“Superb Food by the River Ness”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Abstract - CLOSED

The Abstract
Cuisines: European, British, Scottish
Good for: Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Nestled on the banks of the River Ness within the Glen Moriston Hotel, Abstract Inverness is a stylish bar and restaurant recently dubbed a ���rising star��� by the Michelin Guide. Head Chef Geoffrey Malmedy specializes in modern French cuisine using locally sourced Scottish ingredients wherever possible. Popular dishes include Black Isle beef fillet with oxtail; Scottish halibut with vanilla and chervil; and hot strawberry souffl��. The chic piano bar boasts a huge list of malt whiskies, a wide selection of cocktails and an extensive international wine list. Abstract was the first restaurant in Scotland to introduce a chef's table. Situated in the kitchen, it offers a unique opportunity for diners to enjoy a stunning tasting menu whilst watching the team at work.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Superb Food by the River Ness”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

The Abstract is simply superb. The food is brilliantly conceived and beautifully presented. The Chef deserves great congratulations.

Visited October 2012

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Exceptional”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I was taken to The Abstract and therefore not sure what to expect. The meal turned out to be one of the best I've eaten.

The menu choice was intriguing and with hindsight I would've been confident choosing any of the dishes. I opted for a smoked salmon starter, guinea fowl main and pistachio/cherry desert. My partner chose a scallop/confit chicken starter and eye fillet main. In addition to the 3 courses which were well thought out and carefully constructed, the meal was expanded by a selection of amuse bouche, bread, pre-starter and pre-dessert. Each of these mini courses were just as carefully prepared. The pre-dessert was a strawberry dish with a mini jelly, panacotta with a caramalised sugar shard, sorbet, mousse, strawberry, strawberry dust and a warm cinnamon doughnut. It was lovely. This restaurant has a good team with exceptional food and warm service. Hope to visit again.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, good (but not excellent) wine, pricey”
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I recently went here to try their new tasting menu with my wife. They'd changed the tasting menu on the day we arrived, so I think we were the first couple to try it. This also meant it wasn't what we'd been expecting! Things started with canapes - duck heart on a little bit of pastry (I wasn't convinced, tending to feel that offal is OK mixed with other things, but not really nice enough to make a feature of), a tiny pastry parcel with a cockle inside, and a cheesy potato croquette.

The amuse bouche was, I think, a take on BLT: lettuce soup, tomato jelly (with bacon and onion rings), and rarebit with truffle. These were good, and went better with the accompanying Prosecco than I was expecting, although I found the flavour of the tomato jelly a bit uneven (much more tomato at the bottom), and I had to ask for a spoon to eat it with.

The first course was Rabbit & Langoustines: ballotine of rabbit leg, loin, chilled pea cannelloni, creel caught langoustine, bisque. For me the ballotine was the highlight of this dish, with a flavour that developed during each mouthful. The langoustine was spot-on, and I was happy not to have to dismantle it myself :) Actually, the pea cannelloni deserves a mention, too: simple but tasty and a bit different.

Next were Scallops: hand-dived scallops from Ullapool, confit chicken wings, chicory, parsnips, smoked bacon. Every bit of this was good individually, but combining a little of each into one mouthful was particularly fine. Probably the first time I've really liked scallops :)

An all-veggy course next; Artichoke: custard of Jerusalem artichokes, soy, borlotti, beetroot, chestnuts, mustard, borage. I really liked the beetroot (which was sliced very thinly, fried, and crispy) and its contrast with the artichoke custard, but the ensemble lacked a certain something.

The second fishy course was Sea Bass: fillet of sea bass, clams, cod cheek, trompettes, pickled shallot, salted grapes, verjus, olive oil parsley. Another winning course for me - a great contrast between the delicate bass and the meatier cod, and the slighly unlikely-sounding accompanyments worked really well.

The meat course was Beef: 28-day aged Buccleuch beef fillet, jowl, cuttlefish, garlic, radish, morels. The fillet was good, but was perhaps overshadowed by the slow-cooked jowl which was melt-in-the-mouth tender and very tasty! Cuttlefish (one of several things I'd not eaten before) seemed a bit of a Pointless Tentacle, and I think a bit more garlic would have helped.

A pre-dessert followed, which was a set of strawberry-flavoured things, some lavender pannacotta, and a small doughnut. These were all fine, but I didn't think they really made a coherent dish.

Finally, pudding was Chocolate: layered chocolate, banana & rum, banana parfait, chocolate gel, praline. I really enjoyed the flavours of this course, and generally feel that more banana-containing puddings make the world a better place :) If I were to be critical, there wasn't much in the way of contrasting textures.

The food was, on the whole, excellent. The accompanying wines were fine, but unremarkable, which was a shame. They generally went with the food, although I felt the beef course needed a rather more assertive red wine. Portions were about right: we were full but not stuffed, and there had been enough wine, but we weren't drunk. The restaurant itself is tastefully decorated: dark wood, and abstract art on the walls; there was a pianist for much of the evening who was pretty good. Service was good, although the waiter hadn't quite memorized the new tasting menu. At £55 for food and £25 for wine per person, it's probably the most expensive meal I've had; while the food was excellent and we had a great evening, I don't think it's noticeably better than some rather cheaper meals I've had in the past.

• Visited September 2012
UK
“Great Dining Experience”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Everything about Abstract is fabulous. The ambience, the staff, and the food is so good. The dining room looks out the River Ness.We have dined here several times now, and it has been a pleasure, Thank you!

Visited May 2012
Belfast, United Kingdom
“great meal”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

really enjoyed our meal here - fantastic service. Wine choice and menu was varied, and the setting was lovely

Visited August 2012