“An excellent experience. First class guiding.”

Lochaber Guides - Private Day Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: We offer guided mountain walking in Summer and Winter in the West Highlands. We specialise in ascents of Ben Nevis via either the Mountain Track or the Carn Mor Dearg Arete. We also offer Hill Skills and Navigation Courses as well as Winter Skills and Rock Climbing. We are based locally in Fort William and our qualified and experienced guides will be there to look after you all the way!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
“An excellent experience. First class guiding.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

I have made three trips to Ben Nevis this winter with Dave as guide. It has been a great experience seeing the mountains in the snow and with a very knowledgable and experienced guide. Great fun and exhilarating. I can't recommend the winter experience and Dave highly enough. Despite some challenging weather conditions, it was great.

Visited April 2014

8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Customized experience, door to door service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

Had a really fabulous experience walking with James around the Ben Nevis North Face. Everything was perfectly organized and explained by Dave Anderson ahead of time so I had nothing to worry about on the day of the walk. As I am not an experienced hiker, the checklist of things needed for the walk was particularly helpful. (Bring your waterproofs, people!) They made sure that I had the best possible day based on my abilities and interests. James' passion for the Scottish outdoors makes it impossible not to appreciate the landscape, even in the rain and snow. I hope to come back to the area to learn some climbing from them in the future.

Wexford, Ireland
“A Windy Winter Wonderland!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2014

Our first experience hiking in snow, hip-deep, attaching crampons to our hiking boots along with using ice axes to our advantage, and certainly not our last! Dave Buckett instilled a sense of confidence and safety in us both. A truly professional, and highly organised service that we couldn't rate highly enough. Dave Anderson kept in regular contact via email prior to our trip and ensured that we were both well prepared for the challenge. However nothing can prepare you for the sheer thrill of hiking across ice, crossing gullies and eventually reaching the summit. Despite the conditions being pretty inclement with temperatures of -4 and a wind chill of -15 degrees, accompanied by gusts of up to 60km per hour, helping to spray hailstones across our face each time we turned into the wind, Dave's patience, encouragement and accurate knowledge of the mountain made our trip up Ben Nevis a highly memorable one. We were so chuffed to hear a number of people had turned back due to extreme weather conditions!!! We began as beginners and finished as professionals!!!!! The memories will last a lifetime!

London, United Kingdom
“Winter skills weekend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2014

Whether you're hip deep in snow on the mountain or in the pub having a pint by the fire, you want Dave with you! He's an excellent guide--he really knows the mountains, so he can advise you both on whether or not conditions will allow a summit and on good alternative options if the weather is just too grim (or the snow too avalanche-prone). Despite truly impressive winds, we did reach a summit, thanks to his choice of munros to climb. We learned a lot in two days, and not just the technical skills we were scheduled to cover. Dave could answer any question, no matter how seemingly inconsequential, about climbing behaviours, snow quality, or mountain conditions.

Moreover, he has just the right amount of enthusiasm and encouragement. It never felt like a chirpy scout leader was pushing us on, and we never felt rushed or pressured, but his calm "Ready? Let's go, then!" always came at the right time. And his enthusiasm for mountaineering is contagious--now I want to go back and do some ice climbing. Plus, it's always a bonus when a guide is a genuinely interesting, funny person like Dave. Makes even the worst weather feel sunny! Can't recommend him and Lochaber Guides enough--everything was organized perfectly and ready for us to turn up and head for the snow.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Ben Nevis Winter”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

I wouldn't have made it up without Dave - his remarkably honest guidelines prior to the ascent ensured I was prepared for the challenge (despite the short-notice booking), and his equally remarkable patience, friendliness, and mountaineering expertise made my day as painless as a hike up Ben Nevis could be.

He was wonderful company, and eager to share is considerable expertise, explaining details on avalanche risk, snow structure, local geography, and obviously the winter skills necessary for the climb. We had a good laugh, and I am absolutely sure that without his encouragement I would have turned back when my thighs, knees and mind became lead bricks. As it was, I made it, and now have memories I will never lose.

Cheers Dave!