“Pretty average service and ok food”
Review of The Crofter

The Crofter
Ranked #7 of 69 Restaurants in Fort William
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 24, 2012

We went in for lunch mid-week, the young girl who was serving us seemed as if she didn't want to be there, slamming our drinks down on the table - perhaps we caught her on a bad day?

The food was ok, nothing particularly fancy, I had cajun chicken which was ok but poorly presented. However my partner had soup & sandwich and the soup was just lovely!

The poor service definitely put a dampener on our experience. But to be fair one member of staff was particularly pleasant when clearing our table which lightened up the tone slightly - shame it hadn't been a happy staff member from the start of our lunch.

So we left slightly underwhelmed, I would not tell people not to go as I feel we were unfortunate on the day and if we were in the area again we may well give it another go as the food was decent enough if you choose the right thing!

Management response:Responded June 29, 2012

Hi Janice,

Many thanks for taking the time to review the Crofter. I am extremeley dissappointed that one of my team members has let the entire team down. We are working very hard to create a welcoming environment for our customers on arrival, during the stay and on departure. I have printed off the review and will bring it up at our next team meeting.

I do hope that next time you are in the area you will pop back in and see for yourself that we have made the effort to improve on our welcoming environment.

Reviewed June 23, 2012

Good coffee - helpful staff. Put the tourist information next door to shame.

Reviewed June 21, 2012

Went up to visit Fort William with my wife last weekend and the first pub we saw was the Crofter Bar.Must admit we had a great time with the bar staff and locals alike and felt so welcomed that i think we hardly paid for a drink..(not intentional)
I would recommend this place to people seeking value for money and a good time..
Wishing all the lovely bar staff and locals all the very best and hopefully see you guys soon!

Reviewed June 19, 2012

On a recent trip to Fort William to enjoy the west highland way, for which I was presented a personalised certificate for finishing, we decided to stop in for a breakfast. The Crofter breakfast was excellent value for money but I would recommend the haggis on the menu, which is terrific. The staff were attentive and the owner who is apparently South African, went out of his way to make sure we were looked after. The place was full of people enjoying coffees and breakfasts, we even had to laugh as there is a mounted stag head on the wall called "Lionel" the name of our cat, a striking resemblance except for the horns! I have read some of the other reviews here, and have not found any that are representative of the experience we had, which was fantastic. I will definitely make another turn at this remarkable restaurant. Sláinte

Reviewed June 8, 2012

I have visited this establishment twice in the past year after completing the WHW. The first time we received anti-English abuse from the locals.

Second time, having noticed a welcoming "Well done on completing the WHW - come and get your certificate" sign I opted to go in again - to recieve the same treatment but this time from the bar staff! I was welcomed ok, but as soon as I said hi back and attempted to order a drink the person in question opted to serve somebody else, and then proceeded to do the same three more times at which point I left (the bar was fairly quiet and these people entered AFTER I had arrived and stood at the bar!) - so we left to a sarcastic "thanks for coming, bye" from the barmaid.

Completely unacceptable - do not go in this bar if you are a walker (and definately not if English!) and fancy a celebratory pint - put your money elsewhere,

3  Thank tiger_bob85
crofterbar, Owner at The Crofter, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2012

I am very dissapointed to read your review of my premises. I certainly am not anti english but cannot speak for other cutomers who use my premises.

Whislt I have lived in Scotland for 16years orginally being born and brought up in South Africa, I have always noticed that the Scots and English have a healthy rivalry but never noticed any anti english sentiment in my premises.

I have printed this review off and distributed it to all my staff to make them aware that you as a customer feels this way, which hopefully we can solve.

I work very hard at customer satisfaction and am always dissapointed when a see one but ultimately I realise that we will never be perfect as we are all human, so please accept my sincere apologies for not ensuring that you were welcomed to the Crofter.

I hope you will return to Fort William on day that I may meret you perosnally and show you how it should be done.