“What a Joke!!!!”

Innseagan House Hotel
Ranked #19 of 21 Hotels in Fort William
“What a Joke!!!!”
Reviewed May 12, 2006

We thought we were going to the Innseagan and were guaranteed a great time as this was our 3rd year here but we found ourselves in faulty towers with the worst staff I have ever seen working for a hotel! My wife and I have stayed here the previous 2 years and I must say we thought we had found a gem hidden in the scottish highlands how times have clearly changed! Gone was the friendly welcome, gone was the excellent service and gone was our stress-free annual trip to this hotel. There has obviously been a complete changeover in staff as we were getting used to the faces and knew most of them by name which made our holiday more special. The food wasn't as good and we ate out after our first experience with the evening menu and we gave up with breakfast after being badgered by the breakfast waitress who had a highy aggressive manner and was very keen to tell us she, nor anyone else had been paid for a number of weeks and the hotel was going down the drain would we like to buy it, as it was now for sale! Hope the current owners know this! We were horrified by this behaviour and saddened that a representaitive of this hotel was being allowed to bring it down in such a way. We left and moved on to the sister hotel the portsonachan, which as always was perfect, although the edge had already been taken off our holiday with our stay at the innseagan. We have written to the hotel and have received no response, Dont risk it, it's clearly not worth it.....

• Stayed April 2006
5 Thank Clair C
, Manager at Innseagan House Hotel, responded to this review, May 24, 2006
Having checked our data base - I can't find anyone with a Cardiff address who stayed anytime from 7th May - 20th May'06. I would like to reply to the guests and have left my -e-mail address. I would be very grateful if they could either e-mail or re-send a copy of the letter, so I can reply personally. WIth regard to staff, we have had the same housekeeper for 4 years, we have Laura on receptiom who has returned to work for us after having a baby. In the restaurant we have Sharron who started work last year - I could go on, please please contact me and I will address your complaints directly.
Kind Regards
David Parker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Leicester UK
Reviewed April 27, 2006

Like other people who have reviewed this hotel I bought vouchers at the good food show two years ago. I stayed at this hotel for three nights and have just returned - I did pay the extra £12.50 for a loch view room and I was not disapointed. The hotel is not of the standard I would expect for £120 a night which is the rack rate, however given that I paid only £66 B&B then I got what I paid for. If you are expecting the Hilton or Plaza then you will be disapointed, however if you think in terms of an up-market bed & breakfast then you will be okay. The hotel has had some problems in the past, and the staff can be a bit more 'honest' than I am used to, but retain your sense of humour and you will enjoy it.

The service was good, despite staff shortages, the food was okay at night but breakfasts were suberb. Hotel room was a bit small but bathroom was good size, all clean & tidy, although pillows are flat - I would take your own. Hotel was quiet - no noises from other rooms, and there were a few guests staying.

Fort William is not London and you would do well to bear this in mind when comparing the hotel! I would not stay here again, mainly because I am a snob who is used to better! But if you have booked I would say, GO - pay for a Loch View Room, remember you only get what you pay for and retain your sense of humour, Fort William has lots to do and we really enjoyed our Scottish break!!

• Stayed April 2006
7 Thank Ross B

Travelers are raving about these Fort William hotels

Airdrie, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 1, 2006

my husband and i have just returned from a weekend at the innseagan hotel and would just like to say we had a wonderfull stay. the hotel was spotless clean, food was brill and the staff couldn't have been more helpfull.
i would reccomend this hotel to anyone, young or old, couples or families. i will certainly be back.
avril arnott

• Stayed March 2006
6 Thank Avril189
Stoke on Trent, England
Reviewed November 23, 2005

Me and my wife recently spent 2 nights at this hotel. We also booked at one of the shows. My son had a good laugh at us when he printed all the previous reviews on this site and we had doubts whether or not we should go. We were pleasantly suprised. We found the staff helpful and friendly and really enjoyed the food. The rooms could really do with updating but our room wasnt as bad as other rooms pictured on this site. I dont think wed go there again but we did enjoy our time and we would recommend the hotel to others.

• Stayed November 2005
8 Thank palcowburn
Dorset
Reviewed September 13, 2005

We arrived at this place (you can't call it a Hotel) on Sunday 4th September 2005 and were shown to Room 1 (as was someone else who wrote 1 of these reviews). We found it to be unacceptable - dark, dirty and small with a view of a bank of weeds and empty beer cans from the window. The bed was worn out, when you sat on the mattress you sank right through to the base of the bed. The bedding was grubby and tatty. So, we asked to be moved; we were shown to a twin room at the front . Things now got even worse, the beds and bedding were in the same condition as in the provious room, the pillows were lifeless and yellow,
I didn't want to sleep in them. The toilet was full of faeces and toilet paper !! Toilet cistern was hanging off the wall and the toilet wobbled when you sat on it. There was mould growning on the wall, an electric heater hanging off the wall; a dressing table stool that was so dirty you would not want to sit on it.

We filmed all these faults with the room.

Then, when we complained we were told in no undertain terms by the 'manageress' that there was nothing wrong with the room and she would be perfectly happy to stay in it herself. She informed us that (although we had paid in full for 5 nights up front) we would be getting none of our money back. Our options were to stay in a filthy inadequate place for 5 nights or to leave and pay for our accommodation again somewhere else. We chose to leave. YOU CAN CHOOSE NOT TO GO. It will cost you dear, cause you stress and heartache and ruin your holiday.

David

• Stayed August 2005
7 Thank Angela J
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 13, 2005

We paid £198 at a country fayre for a half price break (£396 normal price)
When we arrived our double room was shocking (no 15) the size of a single with a small double wedged in. Not what you expect for £396. We had to stay in the room that night as everything else was booked, to make things even worse our "double" backed on to the Kitchen store/carpark/airvent (as you can see by the pictures)
We were then moved into a twin( very romantic) and both beds were pushed together for us. The assistant manager who was very helpfull and said had been in the position several times with people coming in with vouchers bought at fayres and obviously paid a lot of money! We were left a bottle of red wine (£15.00 on thier list) we opened and it was corked. The bar had no wine glasses on our second night and wine poured in half pint glass, as well as having no soda or lime(pretty good for a hotel)
As far as we are concerned we paid a lot of money for a below average b&b room. The owners do well to keep what staff they have.
The breakfast was the highlite of our trip especially Monday's as it was our last at Innseagan Hotel

• Stayed September 2005
13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 12, 2005

HOLIDAY HORROR

My partner and I had the misfortune to be misled by the marketing of this Hotel. We found it to be of unsatisfactory quality and unfit for its purpose.
It is dirty. The bedding is smelly and grubby, the pillows are about 1/4 inch thick and yellow. We did not even stay one night, our complaint was treated with hostility and contempt. The staff have no authority to do anything about anything and when a Manager is requested, there is not one available. I would not only not recommend this hotel but would strongly advise anybody to STAY AWAY.

A Jones