“Minimal food with slow service”
Review of The Crofter

The Crofter
Ranked #5 of 67 Restaurants in Fort William
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Scottish
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Coatesville, Pennsylvania
“Minimal food with slow service”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

If you had their beer you might not notice that the food service was slow. The shrimp scampi was like little crunchies with no taste. Unfortunately we were tired and hungry and this was the closest place to the car park. I figured it would be as good as Toby Carver, it wasn't.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank 42golf56_9

• Polish first
“Poor food and average service”
Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

Decidedly greasy and overcooked breakfast. One to avoid even if you are starving. Service isn't too bad though

1 Thank Ben00thompson
crofterbar, Owner at The Crofter, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Sorry you felt that the FRIED breakfast was greasy but I am sure you realise that this is a fried breakfast of which the majority of the brekafast is fried in vegetable oil?
Montreal, Canada
“Good food for a good price”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

What you pay for is what you get. The place is very busy but the waiters are there on time, congrats for that! I had the mac n cheese and I loved it. Really creamy, cheesy, buttery, not those light yellow macaronis you find elsewhere. My boyfriend took the steak pie and loved it. The beer selection was also great and we loved that our waiter could suggest us some of the local beers. The food and the ambiance worth a dinner.

• Visited August 2012
Aberdeen
“Disappointing food”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We ate in the Crofter on Friday evening. The menu was fine - standard pub grub. Unfortunately the food and service weren't quite what we'd wished for.

Ordering a burger and fries, my husband found that while his burger was cooked thoroughly, it was not hot enough to have melted the cheese on top. I had macaroni cheese, and while this was tasty, the cucumber that came with the salad looked especially dried out.

The burger was served on a wooden 'chopping board' with the fries in a small frying basket. This appears to be the new trend. My personal concern with these boards is that they're obviously hacked up by knives etc and I question the cleanliness and hygiene. None the worse for it, I guess they must be fine, but plates are preferable in our opinion.

My husband finished first and his platter was cleared away while I continued to finish my food. I thought for an awful moment that the young chap was almost going to stand and wait for me to finish. This is a pet hate of mine - I consider it rude to leave the table while someone else is still eating, so have no inclination to have plates cleared. Aside from this, staff were helpful and friendly.

On finishing our meal, my husband advised the member of staff of our concerns re service and food - he responded that he would let the chef/staff know. That's fine, but doesn't particularly help our situation. We were left somewhat disappointed and would not rush to return.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank AbClare
crofterbar, Owner at The Crofter, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Many thanks for taking the time review the Crofter. After reading your review, whilst I was dissapointed that you were unhappy with certain aspects of your meal, you did point out these were based on personal preferences. I use reviews to identify how to take my business forward and I am especially pleased that you found the staff to both helpful and friendly. I take food presentation very seriously so sorry you felt that the new trend of serving board was not to your satisfaction but one thing I can assure you is that these boards are specially treated and are washed in our commercial dishwasher and prefectly safe to serve or we would not be allowed to use such serving items.I try to do things slightly differently so as it's a break from the norm but not so much as to upset people, but the opposite to excite cutomers.
I have instructed my staff to be more vigilant and not to clear away plates until all parties are finished so please accpet my apologies for his over enthusiasm.
All in All after your husband had mentioned our shortcommings, I presume you were looking for a discount to be applied to your bill and for this I am sorry that this was misread, however rest assure that I have printed your review and displayed to the staff so that hopefully we won't make that mistake again.
Lasswade
“Steak, mmmmmmm.”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Brief stop over in Fort William so grabbed a quick meal in pub during a football match. I love food and football, so apologies to the missus, but we both loved the steak, cooked to perfection, side dishes were usual dont get to excited.

Visited August 2012