“Imposing hotel”

Inverlochy Castle Hotel
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Fort William
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Inverlochy was our second stop after gleneagles. This was more like it for us, similar to Gleneagles in many ways but more private, posher without being grand, and smaller so we didn't feel lost in the place. Nice staff, dinner okay but again over cheffed food - why can't they just cook it, without resorting to airs and foams and jellies and god knows what else? I suppose it's done to justify 67 quid per person.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank David B
InverlochyCastle, Manager at Inverlochy Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

I’m happy to hear you appreciated to private and exclusive atmosphere the Castle has to offer. I’m sorry you didn’t enjoy the style of food prepared in the Michelin star Restaurant. Chef is always happy to prepare dishes suited to individual guest’s preferences. I hope you will return in the future and don’t be shy to ask to speak to our head Chef Phillip so he may prepare you something more suited to your tastes.

Kind Regards

Reviewed September 10, 2012

We stayed at Inverlochy Castle this week . We nearly didn't stay as the castle was busy and we had booked into the Factor's Inn and it was so basic I couldn't stay there. For the record it's a disused public house in the grounds and if you are the sort who would want to stay in the castle then my advice would be don't book the inn, they do offer it to be helpful but it's a very different thing. Fortunatly June the hotel manager had availability in the gate house which sleeps quite a few so is quite expensive. It was fine just in need of a redec sometime soon but we had a deal and were content. We had our evening meal and our breakfast in the castle and the service was considered and friendly. The fire alarm sounded during dinner (not a fire) and we had to exit, most guests used the opportunity to chat and share the experience of flashing lights on a warm evening whilst drinking the lovely courtesy champagne provided - older guests were invited to sit in the roller. One of the best ways to judge a team and an establishment is during a crisis and in this respect Inverlochy was supreme and most guests were good natured and impressed by the professional and slick response. When we returned to the castle everything started again without missing a beat which was pretty good going as the gas had been turned off! Breakfast in the morning was excellent again and the service was lovely with the staff happy to share their knowledge of the local area and castle history. We will stay again but would book in advance into the castle. NB: As we stayed in the gatehouse some ratings are based on this at full price not the main castle bedrooms.

Room Tip: If you are a castle sort of person don't book the Factor's Inn as it's clean but very ba...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SMac324

Thank you for your kind review, and what an eventful stay you had whilst here, I’m sorry your evening was interrupted by the fire alarm but happy to hear the positive experience it turned out to be getting to know other guests whilst enjoying a glass of champagne on a mild Scottish evening. I hope you do return as I think perhaps a suite in the castle would suit you better. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed August 31, 2012

What a fantastic luxury hotel and perfect destination.If you want to treat yourselves to a special get away and truly be spoilt then look no further! The staff were superb and couldn't do enough for us.
They always had a smile and were very accommodating without being pompous.The atmosphere was very relaxed, while being beautifully refined at the same time. We particularly enjoyed our afternoon teas in the drawing room,which were the best we have ever had in Britain. The scones were freshly made and scrumptiously good and just in case that wasn't enough, they also served us the best shortbreads we have ever tasted. The dinner, although good,did not give us the wow factor we had hoped for. To be fair though,it followed on from our visit to Wisharts restaurant in Cameron House, Loch Lomond,which was a brilliant meal and the menu was perfectly balanced to create an harmonious experience..

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ram1314
InverlochyCastle, Manager at Inverlochy Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2012

Thank you for your kind review I am so pleased you enjoyed the relaxed and beautiful atmosphere here during your stay. If you have any additional feedback about your evening meal at the castle I would very much appreciate it and would like to invite you to contact me direct at janewatson@inverlochy.co.uk as all feedback good or bad is always invaluable. I hope we may welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed August 23, 2012

One wouldn't think of Scotland of having a plethora of posh palaces, but a stop at Inverlochy Castle is well worth the side trip to Fort William. Having stayed there twice, I would rush for a third time. The beauty, history, landscaping, service and atmosphere make it one of the most experiences in the British Isles. Plus, remarkable food, in the Castle befitting Queen Victoria, for whom one suite was created (and we popped for it second time around.)

Well worth the price and the extra drive!

Room Tip: A room in the "turret", the twin-bedded one with the marble fireplace in the bathroom or g...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ANSH90210
InverlochyCastle, Manager at Inverlochy Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2012

Thank you very much for your kind review, we have so many returning guests and I am pleased to hear you wouldn’t hesitate to return yourself for a little treat. I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

It is a nice but not exceptional castle. The location is not breathtaking even if the little lake near the castle is a pleasant view. The nearby village, Fort William, is certainly not one of the most charming locations in Scotland. The internal common areas are beautiful and well maintained, with large and decorated rooms, some of which are used for breakfast and dinner. Our bedroom was very large and overlooking the lake. Somewhat surprisingly in a five star hotel, there was no mini bar and the room only offered two bottles of water at room temperature. The bathroom was large, but quite old. In general, the atmosphere of the hotel is elegant but somewhat oldfashioned.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Andymanu
InverlochyCastle, Manager at Inverlochy Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your views on Inverlochy and Fort William.

I am sorry you were disappointed at not having a mini bar facility in your room. At Inverlochy we feel our guests would prefer a "personal" and "butler" style of service in all areas. We also want to be able to offer a wide variety of drinks other than have our guest settle only for what is offered in a limited mini bar.

We can certainly offer chilled water or fresh ice to any room day or night with limitless top ups on fresh bottled water.

I'm happy to read that you found your room spacious and you also enjoyed the public areas and fine decor.

I hope to welcome you back to Inverlochy in the near future.

Kind regards,

Jane Watson,
Hotel Manager
Inverlochy Castle

Reviewed August 11, 2012

To treat ourselves at the end of a conference in Glasgow, we decided to see if Inverlochy really deserved its entry in the book 1000 Places to See before You Die (as well as making the cover photo of the 2012 edition of the Eyewitness Travel Guide to Scotland). We were met as promised at the Fort William train station by a nice chatty cab driver who whisked us away to be greeted by David, who had arranged the stay with my husband in advance. We had chosen the only room on the third floor, Glen Nevis, which was even more beautiful than we’d already seen on the Castle’s extensive website.

Having checked in early, we enjoyed a delicious salad in the lounge and nodded politely to the incoming guests being led to their rooms – as if we were the lords of the castle welcoming our guests. After a walk around the property and enjoying the very unseasonable gorgeous Scottish sunshine in March and a couple of photos of Ben Nevis through the castle gates, we had delicious pots of China white and smoked black tea with Dundee cake served by Natalie, a new member of staff, in the drawing room. We were able to read there about the history of the castle and its transformation into a luxury hotel in Jewel of Highlands, a book devoted just to the Castle itself. We were also asked to make our choices for the evening meal in advance.

Our first dining experience in a MIchelin star restaurant was extraordinary – starting with champagne served in the lounge. The meal was a sensation – every course (and we ordered intentionally very different kinds of starters and main courses to test the range of the restaurant) including scallops, oxtail, sea bass, and rabbit perfectly cooked and served with an extraordinary attention to detail in the Red Room. After expressing our gratitude and praise and hoping to meet the chef, who comes from Sylt in Germany, we were told that he was actually on vacation. Well, maybe next time…

The next morning after a sumptuous breakfast including porridge with a shot of whiskey we chatted with a very welcoming member of staff originally from Canada, who took us on a little tour of the place and showed us the hidden entrance to the library dining room, available for smaller private meals. She and David told us about the good relationship with previous and current owners and explained the challenges in running a hotel in a castle – renovations are limited by the rules of listed buildings in Britain and thus installing an elevator, for example, is practically impossible. We praised the conditions of the drawing room and lounge – no sign of wear and tear anywhere – and wondered about the work required to maintain the beautiful gardens, which we’d wandered through that morning.

When I later told an English friend about our experience and about how all the “posh” people whispered in the drawing room, in the restaurant, and in the public areas, he burst out laughing and said they were behaving just as bourgeois as we were and that the really upper crust would’ve been quite raucous.

Whether bourgeois or to the manor born, we had a truly extraordinary stay, and by taking advantage of the low-season bed-dinner-breakfast rates in March, we thought considering the service and the quality that our brief stay was actually very reasonably priced, truly worth every penny.

We’ll be saving our pennies for a future stay at Inverlochy, which we now know fully deserves its sterling reputation in books and on the covers of guides.

Room Tip: have a look at the Inverlochy Castle Hotel website for very detailed 360 degree views of all the roo...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
InverlochyCastle, Manager at Inverlochy Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

I am so pleased to hear about all the things you enjoyed during your stay at Inverlochy Castle. Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review it certainly paints a great picture of the warmth and hospitality mixed with the luxurious surroundings. I was away during your stay so we didn’t get the chance to meet, but I am also pleased to hear you were so well taken care of by the staff including David my assistant hotel manager, and Deneil the Canadian staff member you chatted to. I hope you enjoyed feeling like the lord and lady and look forward to welcoming you back to the Castle on your next visit.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

Family of 6 with 4 teenagers we booked three rooms for three nights . The reception was welcoming,the castle is amazing and the view is splendid. We were exhausted upon arrival so I accepted old-yellow room 6 without really thinking. The king size bed although comfortable and equipped with embroided and crispy sheets was two twins put together and both pillows are unfluffed down ( there should be a choice of natural/synthetic filling ). The sofa and armchair were seriously floppy, you can sit down but not up, too shabby.
The bathroom was small, the shower,although clearly an afterthought was pleasant. The bath water was yellow/green so I inquired and was told it was due to peat from the Ben Nevis and perfectly safe to bathe and drink but I wished I had been forewarned as to not be grossed out. The fake stone wallpaper was unglued at the seams and that is not acceptable in a good hotel .
Because I did not find a comfortable place to sit I asked to change rooms the second day before new guests arrive and was offered to switch with my kids! As if I had not thought about it myself! They promised to do all the luggage switching while we were out and forgot my suitcase!

Room 19 has two nice chairs and two floppy unrenovated armchairs , the blue color of the room, drapes and carpet is beautiful but the windows were dirty, same twin beds put together. The bathroom has a squealing cork top stool covered with a bathmat, the lights over the sink are a different wattage, the faux marble/plastic shower is low(less than 6feet) and the mats are frayed at the edges?

Breakfast was truly wonderful : good menu served with generosity and attention by Chrissy and Isabel.
We had dinner one of the nights, it was a delicious meal really well executed: the seafood and the meats were cooked to perfection and the atmosphere in the dining room was extremely pleasant despite the formal wear.
The hotel has no pool ,no spa, no fitness. No real concierge services.
So we had an enjoyable stay but this is not a five star accommodation and I feel we overpaid for the rooms. It is possible to renovate without loosing authenticity, bathrooms need quality fixtures and more attention to detail.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank eisette
InverlochyCastle, Manager at Inverlochy Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2012

Thank you for your constructive comments. Feedback is always helpful and appreciated. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your meals and that you were so well taken care of by Chrissy and Isabell. I will certainly pass these comments on to them and our head chef, Philip Carnegie.
Should we have the opportunity to welcome you and your family back to Inverlochy Castle I will do my utmost to ensure you enjoy your stay to its full potential.

Kind regards,

#1 of 1 in Banavie
Cruachan Hotel
Cruachan Hotel
#13 of 21 in Fort William

Been to Inverlochy Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!