“Avoid at all cost!”

Ranked #9 of 21 Hotels in Fort William
Stockbridge, MI
“Avoid at all cost!”
Reviewed September 1, 2006

The owner’s unwillingness to compromise on the final bill and his unprofessional, impolite and improper behavior towards my family and myself directly affects this review.

In my original booking I was told I was getting two newly constructed rooms, for my family of 5. When we arrived the owner provided one new room and one old room on the 3rd floor attic that was not ready to rent. He gave our original reservation away to other travelers.

This attic room did not have a functional door lock, we used our suite case propped against the door and it did not have a functional shower, it provided only scalding hot water, also no telephone, the remote for the TV was missing, and the TV had to be viewed through the footboard. We asked for another room but there were none available.

Upon checking out the owner was unwilling to adjust the bill to my satisfaction for the room charge. He then would not accept the Visa card, he insisted on cash payment (i.e. all of my travelers checks) for payment because I told him I was going to dispute the room charge. He became very belligerent, insulting and slanderous to me and my family, even my daughters. He called the police insisting I was unwilling to pay my bill, which I was attempting to pay with my Visa. The police arrived and directed the owner to take my Visa, which he is contractually obligated to do. Which he finally did, only after holding my family and me up as long as possible so that we would miss our bus to Inverness, to make a connecting train to Edinburgh.

The experience with the owner was a NIGHTMARE and I would never recommend anyone stay at this facility.

There are several other facilities to choose from, Fort William is an excellent base for day trips. All the other people were kind and generous.

• Liked — New Rooms
  • Disliked — Owner attitude
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
7 Thank MarkWiz
limetree, Owners at The Lime Tree, responded to this review, September 19, 2006
Trip Advisor readers will note this review differs significantly from previous reviews. We have recently opened after an extensive redevelopment to absolutely rave reviews - with this notable exception. It is regrettable that these guests did not enjoy their stay, and it is The Lime Tree's mission to ensure that our guests have a wonderful holiday. We feel we have been mis-represented by guests who explicitly threatened to use Trip Advisor to damage our reputation unless a discount was given - entirely against the ethos of this useful and valuable service for travellers.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed August 10, 2006

We had one night in Scotland that I had failed to book a room for because I wasn't sure about drive times. We rolled into Fort William around 8:30 and I saw The Lime Tree. It looked great so I sent my husband in to beg for a room. The innkeeper David had only one room left and even made a special place for our five year old to sleep. This B & B is so great. I have stayed in a million hotels as a former flight attendant and I have to say this was the best experience and super clean. The bath is so modern and I soaked and watched the Highlands out the window.
The next morning David (who is also a fabulous artist and mountain guide we found out) made us an amazing breakfast and showed us the new gallery attached to the B & B. Amazing! Though we were lucky to get a room, get a reservation because this place is amazing.

5 Thank Lawgnome
London
Reviewed October 8, 2005

My wife & I stayed two separate nights at this B&B. It is easy to find as it sits at the beginning of the centre of Fort William. It was a interesting property with curiously wide doors and views straight onto the sea albeit across a large car park. The room was a good size and decoration had more flair than many places we have visited. The breakfast was also good with plenty of coffee. It was good value for money.

• Stayed August 2005