Ways to Experience Ben Nevis
from $54.08
from $61.80
from $173.82
2,348 results
All reviews hard slog coming down half way hard work highest mountain tourist path peaks challenge highest peak tough walk great achievement walking poles warm clothes halfway point great climb highest point take your time visitor center
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Climbed this for the third time in 3 years. First time in May, second time was in August last year as the first climb of 3 peaks challenge which was the hardest thing I've done physically, and this time I went up with the dog.
Conditions were great and I wouldn't recommend climbing ben nevis without knowing for certain it was a nice dag, what's the point I'f theres no view.
I'm fit but heavy, it's all about bodyweight, light skinny people will fly up but if you're over 15 stone/ 95kg upward, you'll have a hard time.
Aim for 3 hours up and 2 hours down. I'm always a little over that time heading up.
Theres a lake around 1third the way up just over a grass verge on your left almost out of sight, of you take the slightly longer route, this is worth the extra walk and a nice resting place.
About half way up theres a small waterfall too, you can fill your empty bottle up here on the way down, I did this last time and no sore stomach after, lovely and cold refreshing water, because no doubt your supply will be warm by then.
The walk back down is tough. Easier than climbing up, but not by much, it's a different type of pain, mainly around the knees, made worse again by bodyweight.
I used my heavy military walking boots which are great for the big rocks and helping keep your ankles from twisting if you lose your footing, but you notice the weight after a while, what you really want it a lightweight trainer that has a decent enough sole, and just be careful where you place your feet.
Remember to add and remove layers as you get hot and cold, but I'd reccomend going bold and starting cold, as you'll quickly heat up and sweat, so just a tshirt, preferably nylon or a sweat wicking material.
Dont go crazy with big bags either, as long as you get a decent meal before walking up, you'll only need about 500 calories for the walk, most sugary stuff, maybe a small sandwich at the top, but even that isn't necessary. I take a 1.5 litre of water and 2 500mls in my rucksack side pockets so I can grab a drink when I need it, and when I stop every 20 mins for a breather i top the 500mls up from the bigger bottle.
My dog just drinks from the streams of water trickling down from the summit the whole way up, I took her dog bowl but never needed it.
The crofter bar in town is good for a nice burger afterwards.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I hiked Ben Nevis August 25/19. The weather was amazing with blue skies and warm temps. Shorts/T-shirt weather. I was expecting more cloud cover and rain. The trail is easy to follow. The first third of it is large rocks and steep in parts. The middle third is lose stones/shale and not as steep. The last part is steep climbing over medium/large rocks. I recommend taking gravol or some sort of motion sickness pill before you go if you are prone to motion sickness. You have to watch your step as the ground is constantly uneven. This can cause motion sickness. Needless to say bring lots of water and some protein bars or snacks. No toilets anywhere on the trail or even any bushes to go behind! Bring back everything you take up. Take breaks often to enjoy the views as they are breathtaking especially on a clear day like we had. It does cool down near the top and the wind does pick up.

Date of experience: August 2019
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

My sister & brother in law , there 10 year old daughter and me & my 7 year old son climbed Ben Nevis! We were extremely lucky and had amazing weather all the way to the top and back, it was hard work but we all had proper shoes/boots, walking sticks, plenty of food and water and coffee! Sun cream was needed too as it was a scorcher of a day! It took us 9 hours to go up and get back to base! When we ran out of water we were able to fill up from the multiple waterfalls, it was amazing tasting fresh water! We took 5-10 minute breaks every 30-45 minutes, with the kids it was essential to do so and eat and drink! Take plenty of food cos there are no shops at the top!!! Buy Avon so soft body spray as it 100% keeps away the midgies, I didn’t get bit once!

Date of experience: July 2019
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Make no mistake, this hike is not just a stroll through the park. If you want to make it to the top I recommend the following: Real hiking shoes, waterproof everything (jacket, pants, shoes), warm clothing, nutrition (I burned 2500 calories), hiking partner in case something does not go as planned.

This was one of the most challenging hikes my wife and I have accomplished. The elements were rain, wind, and cold at the top. There are lots of rocks on the trail, thus the way down is almost as challenging as the way up. I recommend taking your time and being smart. Towards the top it can get dicey with heavy rain or fog. The visibility is an issue and it is not easy to recognize the trail at that point since it is all rocks. There are large stone markers around every 300 ft which helps but again sometimes can't be seen in the low visibility. Also, there are steep cliff drop-offs up there, so if you find yourself in low visibility and are disoriented, it could be problematic.

If you want a simple hike, I recommend a mile or two then turn around and go back down. There is a waterfall on the way up that is just over halfway as a reference point.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Regretted taking all the gear when a pair of shorts and t shirt, plus bottle of water would suffice. Fantastic views, were a distraction from the high temperatures, quite unusual for the Ben.