“Loch View”
Review of Argyll House

Argyll House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fort William
Argyll House
Ranked #98 of 111 Fort William B&B and Inns
Champaign, Illinois
“Loch View”
Reviewed July 4, 2014

B & B was clean and very comfortable. It is not easy to find because it is on a hill, but that makes the view from the front bedroom spectacular. Breakfast was good. Because of the open area, you do feel like you have intruded in someone's house. The TV was very small and mounted in a corner so it was hard to see.

Room Tip: Choose he front room so you can have a view of the Loch.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Derbyshire
Reviewed June 29, 2014

We struggled to find the this B&B in the residential area of FW but when we rang for instructions from Mairi, we were just 2 minutes away.. when we pulled into the drive I expected the host to be there to welcome us, but this was not the case. we knocked on the door and entered where she was very welcoming. The bedrooms were spotless and spacious with all the facilities you could need. However I felt that the TV was too small for the room and mounted on the wall at the far end. Whilst retrieving my luggage from the car I met Mike, who was working in the garden. I asked if where I had parked the car was suitable, of course it wasn't and I was asked to move it which I duly did. I was asked if I had got the phone message from them, as they had rung twice to inquire where we were. Apparently when we booked we were asked for an approx arrival time and we had put 3pm. However we arrived at 5pm following a detour on our holiday to see the locks at Fort Augustus. I looked at the copy of my booking, which was done several months earlier and it did not state the approx arrival time, I of course had forgotten about this and it had not been an issue with any of the other stays during our trip. The number I had left with booking.com was my house phone number and not a mobile number. I felt that this dig regarding our 2 hr delay was unnecessary and really it set the tone for the 1 night stay. We usually avoid B&Bs because you can feel like you are tip toeing about in someones home and this was one of those B&Bs. When we returned back after our evening meal at about 10pm we crept passed the lounge area, not available to guests and went to our bedrooms. The stairs and lounge area is open plan but a long screen separated it from guest usage. Due to the open plan nature of the lounge and stairs you could hear what the hosts were watching on TV when you were in bed. I felt like I was on a sleepover. I noticed when we returned that evening that the other guests had parked in the same spot that I had driven into earlier. Breakfast was top-notch and was served at one large table shared by all guests. Fortunately, the other guests were really nice. All in all I was glad it was for only one night, it was spotless, but I really did not feel relaxed about our stay and do prefer to stay in Hotels.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Hodgepodge16
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We had the garden twin room which was large and had a fab en-suite shower room. Both were immaculate and very comfortable. The tv was tiny however and so pretty much useless.
The B&B is on a hill but this wasn't a problem for us and it did have a great view (or it would have done if it hadn't been so cloudy).
Breakfast wasn't great but the lovely owner did provide veggie sausages which was appreciated.
i wouldn't hesitate in recommending it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Warm welcome from Mairi and wonderful breakfast cooked to order. From our large clean room we had an excellent view over the loch and mountains. The bed was enormous. A 5 minute walk downhill will take you into town.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KayTeeBelgium
Manchester
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We stayed at this B&B for one night and were glad it was just for one night!
It was difficult to find, even though we'd been given instructions on the phone, being built on a very high and steep hill, this would definitely have been no good for disabled/elderly/infirm guests who would have found the climb from the car park to the front door something like hiking up the north face of the Eiger! We struggled up with our bags and were glad we didn't have too much to carry as we would not have wanted to go back to the car and do it all again. When we were shown to our room the hostess asked what time we'd like breakfast and when we suggested 9 o'clock we were informed, in qute a brusque manner, that the latest was 8.30! We were then told that breakfast was 7.45 - 8.30, which is quite a short window of time, especially as most travellers are on their holidays and don't want to be up with the larks!
On a plus point, we were able to book in just one day ahead which proved to be hardly surprising really......
We found the house to be modern and clean although we didn't like the open staircase which overlooked the hosts living room, that made us feel quite uncomfortable. Our room was adequately furnished, however, the chairs in the room were like sitting on a block of wood after half an hour of sitting watching tv. We didn't like sitting with other guests in the dining room, which is quite a small room, as we don't do "polite conversation" with strangers while we're trying to eat our breakfast - not everyone feels like being sociable first thing in the morning. The cooked food was ok, although it would have been nice if we'd been asked how we would like our eggs e.g. fried, scrambled, poached, etc., and fresh mushrooms would have been better than the ones we were given. There was a bit of a buffet on a sideboard with some fairly cheap yogurts on it and no fresh fruit. It would have been nice also to be asked if we would like more tea or toast.
Overall, this was an adequate stay but we would not stay here again. This is run very much as a business and we found the manner of the hostess to be a bit frosty and business-like, not friendly like some B&B's. We couldn't possibly comment on the host as we never saw him.
Plus points - clean, nice view from the car park
Minus points - the hike up to the front door from the parking area, the entrance stairs past their living area, the small dining facilities, the business-like manner of the proprietor

Room Tip: Not for the unfit or disabled - the house is up a very steep hill and the steps up to the house from...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Mairi and Mike made me feel extremely welcome in their beautiful home. i can't fault one thing about the property, its location, the cleanliness, the friendliness, the food, nothing!!!!I just wish one thing, that i'd had longer there. Its close to town, beautiful views, just great. My room was absolutely beautiful, ground floor as i'm disabled, but so perfect. not a thing out of place. everything so clean. The en-suite shower room was excellent. plenty of hot water unlike some places. The patio at the front provided stunning views and as the weather was so nice i was able to sit outside most evenings and enjoy the peace. Great view of Loch Linnhe too. Breakfast was yum yum and yum again! I will be returning without a doubt. Thank you so much to the pair of you. A really lovely couple and very helpful too.

Room Tip: I had ground floor room and this was stunning. It is a rear view onto a small but immaculately kept...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank jonathans497
Matlock, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 23, 2012

My son and I were in Fort William for four nights for a hill-walking trip. We were made very welcome by Mairi and Mike. They went out of their way to be helpful. The B&B was spotless, and very well run. The twin room at the back of the house was large, with an excellent shower room. Our only disappointment was that the large living room, shown on the Argyll House website, was not available to guests.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family