All reviews walled garden tasting menu drawing room rolls royce queen victoria junior suite finest hotels clay pigeon shooting luxury hotel ben nevis public rooms memorable stay scottish highlands trip to scotland isle of skye stunning views bed and breakfast
Selected filters
Reviewed February 5, 2018 via mobile

Had a lovely stay here, hotel has plenty of character, staff very pleasant and friendly. Staff well trained and every attention paid to detail.

We had a lovely large suite on the top floor with great views including Ben Nevis. Room was clean and furnished well, comfortable large bed. Only two issues, no dressing table with mirror for my wife and water in shower played up somewhat in the morning.

I had lunch and dinner at the hotel both excellent.

Would certainly return.

Trip type: Traveled with friends
InverlochyCastle, Manager at Inverlochy Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2018

Thank you for taken the time to write kind review following your stay with us.

I am always thrilled to read the you were able to enjoy what Inverlochy has to offer. At Inverlochy, our Team strives to create an experience for our guest and I am glad this was the case for you.

I look forward to welcoming your return.

Reviewed February 1, 2018

I travelled to the highlands at short notice and hadnt booked my accommodation. I had intended to find a cosy bed and breakfast but hadnt relaised the vast majority would be closed in January. So I was stuck in Fort William (M and S cafe wifi!) at 5pm with nowhere to stay, having driven from Glagow to Mallaig and then back to Fort William in one day, feeling exhausted. There were two dismal looking hotels in FW available, which I really didnt fancy. Online I came across Inverlochy Castle Hotel and noticed mention of a Winter Offer. The usual booking websites weren't very helpful, so I rang the hotel direct and spoke to a very helpful person who told me about the Winter Offer (two nights for the price of one). It was certainly much more than I had intended to spend, and I would have to eat in the Hotel restaurant, as per the T&Cs of the offer. However the restaurant is Albert and Michel Roux, its been a long held dream of mine to eat in one of their establishments. I turned up rather sheepishly, I had come on a water-colour painting trip and planned to stay in a bnb so I had no 'fancy' clothes with me. From the moment I arrived, and throughout my two day stay the staff were so warm and welcoming, the perfect balance between respect and friendliness. I was so delighted to be upgraded to the Queen Suite, a simply stunning suite with wonderful views and such comfortable furniture and beautiful soft furnishings. The food was delicious and paired exquisitely with the wine flight. All service was delightful. I will definitely return, with husband in tow next time, to this traditional and beautiful hotel. Well done to everyone, you made me really happy and rescued a trip that was about to fall flat on it's face.

• Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank Julie D
InverlochyCastle, Manager at Inverlochy Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2018

Thank you for taken the time to write such a lovely review following your stay with us.

I am always thrilled to read the our guest are able to enjoy what Inverlochy has to offer. At Inverlochy, our Team strives to create an experience for our guests and I am glad this was the case for you.

Once again thank you for your lovely feedback which I will be sure to pass on to the team.

I look forward to welcoming your return.

Reviewed February 1, 2018

As soon as you arrive you notice the awards, lots of them, the clear glass type favoured by corporate industry events, normally presented by Johnny Vegas or Jimmy Carr. They’re very impressive, they are also very dusty. Make no mistake this is a hotel that thinks it’s great and proudly boasts it’s ‘the best in Scotland’ (BHIS) is it? I couldn’t comment having not been to all the hotels in Scotland. It is however one of the most expensive. The staff are actually very good and accommodating, the setting is wonderful and the hotel from a distance immensely impressive. Up close things are not so good unfortunately. The rooms impressive in size are (for the BHIS) rather shabby and tired. Heating is clearly an issue, nasty wall mounted radiators are supplemented by fan heaters. The food is tremendously expensive and principally the sort of pretentious nonsense that London gave up 20 years ago. The tasting menu, is exactly that, a taste only, you leave an eight course meal feeling hungry, and considerably poorer. The miniscule portions are occasionally very good, but only serve (or not) to open the palate without satisfying it. The sommelier (the elder one, not the younger one) was miserable and provided a flight of wine that combined probably didn’t amount to a glass. Really it’s a tad embarrassing when you have to ask the sommelier to please do more than moisten the bottom of the glass. OK all first world problems so why the one star? Well they did something quite remarkable, upon leaving we paid up and left. The hotel had it transpired forgotten to charge us for a dinner and some drinks (frankly the bill was so large even without this we missed it) and rather than apologise send us the bill and request payment, they took the charge directly off our debit card. Yes this hotel will do that they will take off payments that you have not agreed with, signed for or in any way acknowledged. Fraudulent? I couldn’t possibly comment, but this seems to be how this hotel operates, don’t worry what the client has signed for just charge them whatever they think is correct. I asked them to refund the payment send me the additional charges and they flatly refused. Be warned the BHIS is actually rather shabby, rather pretentious, worryingly expensive oh and if not dishonest certainly lacking in customer service skills. The staff were good, the snooker table not flat (oh the horror!).

Room tip: rooms in other hotels are probably better
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
6  Thank bob t
InverlochyCastle, Manager at Inverlochy Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2018

Dear Guest,

I was saddened to read your recent review of Inverlochy Castle.

You have addressed some concerns in your review which you had at no point mentioned throughout our at length communication, which I find surprising. In response to this we fully disagree and find your comments to be inaccurate.
As previously discussed we fully admit we were at fault due to an error on check out, one for which we are sincerely apologetic for. Sometimes systematic issues can happen which are out with our control, however we hold responsibility for this and in turn offered a gesture of good will as a way of an apology, which you declined.

Regardless of this, I wish not to deter from the fact that you were fairly charged for services which you had indulged in. The charges made stands as you enjoyed a luxurious weekend of drinks in front of our log burning fire in our grand hall and a fine dining experience which we are confident you had thoroughly enjoyed as you returned again for a second night.

Again, we sincerely apologise for the mistake at check out, an error on our part, however I’m afraid this was for a service which was received and well received at the time. Therefore payment was required accordingly.

Niki Gillies
Assistant Operations Manager
ICMI

Reviewed January 29, 2018 via mobile

Just wonderful! From the moment the doormen greeted us on arrival, to every little detail during our stay (including the superb packed lunch for our ascent of Nevis) this establishment is a class act. Already plotting a return visit, but would stay for 3 (rather than 2) nights next time, so as to fully immerse in the experience.

Date of stay: December 2017
Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a very generous review regarding your stay at Inverlochy. It is always appreciated when our guests enjoy Inverlochy as much as you did. Thank you for visiting Inverlochy and we hope to see you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed January 26, 2018 via mobile

Vacations with the family is awesome... sleeping in a castle is a dream! Beautiful place, excellent service, outstanding bedroom. Couldn’t be better.
It was a real royal experience.
Totally out of ordinary!!!

Trip type: Traveled with family
InverlochyCastle, Manager at Inverlochy Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2018

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your review.

We have a very dedicated team throughout Inverlochy Castle and I'll be sure to share your kind words with them.

I hope you're able to return for an equally enjoyable time in the not too distant future.

Kind Regards,