“It's a very big mountain, take the correct equipment.”
Review of Ben Nevis

$65.00*
Full-Day Trip to Loch Ness and the Scottish Highlands
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Fondly called "Ben" by the locals, Britain's highest mountain towers 4,406 feet above the town of Fort William.
Reviewed November 20, 2013

What can I say about Ben Nevis that hasn't already been said? Ok, it's really big, leave early in the morning, check the weather before you go and if it's autumn ring the Hill Phone before you set off to ensure you don't end up in the path of the Dear cull. Don't forget to wear two apirs of socks and have spare socks and compede plasters in your rucksack along with your all weather waterproofs as the chances are you will experience all weathers on your walk up the mountain.

The tourist trail is reasonably comfortable and well maintained, you will still need good walking boots, layers of clothing as the temperature can vary considerably and don't forget your binoculars. The wild life and views are spectacular. It's a hard climb but once you reach the top it's so well worth it, it feeld increadible. Have a great climb.

The ski-ing is pretty good too but the best ski lift is over on Aonach Mor.

4  Thank Soozz
Write a ReviewReviews (1,861)

Reviewed November 18, 2013

My wife and I began our climb on a cold, sunny morning around 9am and 15 minutes into our climb we met someone who had already been to the top and back! The climb has a steep gradient at parts so it is not a walk in the park. There are some quite steep slopes running off the edge of the path, so caution is required. Just don't fool around on the edge and you will be okay.
Almost immediately into the climb you are greeted with some stunning scenery and around 45 minutes in, you experience some streams running down the side of the mountain with a lovely waterfall in the distance.
Lochan Meall was lovely to photograph with the sun glistening off its surface and looked home to some campers. I would love to wake up to that view every morning.
We didn't make it to the top of Ben Nevis, but stopped at the top of the waterfall as my wife came down with a bout of vertigo and refused to continue, but this waterfall is something that all climbers should stop and appreciate. It was Magnificent! Also check out the surrounding landscape too. Further up on the day we climbed, Ben Nevis was covered in cloud so we wouldn't have got to see what we did from the waterfall.
Definitely going back next summer to climb to the top though!

2  Thank Gareth H
Reviewed November 17, 2013

What a crazy and beautiful experience. Started out as a short walk up Be Nevis and we kept pushing ourselves up and up till we reached the summit. Problem was we weren't dressed for such a cold, windy and misty summit but ultimately we were happy that we made it. And the icing on cake was, when up there a Harrier jet just passed a few meters over us . Wow!

1  Thank Alex P
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Superb weather conditions in October let me enjoy the ascent to the top where the fog started to roll in suddenly and raw wind chilled me to the bone and I could hardly see anything around.

Be warned! By hillwalking standards it’s a straightforward route, but it’s not all about the mountain, in a split second the weather can change dramatically so always be well prepared for the day!

I met a lot of wonderful and interesting people on the way uphill, and would like to take this opportunity to say “thank you” to those thoughtful hikers who stopped to ask if I was alright when was taking a break.

Splendid time, tremendous effort combined with pleasure; giving a sense of achievement which lingers on.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

I had the chance of walking Ben Nevis a few years ago during a short break at Fort William. Checking the weather station at base was essential for planning. Although the Wedensday of our visit was originally the worse day to go it turned out in the end to be one of the most favourable (UK's weather unpredictability) and that was indeed the day we picked. A day was needed to do what I recall as being a 10 mile round walk..... and of course to take in the wonderful scenary before running headlong into cloudspace.

As one with vertigo (mine is safety based) although this is the highest peak in the UK it was the most pleasurable out Scafell Pike and Snowden with a decent ascent, that was only really a challenge on personal fitness - but we had put in plenty of training.

Having obtained a map prior to the assent I was more concerned at a bridge about a third of the way up which appeared to cross a void. I needn't have panicked as this bridge was wide enough for traffic in both directions as well as overtaking space and was in turn about as frightening as casper the friendly ghost at a housewarming party.

From here a zig zag path took the walker to the summit. This was strenuous and somewhat more upright than the guide but well worth the effort and again no challenge to the vertigo.

The top was barely visible but I was aware at one point how close I was to the north face... but there were plenty of cairns to help the walker through safe passage (perhaps the M25 could benefit from this!) The sight of whiskey bottles around the summit seemed, at first most appealing until we found out they were empty! That would have come in handy for the chilly regions as well as ourselves and other walkers too.

Back at work a few days later I had a debate with a colleague about there not being a gondola at Ben Nevis. I can report having been up there that there is no gondola, unless someone decided to take it down for the week we were there. There is however a gondola to Aonach Mor which is on the Nevis range (I believe). With this in mind just remember that when your up on the summit, you've reached the half way point.

This is one of our best challenges and pleasurable mountain walks to date. Highly recommended!

On a final note in answer to the following:

Food available for purchase - no facilities at all at the summit, unlike Snowden. Be prepared.
Bathroom facilities - no discreet points for relief (if desperate note wind direction first!)
Stairs / lift - NONE (if required try Aonach Mor instead)
Lockers / storage - backpack will suffice