“Food very good, but not sure about the hygiene”

Highland Star Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #58 of 69 Restaurants in Fort William
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I ordered beef with some blackbeen souce, it was very good. However I was already kind of sceptical to the hygiene in the restaurant from experiencing the waiter try to scratch of some old food from the plate he handed me. Afterwards I don´t know why I didn´t ask for a clean plate, it was so obvies that the waiter saw the plate was not clean when he handed it to me.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Bad. Beware. A very expensive trap.
waited 45 min for nsin course.
some dishes were ordered and never got to the table.
un eatable.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Hasn't changed in the 18 years I have been away, still got the best spare ribs ever!! Very quiet, but had a great view over the Loch.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

This is my first ever review and for me to make the effort would have to be an exceptional restaurant - and it was, exceptionally bad!

Firstly, the positives. The restaurant was fairly empty (even though 3 pub/restaurants opposite were heaving) so service was fairly quick with the exception of our drinks that were ordered first and arrived as we were just finishing our starters.--------That's the positives out the way, now the negatives:
Prices were around £1-00 per dish more than I would normally expect to pay,
The owner/Manager? walked around with a perpetual scowl on his face and occasionally glaring at one of the waitresses while pointing to any empty dishes that he sees, it is obviously beneath him to actually pick up plates himself!
My wife and I chose a shared platter to start the meal and was immediately disappointed to find that there was no dip of any sort to go with the finger food. We were brought a bowl of warm water (with a slice of lemon in it) with the instruction that it was not part of the meal, it was for washing our fingers Duh! We had to use our napkins though to wipe the water off our fingers.
The main course was adequate BUT the various sauces Szechuan & Black Bean must have been from the same saucepan - they tasted identical! Watery with no hint of chillie or spices.
Next visit to Fort William? I'll be eating in one of the pub/restaurants across the road. (Just like the locals)

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Where do I start with this disaster.. We were seated by a very abrupt Scottish (not Chinese) lady, who seemed to lack basic manners. The menu seemed overpriced, but maybe it would be good quality...

After 20 minutes, someone finally came to take our order. .The starter took 15 minutes to arrive, but was unfortunately slammed down on the table by the waitress who offered no 'enjoy your starter' sentiments. The food was awful. Now, I am not a fussy eater. It takes a lot to disappoint me with food. But, disappointed I was. The food was tasteless and forgetable, and even a dog would have turned its nose up at it. It was a very watery and salty soup with noodles that might as well have been from down the loo or swept up off the floor. I would have been far happier with the remains of a drunk's donner kebab from the bin outside, if truth be told.

20 minutes later, the drinks had still not arrived. I asked a very incompetant young (Scottish) lady about the whereabouts of my drinks, and she proceeded to look at me like I was from another planet - though am from England I suppose . In the minutes that followed we were witness to more shockingly bad service with the rude staff to match. Another couple that had the misfortune to stumble on this disaster zone of a restaurant were seemingly having the same problems as us and had not received their drinks and had to ask twice. Another table had politely asked to move to another table to move next to the window which did - to be fair - offer quite a nice view of the water. The scruffy looking chinese waiter (he really needed a wash) rudely told them to wait. Whilst sitting through this episode of Fawlty Towers, we had realised that we had still not received our drinks after being in the restaurant for almost an hour. I had decided that it was time to leave; I could not sit through any more of the incompetance or bad service. It was embarrasing to watch. I had lost an hour of my life on this experience, and did not want to lose any more.

Please do not waste any money or any of your time on this place.

1  Thank footballmadeddy