“Nice end to the West HIghland Way”
Review of The Lime Tree

and 1 more site!
The Lime Tree
Ranked #8 of 21 Hotels in Fort William
Reviewed May 28, 2012

We stayed here on the final day of our trip. I must admit that I was rather concerned by some of the reviews on here before arriving but our experience has been very positive.

The staff were very helpful and service was good throughout.

The room was a good size, the furniture is slightly eclectic but in a pleasant way. The bathroom was great - massive shower and fabulous roll top bath. The bed was comfortable. Very happy with the room

We eat in the restaurant that evening and it was very good, food and wine were excellent. Breakfast was nice.

The only slight downside was that the hotel was quite noisy - we could hear a lot of noise coming from guests across the hallway and coming up the stairs. This didn't stop us sleeping however - but if you are light sleeper you might was to ask about the best room to stay in for noise.

Overall I thought it was very good and I would to recommend. I would recommend the restaurant wherever you are staying in Fort William if you like like this kind of restaurant experience

Reviewed May 12, 2012

We found the Lime Tree on TripAdvisor and I'm happy to say the high ratings and favourable comments are all justified. The rooms were well equipped and spacious. We had a front room with a view across the loch for the first night but due to a council run event opposite the hotel changed to a room in the more modern extension (staff were extremely obliging, offering this before we'd had chance to raise it as a concern). Despite other challenges beyond the staffs control during our stay (a flooded bathroom, putting the power and computers out of action) they remained friendly and helpful. In fact that sums up all the staff, friendly and helpful. We ate in the restaurant on one of our nights stay. It was a beautiful meal, well managed from front of house, utilising the gallery, to the meal which was fantastic. Would have liked more time to have chatted to David about his art and the art exhibited but were on a whistle stop tour. The food was of a very high quality. We ate in town on one night (Cafe Mango, also highly recommended) but wonder if a lighter/bar snack menu might have been on offer. Not a criticism, just a suggestion.

Room Tip: It seems we chose the one week of the year when the council run a trials bike event based in the car...
Reviewed May 11, 2012

My partner and I booked 3 days at the Lime Tree as a birthday treat during our week in Scotland. Ignoring the setting on a large roundabout, first impressions were good - the lounges downstairs were stylish and fitted the 'boutique-hotel' tag. Once we got to our room (Number 4, up in the attic) we weren't quite so impressed. It had a good view out over the loch but the room overall was a bit tatty and poorly maintained. There was obviously a moisture problem as there was damp and mould on some of the walls and windows, with the paint peeling in places. The sealant around the bath was all mildewy and the bottom of the bath marked. The shower head looked like a battered old antique. The bathroom door did not shut.

We spent the night but complained at reception in the morning, saying we didn't believe the room was worth the £110-per-night price tag. We were offered another room (good), which we went to inspect. It was better in some ways but not so good in others (main points being that the bed was too soft for my partner, who suffers from a slipped disc, and a tiny wardrobe and no drawers), so we elected to stay in room 4, expecting most of our complaints to be resolved while we were out for the day.

After a day out we found a repair had been made to the bathroom door so it now closed (good). However, during my shower the hot water ran out. My partner had to go without a shower that night. The next day (my birthday) we'd booked somewhere nice for dinner and wanted showers before going out. This time there was no hot water at all. We were told lots of walkers had come in and had probably used it all, so they'd have to put the booster on (couldn't they have thought of doing that without being asked?!). We then had to wait 20 minutes before I could have a very quick shower (during which the shower rail fell on my head). My partner had to have a cold shower.

I could go on...but will spare you!

On checkout, we reiterated that we didn't not feel the room was worth £110 per night and were not willing to pay that. The receptionist spoke to the owner on the phone but he refused to speak to us, despite us asking repeatedly. He was not willing to budge on price. In the end we persuaded the girl on reception to take £90 per night, which is what we paid. I thought it extremely cowardly of the owner to refuse to see us and to leave the poor girl to deal with our anger. If he had just spoken to us and taken our complaints seriously we might have been willing to negotiate on price or even pay full price if we'd just had recognition that we were not entirely satisfied with our stay and been given a polite apology.

As it is, it seems the owner is in complete denial about the quality of his hotel, totally unwilling to even listen to criticism, never mind accept it, and hides behind his staff (who were lovely, I must point out) who have to take the brunt of complaints.

Later on, we discovered that the hotel had repeatedly tried to take the extra £60 off our credit card (without our consent, obviously).

If the 'experience' had been better managed, I might have been able to say quite nice things about the restaurant and art gallery, and the hotel would be perfectly acceptable at a lower price, but the attitude of the owner has left such a sour taste in my mouth. Definitely the worst birthday I've ever had.

[Regarding my rating for Service, this applies to the owner - the general staff were very good and did their best within the constraints of the owner.]

Room Tip: Rooms at the front all have good views of the loch. Attic rooms 4 & 5 have the best views but ar...
12  Thank Brownie_Bristol
limetree00, Owner at The Lime Tree, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2012

We are sorry to note that despite the continued and prompt attentions of The Lime Tree team to you and any issue that you raised that you were still not satisfied with your stay . We must also correct some of the points in your message. We were simply not available to speak to you on check out, otherwise we would have done so, and really take exception to your use of language. The comments you make about 'negotiation' (one rather upset receptionist) and charges are completely inaccurate - you left without fully settling your bill, which we cannot condone.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

A great little hotel with a fantastic restaurant. We would stay here again despite the fact FW council has destroyed the end of the WHW walk. I hated walking up the shopping street to find the end of the walk. Luckily this hotel made up for the short comings. We had a very relaxing night and a great dinner, with lovely wine and great and friendly service. Will stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 7, 2012

We spent 3 nights at this wonderful luxury bed and breakfast. Probably the nicest we've ever stayed at and the best in Fort William for location and class. Beautifully designed property with lots of attention to detail, combining an art gallery with an award winning restaurant and fantastic accommodation. The 9 ensuite bedrooms are really lovely, clean and comfortable. Very homely communal areas with romantic roaring log fires. Excellent highly acclaimed restaurant and rightly so. The dishes are carefully created and perfected, using the very freshest, locally sourced ingredients with flavours to really excite your taste buds. A real treat and very reasonably priced for this level of excellence. Great wine list and variety of real ales. Very helpful and knowledgable host who is also a qualified mountaineer and fantastic artist. You should be very proud of what you have created here, a very special place that is highly recommended for a wonderful stay to remember. Wish it was ours!

Room Tip: All lovely. Four have Loch views.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 30, 2012

A friend and I dropped into this pretty guest house to find out prices for a room one night, as I walked in I immediately thought it was out of our price range as it was so cosy and chic. I was greeted by the owner who was really warm and friendly, and offered to strike me a deal since it was so quiet, the rooms were beautifully done out and very comfortable, I would of paid the full price room rate. The breakfast was yummy and the menu for evening meals sounded delicious. the owner is an artist and a guide for outdoor activities in the area and gladly showed us his amazing artwork and gallery around the hotel. He also gave us free advice on local walking routes and recommendations as well as offering his services as a guide. He was helpful yet not pushy and the other staff were so nice too, but I guess when you have such a well groomed product like the lime tree there is no need for a hard sell.

It really felt like an upgraded home from home!!! and I have recommended them to all my friends and family, so if you’re heading to fort William and want to have affordable luxury with a cosy feel, id insist staying in the lime tree and ask for the owner, as he will gladly show you around and make you feel welcome.

Hope you enjoy it as much as we did,

2 girls from Leeds

Room Tip: but all rooms are beautifully decorated and comfortable. And the prices even in season are reasonabl...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 27, 2012

We spent one night at The Lime Tree in March and would stay here again as it is surely the best choice in Ft. William. That being said, it is just a good three star property. It is comfortable and very clean and has a fantastic location right on the loch and just a couple minute stroll into the center of town. Our room was large and comfortable and had a great loch view. There were a few gripes though. Breakfast was just OK at best. The buffet was lacking, For instance there was no yogurt or decent fruit. It was just very basic. I ordered eggs benedict from the menu and only got one egg. I have never had anything else but two eggs anywhere else. In our room for instance there was a worn upholstered reading chair which was covered by a blanket. The towels all had large bar codes baked in them which I have never seen before and was a bit tacky. No bed side tables so I had to place my reading glasses and alarm clock on the floor. All small things but they kept me from giving a higher rating. We did not have dinner in the restaurant but the restaurant was nicely decorated and looks like it would be lovely in the warm weather with a large door opening up overlooking the loch. We just had an impression that the owners were cutting corners to keep costs down.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple