“good hostel accommodation, ropey hotel accommodation.”
Review of Bank Street Lodge

Bank Street Lodge
Ranked #18 of 21 Hotels in Fort William
UK
“good hostel accommodation, ropey hotel accommodation.”
Reviewed May 11, 2009

Hostel accommodation was clean, safe and good value. Well equiped, clean kitchen, nice tv lounge with video library. I wouldn't recommend the individual rooms, it's a very low market hotel, but an excellent hostel / dormitary accommodation. DO NOT eat in The Stables restaurant underneath. The sell cheap and nasty frozen "Italian" food at insulting prices. £12 for a frozen pizza etc. The nicest restaurant in the area is the Ben Nevis Inn a very short taxi ride or 20 minute walk away. http://www.ben-nevis-inn.co.uk/.
I stayed with a group of friends and found that the hot water only lasts for about 10 showers - get in the shower early!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
london
Reviewed March 19, 2009

Bank Street Lodge does not charge four star prices, it is a budget accommodation outlet that suited our needs. The rooms were clean and tidy and the staff were really friendly and helpful. There are other reviewers that seem to want four star luxury but wish to pay budget prices, we were most pleased with our stay.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Manchester, UK
Reviewed January 30, 2009

Paid £55 with Bookings.com, and was very disappointed. It was the most expensive hotel I stayed in on my trip and was the worst. Room decor was very unattractive - lots of red stained chipboard. The tv did not work, there was no hairdryer and no heating in the ensuite bathroom. Looks like a hostel from the moment you walk in, yet they are charging good B+B prices.

• Liked — Pleasant staff
  • Disliked — Grotty air
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Fort William hotels

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed September 28, 2008

My husband and I spent our only night in Fort William at the Bank Street Lodge. We were both happy to find the accommodation both comfortable and clean. The lodge was located centrally in town for exploring the area. The view from the room was fantastic and the service staff were nice and helpful. The lodge had a kitchen which allowed us to make dinner and use the fridge. We both enjoyed our stay. I would recommend this to couples, singles or families looking for a safe, clean and comfortable stay at a budget price.

• Liked — The location
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
east yorkshire
Reviewed August 24, 2008

We stayed here in August 2008 a family 2 adults and 2 teenagers
and I have to say I was surprised how nice it was. The room was pleasant warm and clean double bed and bunk beds, shower, tea and coffee plenty of towels
Kitchen facility down stairs if needed which we did as we took a chinese back to eat. We found it expensive to eat in Fort william some places wouldn't even let us in with children, bearing in mind my 2 are 15 and 13 so not babies and they are well behaved. We sat in the main lounge area and ate our chinese with a bottle of wine and washed up after ourselves sat and played cards

• Liked — very welcoming
  • Disliked — parking
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
London
Reviewed February 23, 2008

I stayed here for a quick visit to the Fort William area in January this year. Was greeted by very friendly reception staff and found the room very clean and comfortable. The en-suite rooms are reasonably priced and cheaper then the nearby Travel Inn.

• Liked — Central location
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
Canada
Reviewed July 24, 2007

I stayed here for 5 days in July 2007. Had a private ensuite room to myself for only 25 GBP. This was 2 GBP less than I paid for a single room with SHARED hallway bath in a residence in Glasgow the week before. I was especially appreciative that they didn't charge me the whole amount for the room that they would charge for 2 persons sharing (45 GBP, I believe). This is very unusual.

The Bank Street Lodge does not provide breakfast but they do have a kitchen (fully equipped with stove, microwave, kettles, fridge, dishes, cutlery, dishcloths, soap). And a nice dining room. So I was able to make my breakfast and even a few suppers and prepare a lunch to take with me one day. Saved a lot of money that way.

The room was clean. The shower was hot and had good water pressure (not too common I find when I'm travelling in budget accommodation abroad). They have books and videos and a tv in the dining room. They
let me check in early when I arrived by train around noon and let me leave my luggage for a few hours on my day of departure because I wasn't leaving town til noon. Very kind of them.

Oh, they had a tv in my room too and I switched it on just to see if I could get the weather for the next day but it didn't work. All fuzzy. Not important for me but might matter to some.

• Liked — price, comfortable room, good shower
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo