“What a view ..”
Review of Cruachan Hotel

Cruachan Hotel
Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in Fort William
Reviewed August 4, 2012

After driving from Inverness we checked in here for 1 nights bed & breakfast ..on finding our room what a view we got ...when we opened the door ..WOW !!! ..
We could not have got better anywhere, helpful staff, clean well furnished room and excellent food..what a pity our schedule did not allow us another nights stay ..

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bhgoodwin

Reviewed August 2, 2012

This hotel was booked for 2 nights, via booking.com for me and a pal to rest our heads for the weekend.

It proved to be located perfectly well for a 7-10 minute stroll into the town. The breakfast was lovely as were the staff and other guests.

We had room 130 which was a twin. It was small, clean and located at the back of the hotel with views of a wall, but idea for our requirement - somewhere to sleep and wash.

The bar was reasonably priced for both drink and light snacks.

Free wireless as advertised worked well and there was plenty of parking.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank BigLee40
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We were touring around the highlands for our Anniversary and booked in at the Cruachan hotel on Sunday the 22nd July for two days, The rooms are well equiped with all your needs, lovely views over the loch, very good service and an excellent restraurant within the hoIel. I mentioned to the manager that it was our 39th anniversary on the Monday. He arraged flowers to be delivered to our room on the Monday morning, at dinner that night we were given compimentary champagne this hotel is well worth a stay.

Room Tip: Rooms to the front have an excellent view of the loch
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Robert W
Reviewed July 15, 2012

The refurbished front part of the hotel is nice and the staff are very friendly. However the rooms are old and tired, walls and ceilings paper thin and if you are not careful you may pay full price (too pricey for their better rooms) for a box with a view of a wall. Avoid the restaurant at all costs, food in the eve was really nasty, but at very high prices. it was the worst meal I have had in a long time, with what seemed like the cheapest ingredients they could get from lidl.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank zoe025
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We arrived on Saturday 7th July and were given a dark and dingy room with a view of a rough cast wall barely 2 metres away, bathroom had a smell of dampness in it, I called reception and they moved us , while we were changing room I asked the reception guy if the hotel was busy he said" all the GOOD rooms were full?????? . Later my wife
and I went to bar for drink , I also bought a bag of crisps and was charged 90p for them,90p for a standard bag of crisps is a total rip off .
To summarise this hotel is way above its station, so beware of the 5 star prices in this barely 3 star accommodation.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I stayed in the Cruachan about 2 yrs ago and loved it. We got a lovely room with loch view, 4 poster bed and a lovely breakfast for £75. The price is now £105 pn, which I do not think is worth it. The hotel has been revamped, looks lovely but they have taken away the Scottishness of it. All modern, with no Scottish features, which includes the staff, well we did hear one Scottish accent, but most of the staff were of Asian or East European. Our room was clean the bed was comfortable, TV too small, but had all channels. Wardrobe is open plan, no doors, but a bit on the small side Our view was of a back wall. The hotel was quiet, but the floors are not, very squeaky floorboards, and the people above us sounded like they were wearing hobnailed boots as they moved around, bit annoying. Staff were friendly, albeit they could not get our drinks order correct, that would be due to the language barrier, us being Scottish. They really need to get a more Scottish feel about the place, and maybe hire more locals. I know Americans, Italians etc are here to see Scotland and would prefer the Scottish theme. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 1, 2012

This is without a doubt, one of the worst places I have ever stayed. I wish I had taken heed of the reviews on Trip Advisor before booking, as I thought "surely it can't be that bad?"
There are only 2 mildly positive attributes this hotel has; it looks nice from the outside overlooking the loch and hills, and some of the staff to be fair are helpful and professional.

For the price I was paying for a single room for one night, I expected a good or at least partial view out of the window. What I actually got was a wall at the rear of the hotel. The room was small, and the bed even smaller. Mattress was hard, pillows may as well have been non-existent (even two together were completely unsupportive), so really very uncomfortable. The bathroom had a stale mouldy smell, and there were a few dead flies in the shower - I got the feeling it had not been cleaned properly at all. The floors were terribly squeaky, I could hear EVERY SINGLE noise from the surrounding rooms, from toilets flushing and people talking, to what sounded like a late night orgy in the room above! I did not get a wink of sleep!

In the morning I was hoping that the breakfast might make up for the rubbish night before, but how wrong I was. Breakfast is run with military precision, seems like they want you in and out as soon as possible. I know it's a hotel and there are lots of people to feed, but they don't even give you so much as a how'd you do or good morning. There were only 2 choices of cereal - some sorry looking corn flakes, or something that resembled muesli. I skipped cereal, and grabbed a yogurt. Not sure how long it had been out on the serving table for; but it was certainly not chilled. Toast came to the table massacred, 5 slices out of the 6 they brought were completely inedible. The cooked breakfast was just as bad. Bacon (and I use the term loosely) was a wide strip of undercooked fat with a slither of undercooked meat, the fried egg (they did not bother to ask how I wanted my egg) was swimming in what I hope was water, with a hard yoke, all made for a very disappointing start to the day.

I would advise anyone coming up to Fort William not to stay at the Cruachan, it is just not worth it. Thankful I only stayed for one night, and have learnt my lesson!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo