“Very comfortable”

Ranked #15 of 21 Hotels in Fort William
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Very comfortable”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I spent 2 nights in the hotel and found it to be clean and welcoming.
On arrival I was asked if I wished to have my bags taken to my room, which was on the first floor. The bedroom looked out over a flat roof towards the loch, and was well furnished and faultless. During my stay, all the members of staff to whom I spoke were cheery and helpful.
The first breakfast was too much for me, and on the second morning I had to ask for half portions.. At night I ate in the bar, where there was pleasant music played at an appropriate level, and both bar meals were also very good.
Although I have severe back problems, I had two good nights sleep, and found that the Hotel was within walking distance of both bus and train stations (although I wouldn't want to drag my case over that distance)
I was very impressed and plan to return there in the future.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Thai first
Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

Visited this hotel for a night on my travels. First impressions were not great. Dark and dingey appearance, rooms were small and dark. Food was adequate. Staff were pleasant enough. I have visitied better places recently. Dont think I wil be back.

• Stayed June 2013
Trinidad
Reviewed June 8, 2013

We were welcomed by friendly reception staff who kindly offered to carry our cases to our room. I was a bit alarmed that they thought I might not be capable of making the second floor unaided when it was my intention to trek to the summit of Ben Nevis the following morning! The room was spacious enough and spotlessly clean. However, the walls and ceiling were paper thin and we could clearly hear the exploits of our neighbours! But with ear plugs my nights stay was comfortable. Breakfast was tasty and filling although a little greasy.
The bar and lounge have stunning views of the loch and they were a pleasant place to relax after a long day. When checking out the receptionist was keen to hear our views on the hotel and we were told that sound proofing was work in progress.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 1, 2013

the only slight down side to this very nice hotel is that it doesn't have a lift ( spread over 3 floors ) other than that I have no complaints at all. my room was very comfy and well appointed and the cooked breakfast was delicious , as I regularly visit fort William on business I will definitely be back to this hotel.

Room Tip: rooms to the front have a beautiful loch view
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We booked into this hotel, it was nice, though it had stairs, we were given a loch view room as promised. The breakfast was really nice and fulfilling. The property is Victorian but lovingly and tastefully decorated and has a modern touch. The staff were very helpful, the check-in staff let us keep our luggage as we had arrived early, the breakfast staff were also very professional and were always smiling. The stay was comfortable, a bit tricky to start the bath though as the bath fittings were quite modern and needing a little demonstration from staff...lol..!! All in all a nice experience and I would recommend this place to anyone visiting Fort William and I would also love to go there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a Loch View room, there a quite a few.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2013

The Cruachan Hotel is clean, and the lounge, bar and dining rooms are appointed and decorated in a modern style. Our bedroom was clean and modern. It had all the normal room requirements, but they all seemed cheaply functional rather than comfortable and appealing. The TV volume control and the bathroom light did not work, and the door stop on the floor could be dangerous to older people.
Our main complaint was the staff. They were obviously untrained, and there was a shortage of them. The reception was not manned, anyone answered the phone, eventually, and the computerised system was beyond the man who checked us out. He undercharged us by £70 which I honestly pointed out to him. During the stay I never spoke to any staff member with a scottish accent.
Now the food. An example, Salmon and Asparagus. Ten inch (25cm) woody Asparagus, heavy in garlic and the greyist Salmon I've ever seen. Garlic was even on the breakfast mushrooms, and with the smoked bacon certainly made an interesting meal. The smell of cooking was all around the lounge, bar and reception in the evening 9.00pm--spicy indian food, not on the menu, so obviously cooked for the staff/owners. The bleeping and pinging from the kitchen was off-putting whilst dining and the loud TV from the bar could be heard all over.
The owners have spent alot of money on the extension and fittings, but they now need to sort the kitchen out to cook to the prices charged, and to stop skimping on staff, and then train them. They should stay overnight in hotels like the Holiday Inn, Harrogate to see what trained staff are like, and the improvement it would make to their business.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank PauL_V_N942

Travelers are raving about these Fort William hotels

Rochester
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I was on a tour with family and we were to stay in the Fort Williams area. This hotel was on their list. The rooms we stayed in 117 & 118 were clean. The mattresses were old and had the worst nights sleep. Pillows were lumpy and uncomfortable. The bathroom was out dated, and paper thin you could hear your neighbors speaking through the walls. On the plus side it is a nice location. The TV was very small and kept going out and there was no internet connection. Maybe there are better rooms but this one wasn't worth the money. I wouldn't be returning anytime soon though.

Room Tip: Read the other reviews before making up your mind. Some of the rooms are great but the lower priced...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends