“Rude!!”

Ranked #10 of 70 Restaurants in Fort William
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We popped in to ask whether we could pop in for a drink and the reception we received was awful. I didn't think Scotland was snooty (I'm from Sussex originally, where it can be!!) but the few seconds we were here, the guy had an attitude!

6  Thank Sophie W

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Great food - not a great fusion of flavours to be truthful - but it's honest, high quality local ingredients ticking the boxes for the Michelin inspectors. The hot cranachan souffle was the highlight for me, whilst the rest of the £67.00 dinner menu was good, if not kicking butts.

Then the rest. If you want an olde fashionede castle, where you expect the ill-tempered laird to pop his head around one of the equally olde fashionede dining rooms - then you are going to love this joint.

The atmosphere is a bit stiff and I'll be honest, I didn't find the staff on duty during our culinary outing to be especially friendly. Then there is the insane rule that all males must be trussed up in a jacket and tie at dinner. I can go to three stars establishments in London or throughout France without being trussed up. I can wear a very nice linen suit from Milano and an open neck shirt and no-one complains. Except here. You lot need to get a grip and spring yourself into the 21st century. I complied of course, but it was the most hideous tie I could find - shame it didn't light up.

For the area (just outside a debacle of a town with a by-pass through it rather than around it), it is very expensive; for a three course one star dinner, from £64 - without envrions taken into account - good value I suppose.

Factor in the atmosphere - or to be precise lack of it, some staff showing passive aggressiveness (yes, they did and I have 3 others who will concur) and the olde fashionede rooms and rather expensive drinks - there are better places to spend your hard earned cash. Maybe not in Fort William - but not that far away.

Such a shame the food is so excellent and the rest of the experience so lame. Might have been better with a flashing tie?!!

4  Thank IanCar
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We booked here as my boyfriend is a real foodie and fan of trying the michelin starred restaurants. The castle inside and out is impressive. When we arrived I don't think they had our booking as appeared a little surprised. We were shown into the drawing room for a drink suggesting 'a glass of champagne'? to which we replied no thanks 'a fino sherry and a G&T please' (our host at our B&B had mentioned glasses of champagne are around £18 each!!). My boyfriend had to wear a jacket in the dining room which they kindly fitted him out with (is this really necessary these days???). The meal itself was exceptional and our waitress was nice. It was just a little pretentious/austere and unnecessarily so making it a slightly uncomfortable experience I'm sad to say. Our wine waiter tried to sell us one of two very limited released wines he'd sauced from bollinger...!! And as nice and very knowledgeable as he was it just felt a bit too much. The wine list was exceptionally expensive for even the most ordinary of wines and I felt this spoilt the experience a little. We've dined in some very nice places and find a more relaxed, less formal approach with reasonably priced wine to complement the meal a much much nicer experience. The bill including service for the al a carte menu with the pre dinner drinks and a bottle of £58 wine (this was the best I could see out of the more cheaper options!) came to £240. We'd previously enjoyed a fantastic set menu at half the price with great wine at a french restaurant on our holiday and this just didn't quite live up to the experience. However The food was fantastic and if I was only rating that I would be giving Inverlochy Castle an 'Excellent' rating. Every mouthful was divine. Sadly we didn't see much of what is a fantastic view as the blinds were pulled down (understandably due to the sun shining in) and were put on a table right at the back of the dining room (felt a little bit like the 'poor' cousins shuffled into the corner - wasn't quite the romantic meal either of us had hoped it would be).

1  Thank Susan M
Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

Had a business related lunch here at someone else's expense and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Presumably not their usual clientele, we arrived dripping wet in motorcycle clothing and were shown to a room to change before the dining room. Staff wre attentive, informative, all drinks topped up etc. food very good, cheesecake desert amazing and despite some similar establishments offering small portions that are more art than food, this two course meal both tasted great and filled you up for an afternoon's riding through Scotland.
Looking at the prices since, I would return for the lunch menu.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

We went there for a dinner on the night of the 30th of March. The place is beautiful but very comfortable and not stuffy at all. The food was incredible as you would expect from a Michelin starred restaurant. Highly recommended for a special occasion or if your budget allows regular fine dining. The hotel was booked out so we couldn't stay there. The staff were lovely and very helpful. Not annoying or overbearing in any way.