to reception to pay the bill. It is a shame that these smaller details let down the experience. When going to a 'fine' restaurant I would suggest that the food needs to be complemented by good service. Good food on its own is half the experience.

Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

As anyone can see from my profile I am not an over active reviewer on trip advisor. However when a meal is so over the top in either a good or bad way I feel the need to comment. In this case it was the latter, very dissappointing. I have been to a number of fine restaurants and I often like finding excellent chefs in out of the way locations. I was hoping that a former one-star Michelin chef in fort William would be another to add to the list; boy was I wrong. Don't get me wrong, the food was acceptable, but at this price point, especially in a far flung corner like fort William you expect something more.

After having reserved a table at 8:30, we arrived promptly. We were told that we should wait in the lobby to order. Why? We were told this makes it easier for the chef. The restaurant wasn't busy and our table was not full. A full thirty minutes later with no drinks or food in front of us we were finally seated. I will spare you all the details but to sum up, the food was mediocre and expensive and the service was well below the standard of everything else that we received in Scotland (even in pubs). I believe that the chef gained some very basic cliches from his previous work (e.g. plating and unusual food combinations) without grasping the fact that for this to be worth while the food has to taste excellent and the service be up to par. After a few days in Scotland I suspect I would have been more satisfied with the pub food down the street and would have had quite a few more pounds left in my pocket.

2  Thank dbsaw
Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

The food is excellent! Good starter, main and dessert. Only strange thing is that when you enter the restaurant they first put you in one of the lobbies. One is very nice, the other (closest to the restaurant enterance) not so... We waited a bit and then decided to ask by ourselfs if we could go to the table. Strange way of working and strange they don't explain it, but when you know it is ok. Wine list is ok as well.

1  Thank Kvelderen
Reviewed May 2, 2013

One of the culinary highlights of my 2012 Scotland trip. Visited the restaurant and was very impressed. The food was exceptional and the presentation was lovely. It was all jam packed with flavor. Particularly liked the crab bisque which was part of the completely free aperitif!. The service was friendly and helpful and the final bill was very very reasonable. Overall makes this one of my best dining experiences in the U,K.

Before my starter had arrived, another customer, a French gentleman went into the kitchen to seek out the head chef to shake his hand as his meal was so good. This made me realise I was in for a treat!.

Apologies for the blurry photos, I was trying to take them discreetly.

1  Thank el_jefe2012
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Located near the first roundabout and the West End Hotel as you drive alongside Loch Linnhe into town there is car parking to the side and rear of the building. I walked to enjoy some wine with my meal - it’s about 25 minutes from Nevis Bank Hotel at the opposite side of town.

The restaurant and hotel are housed in an attractive stone built property set back from the road in it’s own garden.

When I arrived the hostess was engaged with a telephone enquiry however it gave me an opportunity to take a look at the lounges either side of the entrance - the one to the right as you come in had a roaring fire, deep settees and a number of nice paintings on the wall. I browsed the menu and had a glass from the Pinot Noir I had ordered in a relaxed atmosphere (note that some half bottles are available).

There is a good, small and varied selection of dishes available for each course. I opted for Guinea Fowl for starters and Venison for mains.

Guests are accompanied through to the dining area which has an open counter to see through into the kitchen. The room has a nice feel to it - the furnishings, lighting, décor and art all create the mood for dining - and I was on my own! It would be good setting for a romantic meal or a small family gathering.

First up was the Amuse Bouche which was described by my hostess - and which I promptly forgot. Nevertheless each item was tasty, with an exceptional soup amongst them. Next came the Guinea Fowl which was delicious and just a nice portion size for a starter. A few other guests were arriving in the meantime and I was settling for a very enjoyable experience. For mains I had opted for the venison which I must admit I haven’t chosen that often in the past. It was disappointingly chewy which I subsequently discovered may have related to the length of time it had been hung, whether it had been tenderised enough or if the marinade had worked. Not wishing to make a fuss I chewed on…and on. I’m sure that I was unlucky as many others have reported on TA having particularly enjoyed the venison.

To finish I chose the cheesecake which was served with a succulent poached pear and ice cream.

Having expressed an interest in the surrounding art work the hostess suggested that I could have a look around the gallery on the premises after dinner which I did. By chance I was introduced to the owner and artist as I headed through with a glass of Amaretto in hand and enjoyed a look around at the work before returning to the lounge to finish my drink. A few other guests gathered there for the same purpose and it was a good way to round off the evening prior to the walk back to my hotel.

I’ll look forward to a return visit when I venture to Fort William in future - the ambiance, the service, the presentation and taste of most of the food were very good and at £29.95 for 3 courses exceptional value.

2  Thank Rantin rover