“Best steak I've eaten in ages!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Food Stop

The Food Stop
Ranked #32 of 66 Restaurants in Fort William
Cuisines: British, Scottish
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Between Wolves and Wales
“Best steak I've eaten in ages!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

My family and I have just come back from a few days in Fort William and we decided to try the Alexandra Hotel having seen it on many occasions on visits to Fort William standing impressively overlooking the green in the town.

The food was very wholesome, presented very nicely and enjoyable. On my first night I had the haggis followed by the Aberdeen Angus steak pie.

We enjoyed it enough to make another visit 2 nights later. This time I went for the stuffed mushrooms to start which were delicious then the rib eye steak. This was cooked to perfection and very succulent, served with a red onion marmalade, stornoway black pudding and fried onions. It was the tastiest steak I have eaten in a long time and was very welcome after the awful steak I had to send back the previous evening at the nearby Brewers Fayre.

The side salads were very good too with fresh, tasty salad - sometimes the side salads can leave a lot to be desired.

A very enjoyable couple of meals and highly recommended

The live Scottish music in the bar added to the authentic atmosphere

Stayed October 2012, travelled with family

• Visited October 2012

Zurich, Switzerland
“Not worth what it costs...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

We were nice welcomed to a not really crowdy room. After beeing seated asked to order drinks as we did, the mineral water arrived quickly at our table but then no one noticed us. A few waitresses were busy setting tables and having discussions so they ignored the guests completly. After around 25minutes finally somebody saw our hungry waving signal. The meal came more or less within acceptable time. The starters were great, but the main curse wasn't. I ordered a medium steak for 19£ which was everything else then medium: it was bone dry. The pie was overcooked aswell! Maybe the cuisine isnt that bad and just the service.. but i would certainly not recommend that restaurant!

Perth, United Kingdom
“Great Value Family Meals”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

We stopped off here on our way back to Perth and glad we did . Friendly service, children made very welcome and good wholesome food (at great value) - some of the things sadly lacking in a lot of places these days.Well done the Alexandra Hotel!

• Visited July 2012
“Don't bother.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2012

Staying at the hotel and was told when I checkef in that the resturant was open until 10pm. When I went to the restaurant at 9:35 and asked about getting a meal the woman huffed and scoffed that it was 15 minutes too late. She wrote my room number down then stormed off to complain to her co workers. When she returned I told her not to bother I'll go elsewhere. She ignored me so I simply left. The accomodation staff are lovely - but avoid the food stop... The name really should be enough to turn you of anyway... Wonder if the will try and charge me for a meal I never even got to order.

Fort William, United Kingdom
“Tastes like reheated frozen food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

Very disappointed in the quality of the food we had for dinner. I even asked if I could have garden peas instead of mushy peas but was given a lettuce leaf instead.