“Not as good as it sounds from other reviews”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Fort William
Myrtle Bank Guest House
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Fort William
London, United Kingdom
“Not as good as it sounds from other reviews”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

The Myrtle Bank Guest House is very clean, the staff (when we saw them) were reasonably friendly but it lacked any personality for us. There is nothing wrong with this guest house if you're looking simply for a clean room and bed for the night and not somewhere special to have fond memories off.

We stayed here for two nights in Sept 2012 and were given a room in the main house with a loch view. The room was very clean and neat but rather old fashioned in our opinion. The dark furniture didn't do anything for the room and we felt that the room didn't feel very inviting. The en-suite was a very small shower/toilet/tiny sink in what seemed like a cupboard. There were no shelves to put anything and the complimentary shampoos were sachets. All our toiletries had to be stored on the toilet cistern. Despite the towels being very small, there was no room to hang them in the shower room and they had to be stored on a towel rail outside the shower room door! Everything was very clean, the shower worked great but it felt a little like a caravan bathroom.

This B& B is very large and I think there are two houses next to each other (although I am not 100 sure of this). The reason I mention this is because the parking is very bad. You cannot park at the front of the house as it is on a main road, so you must park in the car park at the rear which only has spaces for a few cars and I should imagine that there are many more rooms than this. Most cars were double parked and when I mentioned this on checking in, I was told not to worry as the owner owns all of the houses in the vicinity. This gives you a feel that this is not a ‘quaint B&B’.

We had breakfast the first day and in our opinion it was very poor quality. The cereal bar contained 4 Tupperware-type boxes of cheap cereals and one fruit juice option (a jug of orange juice). When the waitress asked us what we would like for breakfast I asked to see the menu. She explained there wasn't one and that she would just tell us what there was. She reeled off very quickly 'Full English, bacon, sausage, egg, vegetarian or healthy option of fruit blah blah blah' - I don't know what she said! - It was far too early for someone to quickly list a selection of food that I was not expecting. Why couldn't I have read a short menu, calmly and at my leisure before ordering? This was all too much so I simply said that I would have the full English (I wanted a Scottish but this was not available – I was only in Scotland after all!). I asked for the bacon and sausage to be very well cooked (crisply would be good) as I struggle eating fatty meat. When the breakfast arrived it looked dreadful. The sausage was pink and the bacon was very poor quality. I could not eat the meal so just ate the toast. I tried to wash it down with coffee but that was dreadful too. When the waitress collected the plates she didn’t even ask how the food was, she just took the plates away. Clearly something was wrong if I had not eaten hardly anything.

I would normally complain and give feedback at the time if I am not happy but I did not in this instance so I must point out that I did not give them a chance to rectify anything. The reason that I did not complain was that I did not feel valued or welcome. The chef (maybe the owners partner/husband) was giving of a bad vibe from the kitchen, the waitress looked like she couldn’t care less so why should I?

This hallways and public areas within this B&B were very, very warm (read boiling). As I mentioned previously, this B&B is exceptionally clean, tidy and fine but it feels more like a posh OAPs home where the owners are simply about making money (they only accept cash) and not so much about service. If you’re over 70, it’ll be perfect I’m sure. Under that I would suggest you find somewhere elsewhere.

I would definitely not stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Justpen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Ballarat, Australia
Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

we ended up at myrtle bank because our booked b&b had to cancel due to unforseen circumstances and they arranged other accommodation for us at myrtle bank. we were very grateful but also very unsure about our new booking given we had no idea where it was. when we got to this accommodation we were pleasantly surprised.we had a large bedroom on the top floor which was twice the size of rooms we have stayed in elsewhere. the bathroom was also very spacious. the view from the room looked over the loch. there were a number of other guests at this venue but we didnt notice. breakfast was tasty and staff were pleasant. no complaints about this accommodation and as it is only a short walk to town I would recommend it and the room on the top floor.

• Stayed April 2013
Glasgow
Reviewed April 27, 2013

...answered. 5 lads, 5 bikes and Dora kindly set us up with rooms and secure storage for the bikes. Well presented Bed & Breakfast inside and out. Grounds are well maintained with a stunning view over Loch Linnhe. Staff were friendly and polite.
Breakfast.. Great porridge....perfect pouched eggs with toast and tastie Bacon and coffee strong, the way I like it. Set me up for the long cycle home.

Second trip already booked and wished I'd spent more of my time at Fort William here previously.
Thank you.

Room Tip: I got the single flatlet to the rear of the building, but I think a front facing was a six in the ne...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 24, 2013

This is the 3rd time that our group has stayed at the MyrtleBank guest house and just as both of our previous visits it was a great stay. The owner "Dora" is a very welcoming person, the guest house is very clean and modern. The breakfast is tasty and plentiful and the view from the dinning room is second to none, especially on a sunny morning. We walked into the town centre in the evening and this was a walk of about 5 minutes. We arrived on motorcycles, the parking is secure and off the main road.
In all a great place to stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Ron S
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We picked the Myrtle Bank because of its Trip Advisor reviews, and yet again we were not disappointed. A stunning view from our bedroom across the Loch; a fabulous room with a great modern bathroom (drizzle and power shower combo), a comfy bed and room to chill and a great breakfast topped off with a warm welcome, ample parking spaces and just a leap and a bound form the centre of Fort William. What's not to like! Our hosts got the right balance between friendly and available.

Definitely a gem of a B&B and a great base whatever your reason for being in such a lovely part of the world! :-)

Zaventem
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Very nice and large guest house, located on the banks of Loch Linnhe. The rooms are great, large, clean and very comfortable. The staff is very friendly and breakfast was great. Location is also very good, just outside of Fort William, so very quiet, but within easy walking distance of the town if you want to go out. Make sure to have a room on the front side with view on the lake.

Room Tip: Take a room on the front side to have a great view of the Loch Linnhe.
1 Thank BartjeP
Stuttgart, Germany
Reviewed April 15, 2013

The Myrtle Bank is easy to find, right on the road into Fort William. It is a five minute walk into town so no need to drive after visiting the pub. Our room was on the ground floor and very comfortable. The building is historic with adequate parking behind the building. Breakfast was great. I wish we could have stayed longer.

Room Tip: The loch side rooms also face the road. During colder weather with the windows closed, this is not...