“Mid-range, mid price, good for a short stay.”
Review of Cruachan Hotel

Cruachan Hotel
Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in Fort William
Reviewed October 29, 2012

The hotel is well situated, just beyond the Main Street, and (if you are lucky!) with views overlooking the loch. Bedroom clean, although the bathroom was a bit tired - flaking and chipped paint, but not serious. The loo was very close to the wall, and rather uncomfortable! The staff were very friendly and helpful, and the breakfasts good - waitress, not buffet service. Sadly no porridge on three of my four mornings (in Scotland!), although the manager apologised when I pointed this out at checkout, and said he had only just been made aware of it. An electrical (and heating) fault one evening was quickly put right.

Room Tip: Get a room with a loch view if you can
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Peter E

Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 nights. We had a room with river view which was great.

The room is spacious. Heating works well. Room is clean. There is no bar fridge though. But tea/coffee facilities available in the room.

Breakfast which was included with our room was good- u get a choice of cooked or continental breakfast.

The hotel reception and bar area is very grand.

The hotel is 5 minutes walk into town which is not a problem. They have lots of parking spaces for guests.

All in all, we're happy with our stay.

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank Thebudgetbeauty
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Only acceptable if you cannot find anything else, and you have to stay in Fort William (e.g. to ascend Ben Nevis). We had to pay on arrival (!), room was dark with no view (wall about two meters from window), smelly (obviously due to humidity). Walls were paper-thin (we couldn't sleep due to guy snoring in next room), equipment very basic, staff (at breakfast) unfriendly, breakfast horrible. Extremely overpriced for what it offers, too.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank juraj_t
Reviewed September 30, 2012

The hotel looks lovely on arrival, front of house has been recently renovated to a very high standard, bar, restaurant, reception area, and the Manager could not have been nicer. I ate in the hotel that night, the food was ok, not brilliant, but not bad, but quite expensive. My only gripe was my room - 129 a single room in the annexe block at the back of the hotel, the room itself was ok especially for the money I paid, as in decor, functionality etc, but it was the fact you could hear the tv in next door, or even upstairs room, you could hear people walking in the room above - every footstep, and even hear their conversations, this is not good when you have been trying to get to sleep for the past hour!!!! I did speak to the receptionist on my check out, who was appologetic, and did explain that the management do realise that the annexe does have this promblem, and they will be addressing the soundproofing over the winter period. Otherwise a really good value hotel

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed for two nights & were quite happy with this hotel. The bedroom was clean but functional - ok for us as we were not spending a lot of time there. The breakfast was very good, cooked freshly & the service efficient. The location of this hotel is wonderful, great views of the loch from front of hotel & less than 10 minutes from the town.

Room Tip: A room to the front of the hotel would have a lovely view.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank IAMEM27
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I'm not sure what all the negative views are regarding this hotel. For the price, it's pretty good value. There is onsite parking, lightening fast WIFI, a 24 hour reception, and onsite restaurant and bar. I only had breakfast, which was ample. I'm not sure any Scots work there. It seems everyone was either from the sub-continent or Eastern Europe, but all staff were friendly and helpful.
The room I had was certainly small (a single meant a single bed), but I was certainly happy with what I got. I didn't pay alot and didn't expect alot.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Jungl3Boy
Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the hotel on 31st August, room 147.
On the morning of the Saturday we were both unable to have a shower...the water merely dripped from the shower head (I imagine it would take quite a while to full a bath also). The result was that what should have been a good start to the day before climbing Ben Nevis for charity that day was ruined because we both felt dirty and uncomfortable before we even set off.
I complained and was offered a 10% refund, which I found insulting. The manager then spoke with higher management and the most that could be offered was £15 (16% roughly).
I was advised that maintenance looked at the shower at 11am after we had gone and all was normal...we had tried to shower at 7am. I was sorely disappointed with the way this was all handled.

• Stayed: August 2012