“A welcome place for rest after hiking”
Review of Cruachan Hotel

Cruachan Hotel
Ranked #15 of 21 Hotels in Fort William
Wellingborough, United Kingdom
“A welcome place for rest after hiking”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We spent 2 nights here while on a motorbike tour. Our room was clean and comfortable and a good breakfast was had in the morning. Staff were very friendly and John? at breakfast made us feel at home. Location is very good and just a 5 minute walk into Fort William. A 5 minute drive or 30 minute walk to the start of the Mountain Track for Ben Nevis.
Lounge area and reception very modern looking and great view across the loch from the bar and patio area. A nice place to relax after a tough day walking to the summit of Ben Nevis.
Walls are thin so take ear plugs as someone has already suggested but this would not stop me booking this place again.

Good value

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Steve A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Thai first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 25, 2013

This seems to be one of the few hotels that cater for large groups in the highlands and therefore they enjoy good trade but individual travellers suffer as a result. For the same price one would be much better served by the many b&bs that are available in the area.
My room overlooked a wall and another rooms window and was simply tiny. It was clean but should at best be used for staff.
I also find it puzzling that all breakfast fruit came out of tins and found the food quite horrible. The entrance and bar have been updated but that does not make up for canned food and tiny bedrooms.

Room Tip: make sure you get a room overlooking the loch rather than one towards the back
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Fort William hotels

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I spent 2 nights in the hotel and found it to be clean and welcoming.
On arrival I was asked if I wished to have my bags taken to my room, which was on the first floor. The bedroom looked out over a flat roof towards the loch, and was well furnished and faultless. During my stay, all the members of staff to whom I spoke were cheery and helpful.
The first breakfast was too much for me, and on the second morning I had to ask for half portions.. At night I ate in the bar, where there was pleasant music played at an appropriate level, and both bar meals were also very good.
Although I have severe back problems, I had two good nights sleep, and found that the Hotel was within walking distance of both bus and train stations (although I wouldn't want to drag my case over that distance)
I was very impressed and plan to return there in the future.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

Visited this hotel for a night on my travels. First impressions were not great. Dark and dingey appearance, rooms were small and dark. Food was adequate. Staff were pleasant enough. I have visitied better places recently. Dont think I wil be back.

• Stayed June 2013
Trinidad
Reviewed June 8, 2013

We were welcomed by friendly reception staff who kindly offered to carry our cases to our room. I was a bit alarmed that they thought I might not be capable of making the second floor unaided when it was my intention to trek to the summit of Ben Nevis the following morning! The room was spacious enough and spotlessly clean. However, the walls and ceiling were paper thin and we could clearly hear the exploits of our neighbours! But with ear plugs my nights stay was comfortable. Breakfast was tasty and filling although a little greasy.
The bar and lounge have stunning views of the loch and they were a pleasant place to relax after a long day. When checking out the receptionist was keen to hear our views on the hotel and we were told that sound proofing was work in progress.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 1, 2013

the only slight down side to this very nice hotel is that it doesn't have a lift ( spread over 3 floors ) other than that I have no complaints at all. my room was very comfy and well appointed and the cooked breakfast was delicious , as I regularly visit fort William on business I will definitely be back to this hotel.

Room Tip: rooms to the front have a beautiful loch view
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We booked into this hotel, it was nice, though it had stairs, we were given a loch view room as promised. The breakfast was really nice and fulfilling. The property is Victorian but lovingly and tastefully decorated and has a modern touch. The staff were very helpful, the check-in staff let us keep our luggage as we had arrived early, the breakfast staff were also very professional and were always smiling. The stay was comfortable, a bit tricky to start the bath though as the bath fittings were quite modern and needing a little demonstration from staff...lol..!! All in all a nice experience and I would recommend this place to anyone visiting Fort William and I would also love to go there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a Loch View room, there a quite a few.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family