Ben Nevis Hotel & Leisure Club
Ranked #14 of 21 Hotels in Fort William
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 19, 2013

We were staying in a rented cottage and as part of the package, we received free access to the Ben Nevis leisure club facilities.
Firstly, the gym. It felt a little cramped in there with machines stationed along both sides creating a narrow passage from door the the far side. It felt like they were trying to fit as much as possible in as small a room as possible. They had the usual cardio machines like exercise bike, cross trainer, rowing machine and treadmill, and a few strength building machines that i didn't use.
There was a small sauna and small steam room to relax in with an adequate size pool. There is however no childrens part of the pool, so bear that in if you want to bring young children or toddlers there. The hot tub annoyed me a little. It was programmed that around every 10 minutes it would switch off and go through some sort of cleaning phase, and there was so much chlorine it it that your eyes would immediately sting to moment you stepped foot in it.

There is plenty of parking and you get a free towel, so that is nice

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
BenNevisManager, Manager at Ben Nevis Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our Leisure Club. We take note of the points that you have raised.

The hot tub runs on the manufactures programme for cleaning and chlorine addition etc, along with this our Leisure Team take regular water samples to ensure that the levels are correct and the results and any action taken are recorded.

The Gym layout was done in consultation with Thecnogym, the equipment manufactures, to give the best layout possible for the space available. As you will have seen we have several of the same piece of equipment so that our Members, Hotel Guests etc don’t have to wait to use them.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,017)

Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

I can honestly say I am very disappointed with this hotel. Stayed here the end of August with my 6 year old little girl who had climbed Ben Nevis for charity and we chose this hotel thinking we were getting luxury. After a big event for such a little girl I wanted the best- what a shame I picked this hotel.
We arrived back at the hotel at 9.30 to be told that the last table in the restaurant was 9.30 so we couldn't eat. I asked for a local takeaway to be told they didn't know any! After finally connecting to their poor internet (which could only be accessed in reception) I found one in the centre. I asked for some plates and forks and was told these would be brought to our room. I had booked two rooms. When the porter came over he had only forks so I asked for plates. Very rudely he said he wasn't told that I needed them and I would have to wait around half a hour as he wasn't walking over to the annexe where our room was straight away- as "it's tiring"! I was absolutely astounded!
The annexe itself is awful. We were put on the first floor- as far as I'm aware there was no lift. Which was quite difficult with luggage, a tired and achy six year old and no offer of help. The rooms are dated, the bathroom was no better and there was a smell of damp. I paid over £200 per room on the dates we have stayed. I have complained to the hotel but still waiting for a response two months later!
Breakfast was good, and the pool and spa facilities were always great.
It is a shame that such a big event for my girl was spoilt by poor service and terrible rooms. The bed we had in our room was very hard and we found it difficult to get comfortable.
Will definitely be looking elsewhere should we return to this area.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Shell1922
BenNevisManager, Manager at Ben Nevis Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

We offer our apologies for your disappointing stay with us and ask if you could contact us direct as we have not received any correspondence from you

Reviewed November 8, 2013

this was our first visit to the Ben Nevis hotel and we were pleasantly surprised at the fantastic value for money. our room in the annex( 511)was large warm and very comfortable, king size comfy bed, plenty of tea and coffee supplies, bathroom adequate( but could do with a bit of an update). Food was lovely, buffet breakfast with more choice than ive ever seen!!! Evening meals were 3 course and very tasty and well presented and hot. I took advantage of the great swimming pool and sauna which were spotlessly clean and well looked after even providing all shower gels towels ect. Last but not least the staff are a credit to the hotel, very helpful and hard working. We will be back!!!!

Room Tip: annex top floor so no noise from people overhead (note no lift)
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
BenNevisManager, Manager at Ben Nevis Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your stay with us, we really do appreciate it.

We look forward to welcoming and looking after you again sometime

Reviewed November 1, 2013

Having read some of these reviews , I cant help but think they are being a bit unfair.I stay here many times a year for weeks at a time as I work away a lot.Yes, I could stay in hotels that are a bit better inside,But, to be honest one hotel room is much like another, what you do get here is a fantastic service from the staff.These folks burst their butts day in day out, frankly for not a lot of money.
The hotel IS upgrading the rooms and you can notice the difference in some of them.
Behind the bar you have The prince of mince,Michael who if he was any more camp he would be a tent,Lorna(smile, go on..try it..it dont hurt..).The polish girl who i sadly cant remember her name!,Mrs McHooters aka Shannon,Stewart aka Hobbs the skittle machine,front of house you have David,wee Morgan and Claire.Many more staff who I should mention but am A-too lazy and B-awful with names!.Looking forward to my return trip in january!

Room Tip: Rooms can be hit and miss, lots of improvements going on, end of the day its just someplace to put y...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
BenNevisManager, Manager at Ben Nevis Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Brian, Thank you for taking the time to post a review it really is appreciated. It is always a pleasure to have you staying with us and we look forward to seeing you in the New Year.

We also wish to thank you for confirming that we do have a refurbishment plan running.

Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here as group of 16 over 2 nights as we were climbing Ben Nevis that weekend.
The hotel itself is really big. There's a big bar and dining hall where you can order food.
My room was in the main building and I had a double bed and the room wasn't bad.

Some others in my group had much smaller rooms with single beds and had to go outside to a different part of the hotel to get to their rooms. Even in the main part of the hotel, the rooms are varied. My room was older and bit worn/ dated with an ancient tv but on the other wing the rooms were renovated and had LCD's.

I think the price we paid wasn't too bad for the area though. Another thing - the hotel was boiling hot, I had to leave my window open for the entire 2 days to get the room at a normal temperature!

We had dinner in the dining hall the first night. The food was average and came out really late. The following day we organised packed lucked from the hotel for the climb and there was mould on the bread of one of group member's sandwich. Not the best thing to find after you reach the top and want to have a bite before climbing back down!

On the bright side, the bar is great for a big group to hang out and prices are good.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Varshee
BenNevisManager, Manager at Ben Nevis Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

Thank you for taking time to review your stay with us. You may have read in previous replies we have made that we do have a refurbishment programme, set by our Head Office which we are part way trough. This does include flat screen TVs.

All your comments are noted and will be pass on to the Department involved.

Reviewed October 24, 2013

We stayed at this hotel as part of a package deal and I have to admit to being pleasantly surprised. The food was well above average, The staff and service were brilliant. The room was fairly spacious and comfortable. Add to this some great whisky at the bar and all was sheer happiness.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking time to review your stay with us. It’s good to hear that you enjoyed your stay and hope that we will be able to look after you again sometime

Reviewed October 20, 2013

We were a group of walkers and picked this hotel for its location. It exceeded our expectataions, the rooms were nice , the service and food was above average. The breakfasts were exceptionallly good.The pool and spa were a great extra. At the price we paid this was a great find.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
BenNevisManager, Manager at Ben Nevis Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay we really do appreciate your kind words and hope that we will be able to look after you again some time.