“lovely hotel”

Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Fort William
Stockton-on-Tees,Teesside
“lovely hotel”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We spent five days here on a holiday with National Holidays in July. Our twin room was on the fourth floor, overlooking the loch. It was a very nice room, clean and nicely furnished. The bathroom was a very good size and very well finished with a daily change of towels. The breakfasts were very hearty with a good selection of choices and the evening meals were very good too. There was a choice of four options for each course and I was very happy with everything that I chose which was very well cooked and piping hot. All meals were waiter service and all of the waiters were very obliging and polite and helpful, particularly our waiter, Josef. The evening entertainment ( Ronnie on Monday and Paula on Thursday )was excellent and the bar prices were quite good. We thoroughly enjoyed our break and our lovely driver, Doug, contributed to this. Our only gripe was the weather (mist and rain while the rest of the country was basking in a heat wave ) but we were in Scotland and we couldn't hold anybody responsible!!! We would certainly recommend this hotel to anybody.

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the loch.
1 Thank Sandra A
gm_cal, General Manager at Bay Caledonian Hotel, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Thank you very much for your lovely review, I'm so pleased you enjoyed the stay so much, our staff and the entertainers wil be delighted with your comments. As you say it was a shame about hte weather. We hope to see you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
in Walkden
Reviewed July 17, 2013

My sister and I spent 5 days on a coach holiday . Room, lovely view overlooking loch which was badly in need of refurbishment.Dried soap in bath tray sill there when we left. Stain on my sister bedcover which was replaced on 2nd day. Radiators full of rust. Tables in dining room to close together so you had trouble sitting at table and leaving table. Spoke to assistant manager re state of room and was told you get what you pay for. Good points, day trip were very good, driver Dominic was excellent. Waiter at our table, Istvan very good and always cheerful. Young lade serving in bar, Ira very efficient, cheerful and hard working.
Will not be visiting this hotel again until refurbished. Entertainment good especially Ronnie Ross.

Room Tip: I believe certain rooms have been upgraded so would request 1 of these.
1 Thank winnieinWalkden
gm_cal, General Manager at Bay Caledonian Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Firstly, thank you for taking the time to post your review. I would like to assure you that the points raised in your review will be addressed. I will pass your good comments onto Aira and Ronnie.
Burlington
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Stayed here with caledonian coach tours. Had nice room overlooking loch. Phone did not work in room and no wifi but everything else was very good. Room very clean. Food selection very good with very pleasant staff. Good entertainment every night. Quick and efficient check in with so many
People arriving at one time. Very helpful reception staff who even fixed my gasses for me. Paid extra for loch view but well worth it. A little bit out of town (approx 3 miles) but local bus service outside door and taxi into town was only 5 Pound but if able to it was a lovely walk. Would stay ere again

Room Tip: Ask for loch view room
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Margaret C
I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us; we will address the issue with the telephone. It’s great to see you would stay with us again; maybe the next time you visit we will even have Wifi.
Erskine, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I have just returned from a trip to this hotel as part of a bus tour and was disappointed. The hotel itself is very tired and in need of a total revamp. The window frames require to be replaced and the décor is tired and dingy. The rooms were adequate but again required attention. Housekeeping is a bit lax in places. My Aunt found a sock sticking out from under the bed leading us to think that the room had not been attended thoroughly. The staff did offer to move my Aunt to another room which was on the third she declined as we booked as a family group and would have preferred to be near one another. The staff are mostly eastern European and very friendly and accommodating. The food was of a very good standard and in part saved the trip from being a total washout. The hotel states that it is in Fort Wiliam, it is a very good hike to the town so be prepared for a long walk or a £7.40 taxi ride there and back. The bar is very expensive and should review their pricing for alcoholic drinks.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with scenic view over the loch
1 Thank kaydivpy
Thank you for posting your review. Please accept my apologies for the oversight by our housekeeping department. I am pleased you found the staff to be friendly and accommodating and the food good. We are indeed in Fort William but just not in the centre of Fort William. It is a bit of a walk to the town but the scenery around the hotel makes up for the location.

Travelers are raving about these Fort William hotels

Wiltshire, UK
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We just wanted a night in FW - but it happened to coincide with the mountain bike festival so the whole town was full. I did manage to find this place through late rooms for £29 per night which was very cheap. I rather expected the worst (being owned by Shearings coach tours I think) - but the room was clean and basic, and it served its purpose. Breakfast decidely average. It's a couple of miles from the centre so a longish walk or a drive - we ate in town so I can't comment on the evening meal.

Room Tip: rooms at the front will have views of the loch
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Richard D
Thank you for your review, I am glad you found your stay to be of good value.
Stromness
Reviewed July 2, 2013

i arrived at the hotel after a long and fabuluous motorcycle trip at 7.50pm. I was told by the person who checked me in that I did not have time to change and that I was too late for dinner. He said the kitchen staff were only paid until 8.00pm.

It would have been so easy to say "sure, get changed and be back in 5 minutes for dinner".

I was really disappointed by this poor welcome. Time to bring in some local staff to restore the highland hospitality which is singularly lacking from this hotel, with the sole exception of the breakfast waiter.

The room was very small but clean. Tired decor and no extractor fans in the bathroom - although there was a sign saying the extractor fans only worked between certain hours and that proved to be wrong too!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank David B
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am sorry you were disappointed by your welcome. Arriving at 7:50pm should not have been a problem and dinner was available up until 8:00pm and it should not have been a problem to allow you time to have a quick change before entering the restaurant but I am pleased you found your breakfast waiter to be hospitable.
Surrey, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We used this as a quick stop over before continuing further into Scotland. We stayed on a Sunday night and so got a good deal - I'm guessing their main trade is coach tours and so Sunday is probably the quietest night.

The position of the hotel is lovely - the loch is just across the road. We just took a room at the back of the hotel (ie no view) given our brief stay. It's quite a tired building although they seem to be renovating - all the rooms across the corridor from us had the decorators in which could have been a problem from a noise perspective but we were hardly in the room and had to be up early anyway so it didn't bother us. I think our room had been renovated - the bathroom was modern and the whole room had had a general decor refresh. But for the price we paid I was happy. The room was a good size and comfortable.

You have to drive into Fort William but it's 2 miles so walking is possible (weather permitting!) and it's an easy, straight walk.

Breakfast was OK - service was odd and slow. The waiters (of which there were quite a few) just kept looking at us whilst they dried cutlery or something equally benign. Eventually I asked if one would take our order. He went to talk to another waiter and went back to drying his cutlery. Meanwhile the other waiter, also doing nothing that couldn't wait, took another 5 minutes before deciding to come over. Why the first waiter couldn't take our simple order? Most odd. I suspect they are used to the coach tours who stay for multiple nights and only then is it worth their while to make an effort for tips. However, the food was actually very good!

Overall we didn't find the staff particularly welcoming or helpful - they were all a little odd actually.

For the price we paid I can't really fault it. We had a good nights sleep and it's in a good location.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cvinsider
Thank you for taking the time to post your review, thank you for your positive comments on the value and comfort of your room. I would like to apologise for the service in our restaurant, I have not had a comment like this before on our staff, in fact most comments are the complete opposite, that they find our staff to be very helpful. Our restaurant supervisor will hold a meeting with all staff to ensure that this does not re-occur.