“Elegant oldfashioned hotel”

Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Fort William
Reviewed August 16, 2012

It is a nice but not exceptional castle. The location is not breathtaking even if the little lake near the castle is a pleasant view. The nearby village, Fort William, is certainly not one of the most charming locations in Scotland. The internal common areas are beautiful and well maintained, with large and decorated rooms, some of which are used for breakfast and dinner. Our bedroom was very large and overlooking the lake. Somewhat surprisingly in a five star hotel, there was no mini bar and the room only offered two bottles of water at room temperature. The bathroom was large, but quite old. In general, the atmosphere of the hotel is elegant but somewhat oldfashioned.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Andymanu
InverlochyCastle, Manager at Inverlochy Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your views on Inverlochy and Fort William.

I am sorry you were disappointed at not having a mini bar facility in your room. At Inverlochy we feel our guests would prefer a "personal" and "butler" style of service in all areas. We also want to be able to offer a wide variety of drinks other than have our guest settle only for what is offered in a limited mini bar.

We can certainly offer chilled water or fresh ice to any room day or night with limitless top ups on fresh bottled water.

I'm happy to read that you found your room spacious and you also enjoyed the public areas and fine decor.

I hope to welcome you back to Inverlochy in the near future.

Kind regards,

Hotel Manager
Inverlochy Castle

There are newer reviews for Inverlochy Castle Hotel

Reviewed August 11, 2012

To treat ourselves at the end of a conference in Glasgow, we decided to see if Inverlochy really deserved its entry in the book 1000 Places to See before You Die (as well as making the cover photo of the 2012 edition of the Eyewitness Travel Guide to Scotland). We were met as promised at the Fort William train station by a nice chatty cab driver who whisked us away to be greeted by David, who had arranged the stay with my husband in advance. We had chosen the only room on the third floor, Glen Nevis, which was even more beautiful than we’d already seen on the Castle’s extensive website.

Having checked in early, we enjoyed a delicious salad in the lounge and nodded politely to the incoming guests being led to their rooms – as if we were the lords of the castle welcoming our guests. After a walk around the property and enjoying the very unseasonable gorgeous Scottish sunshine in March and a couple of photos of Ben Nevis through the castle gates, we had delicious pots of China white and smoked black tea with Dundee cake served by Natalie, a new member of staff, in the drawing room. We were able to read there about the history of the castle and its transformation into a luxury hotel in Jewel of Highlands, a book devoted just to the Castle itself. We were also asked to make our choices for the evening meal in advance.

Our first dining experience in a MIchelin star restaurant was extraordinary – starting with champagne served in the lounge. The meal was a sensation – every course (and we ordered intentionally very different kinds of starters and main courses to test the range of the restaurant) including scallops, oxtail, sea bass, and rabbit perfectly cooked and served with an extraordinary attention to detail in the Red Room. After expressing our gratitude and praise and hoping to meet the chef, who comes from Sylt in Germany, we were told that he was actually on vacation. Well, maybe next time…

The next morning after a sumptuous breakfast including porridge with a shot of whiskey we chatted with a very welcoming member of staff originally from Canada, who took us on a little tour of the place and showed us the hidden entrance to the library dining room, available for smaller private meals. She and David told us about the good relationship with previous and current owners and explained the challenges in running a hotel in a castle – renovations are limited by the rules of listed buildings in Britain and thus installing an elevator, for example, is practically impossible. We praised the conditions of the drawing room and lounge – no sign of wear and tear anywhere – and wondered about the work required to maintain the beautiful gardens, which we’d wandered through that morning.

When I later told an English friend about our experience and about how all the “posh” people whispered in the drawing room, in the restaurant, and in the public areas, he burst out laughing and said they were behaving just as bourgeois as we were and that the really upper crust would’ve been quite raucous.

Whether bourgeois or to the manor born, we had a truly extraordinary stay, and by taking advantage of the low-season bed-dinner-breakfast rates in March, we thought considering the service and the quality that our brief stay was actually very reasonably priced, truly worth every penny.

We’ll be saving our pennies for a future stay at Inverlochy, which we now know fully deserves its sterling reputation in books and on the covers of guides.

Room Tip: have a look at the Inverlochy Castle Hotel website for very detailed 360 degree views of all the roo...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
InverlochyCastle, Manager at Inverlochy Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

I am so pleased to hear about all the things you enjoyed during your stay at Inverlochy Castle. Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review it certainly paints a great picture of the warmth and hospitality mixed with the luxurious surroundings. I was away during your stay so we didn’t get the chance to meet, but I am also pleased to hear you were so well taken care of by the staff including David my assistant hotel manager, and Deneil the Canadian staff member you chatted to. I hope you enjoyed feeling like the lord and lady and look forward to welcoming you back to the Castle on your next visit.

Jane Watson

Reviewed August 5, 2012

Family of 6 with 4 teenagers we booked three rooms for three nights . The reception was welcoming,the castle is amazing and the view is splendid. We were exhausted upon arrival so I accepted old-yellow room 6 without really thinking. The king size bed although comfortable and equipped with embroided and crispy sheets was two twins put together and both pillows are unfluffed down ( there should be a choice of natural/synthetic filling ). The sofa and armchair were seriously floppy, you can sit down but not up, too shabby.
The bathroom was small, the shower,although clearly an afterthought was pleasant. The bath water was yellow/green so I inquired and was told it was due to peat from the Ben Nevis and perfectly safe to bathe and drink but I wished I had been forewarned as to not be grossed out. The fake stone wallpaper was unglued at the seams and that is not acceptable in a good hotel .
Because I did not find a comfortable place to sit I asked to change rooms the second day before new guests arrive and was offered to switch with my kids! As if I had not thought about it myself! They promised to do all the luggage switching while we were out and forgot my suitcase!

Room 19 has two nice chairs and two floppy unrenovated armchairs , the blue color of the room, drapes and carpet is beautiful but the windows were dirty, same twin beds put together. The bathroom has a squealing cork top stool covered with a bathmat, the lights over the sink are a different wattage, the faux marble/plastic shower is low(less than 6feet) and the mats are frayed at the edges?

Breakfast was truly wonderful : good menu served with generosity and attention by Chrissy and Isabel.
We had dinner one of the nights, it was a delicious meal really well executed: the seafood and the meats were cooked to perfection and the atmosphere in the dining room was extremely pleasant despite the formal wear.
The hotel has no pool ,no spa, no fitness. No real concierge services.
So we had an enjoyable stay but this is not a five star accommodation and I feel we overpaid for the rooms. It is possible to renovate without loosing authenticity, bathrooms need quality fixtures and more attention to detail.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank eisette
InverlochyCastle, Manager at Inverlochy Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2012

Thank you for your constructive comments. Feedback is always helpful and appreciated. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your meals and that you were so well taken care of by Chrissy and Isabell. I will certainly pass these comments on to them and our head chef, Philip Carnegie.
Should we have the opportunity to welcome you and your family back to Inverlochy Castle I will do my utmost to ensure you enjoy your stay to its full potential.

Kind regards,

Reviewed July 31, 2012

We stayed here for a few nights on a recent tour of the highlands. We have had the privilege of staying in some of the finest hotels around the world, and disappointingly, we can't rank this hotel as more than average, (within the realm of luxury accommodations).

What we liked:
- the location is amazing
- excellent service
- excellent food
- treated our young daughter very well (a mark of a great hotel is how well they treat your kids: they're on holiday too!)

What we didn't like:
- requires some obvious maintenance: dingy grout in bathrooms, peeling paint on ceilings, dirty windows and sills
- we stayed in the King's Room. The bed looks like a king-sized bed, but as is often the case in the UK, it's actually a couple of twins rammed together to look like a king.
- The decor is actually quite cheap. Bathroom fixtures, showers, etc., look like something from Home Depot: Not what one would expect for the setting.

Basically, this place is expensive for the sake of being expensive, and exclusive. I don't mind paying a lot when you're getting a lot, but ultimately, this hotel doesn't warrant its rates.

Do drop by for dinner though; the food and service is excellent.

Previous to staying in this hotel, we stayed at the Ardeonaig Hotel, near Loch Tay, and we can highly recommend it. We subsequently stayed at Kinloch Lodge on the Isle of Skye, and can also recommend it as a very good destination.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Wanta_great_spot
InverlochyCastle, General Manager at Inverlochy Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2012

Thank you for your review, in this industry all feedback, good and bad is invaluable.
I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the food and service, these are only part of what we all take great pride in here at the Castle. We also take great pride in maintaining the luxurious surroundings, antiques and fine furnishings that fill Inverlochy Castle. I hope you will return in the future to enjoy the fine food and service and see how we are constantly striving to maintain high standards throughout.

Jane Watson

Reviewed July 13, 2012

Love, love, love Inverlochy Castle! So nice and elegant, but not stuffy at all. The drive up to the castle took my breath away! Jane greeted us and checked us in, then gave us a tour of the castle. Our room, Glencoe was beautiful! It was huge and elegantly decorated. The bathroom was nice, but the shower was tiny. Our view was spectacular-overlooking the back grounds, the cows and pond. We could even hear the cows mooing in the meadow! There were menus in the room, and we called in our order before we went downstairs for pre-dinner drinks and canapes. We ordered the tasting menu with wine pairings. All the staff were friendly and there was nothing we couldn't ask for. We had a beautiful table by the window in the lovely dining room. Most of the tables were filled. The food was excellent! It was lovely to watch the sunset while enjoying a delicious dinner in such an elegant setting. After dinner, we had coffee in the drawing room while listening to live piano music. It was fun talking with other guests-turns out we were all from California! The grounds are beautifully manicured and so pretty. The walled garden was a little wild, and it looked like a working garden where we saw herbs and produce growing, along with flowers. There is a billiard room with a pool table for guests' use. Breakfast was all made to order and delicious. We had Scottish pancakes and the basket of croissants and pastries were to die for! I have to mention that we needed to have some things shipped home, as our bags were getting too full. Inverlochy Castle staff took care of everything for us. The package was waiting for us at home when we arrived 2 weeks later. And to our surprise and delight, the 2 umbrellas and bottle of perfume that we left in our room was also in the package. Thank you so much! I could go on and on about Inverlochy Castle and it's staff, but I'll let you be the judge-Inverlochy Castle is a must stay if you're traveling to the Fort William area. I'll definitely return! We had a 2 night stay and it wasn't enough. We loved the food so much that we ate in the dining room both nights! We had the most memorable stay.

Room Tip: We loved our room-Glencoe
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jennifer L
InverlochyCastle, Manager at Inverlochy Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2012

Thank you very much first of all for taking the time to share your very valued comments on Trip Advisor. It is always very welcome to read when a guest has enjoyed their stay as much as you have. We do indeed aim our standards very high so I am truly delighted we managed to deliver to your expectations. No request is too much for us, so sending some of your luggage back home along with the items you left behind by mistake was our pleasure.

We will look forward to your return visit in the near future. Thank you again for your beautiful comments.

Best wishes and kind regards,

Reviewed July 9, 2012

For our Ruby Anniversary the whole family went to Inverlochy Castle Hotel near Fort William for a couple of nights. What a treat! From the moment we walked in to the time we left we were made so welcome and we were thoroughly pampered in sheer comfort and luxury. The food was superb (the Head Chef took us into the kitchen to decide what we wanted cooked for our celebration meal) and they even set up a table in a private room and gave us two complimentary bottles of champagne. We were in a junior suite whose size and decor was stately and yet comfortable. I have never stayed in a room where, once you closed the door, you never heard a sound....until now! So restful. It is expensive but for a special treat worth every penny.What price memories!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank TheHighlandsCrofter
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

I am pleased you chose Inverlochy Castle for such a special occasion, as I understand you and your family also chose one of our sister properties to celebrate a special birthday. Your continued support is so very welcome and we are proud that we were able to meet your expectations for both celebrations. It goes without saying that we will very much look forward to welcoming you back to Inverlochy Castle or any of our other properties in the future.

Reviewed June 25, 2012

My daughter and I stayed here one night. We had fun playing the lawn chess game in the beautiful surroundings! Our room was lovely, although it was a little warm with no air conditioning. They did give us a fan. Dinner was good as well. What a special place.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank cjg2901
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

Thank you for your kind review, I am so pleased to hear you and your daughter enjoyed your time here together. It is not too often one can say Fort William is too warm! I hope to welcome you both back in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fort William
#1 of 1 in Banavie
RiverBeds Luxury Wee Lodges
RiverBeds Luxury Wee Lodges
#1 of 3 in Ballachulish

Been to Inverlochy Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!