“Good atmosphere, pricey food”

Glen Nevis Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #4 of 68 Restaurants in Fort William
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Vanersborg, Sweden
“Good atmosphere, pricey food”
Reviewed August 10, 2011

We found the restaurant by chance after we had been sightseeing in the Glen Nevis area and were really hungry.

The restaurant had a posh look, very beautifully decorated and a good atmosphere. The staff were nice, but were very discreet and it felt if they were afraid of something. When we asked for the bill the waitress said "excuse me", which we didn't understand because she hadn't done anything wrong.

Since the restaurant had such a posh look we expected the food to be extraordinary in some way too, but here we were greatly disappointed. The food was ok, but neither more or less than that.

The restaurant and its location was really nice, but it was rather pricey for the regular food they served. The same kind of food is served cheaper in a normal pub.

• Visited July 2011

• Polish first
Newcastle upon Tyne
“decent enough atmosphere but food pretty lousy (and expensive)”
Reviewed August 4, 2011

My son and I stopped in here for a drink while cycling back from a climb on Stob Ban. The choice of real ales was OK, and on one occasion I got a decent taster. We decided to eat, as we were running out of time to eat back in FW (my son being only 10 and not allowed in bars after 8pm). He ordered a kids' pizza which was OK, and fairly cheap so OK, but I ordered Chilli costing the thick end of £10, and it was dire. It reminded me of school dinners, but probably slightly worse. I asked to try a second real ale, but the taster this time was barely a tea-spoon (no exaggeration) and somewhat grudgingly given, so stuck with the ale I had first time round. All in all, the atmosphere was fine (pretty full of walkers and outdoor folk), and the beer was nice enough, but don't waste your money on the food.

• Visited August 2011
Port Glasgow, United Kingdom
“great food and service”
Reviewed June 13, 2011

we were camping in the nevis camp site in april this year
the weather was not on our side that week
howling gales and rain, headed up to the bar, great service was made very welcome, just ordered coffee for two, large boiling hot pot of coffee arrived (we had three cups each) it was that good, we had a meal one night oh my god the steak pie was never ending best i've tasted and my partner had the chicken glen nevis that was fab he said, sorry i never got to try it but the steak pie had me beat well done chef, sorry no room for pudding, heading back up this week can't wait to head up to the bar for some great food again, and the staff happy to chat away, great service and value for money, not to be missed,

• Visited April 2011
2 Thank nuttycow999
Lichfield, United Kingdom
“A little disappointing”
Reviewed June 9, 2011

I'm finding it quite difficult to write this review as this place has all the tools to do the job well but something doesn't quite fit!

The location is great with views over to Ben Nevis & the river. There is plenty of outside seating, which when you have a four legged companion with you is always a bonus. However, we were not allowed to take him inside.

During our weeks stay in Fort William we ate here once & enjoyed a few beverages on numerous occasions.

The choice of food is extensive but I do have to say for what you pay the portions are small! The staff are very attentive & ensure you are well looked after. However, the atmosphere is very odd in the fact that there doesn't really appear to be one. To be honest I felt like I was in an episode of "Cross Roads". The place is dated & would actually fit better in a holiday camp than at the foot of the largest mountain in Scotland.

Not a place that caters for booted walkers, more suited to families & the older generation.

• Visited June 2011
Fort William, United Kingdom
“A real treat: top service, super staff, delicious food.”
Reviewed May 30, 2011

Huge thank you to Robert from the Glen Nevis Restaurant for rescueing myself, 11 drowned rats, a damp parent and our ranger from the deluge this morning. He resuscitated us with coffee, lemonade, chocolate brownies and shortbread. A kind and generous gesture, much appreciated by every one of us!

Thanks also to Bruce to for the attentive service.

• Visited May 2011