“Could be so much better”
Review of Pizza Express

Pizza Express
Ranked #48 of 262 Restaurants in Inverness
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed July 18, 2014

Having eaten here several times our experience last night has made me want to finally review it. Before I start, I have to say that this is by far the better experience than eating at Pizza Hut near the cinema and its worth coming into town to eat here than at Pizza Hut, however, there are some things that with a little thought could be made to be so much better.

The majority of the staff were helpful, smiling, clearly as hot and bothered as the diners but managed to keep professional. The manager however, spent more time chatting at the pass with the chefs and not really paying attention at all. Whilst not rude, when we asked about a special on Foursquare that we had unlocked he dismissed it out of hand and alluded to me not knowing what I was looking at when clearly he has not read some memo or other from head office, I don't appreciate being basically told that I am reading the words American Express Madam not Pizza Express - what does he think I am, stupid?!

Its noisy in here, very noisy, another review had mentioned the hard surfaces everywhere, I don't mind that, its easier to keep clean, however it does make for a loud dining experience. What we found particularly uncomfortable was that there was no air, no open windows, no air conditioning, no breeze, stale stagnant getting hotter by the minute.

The food is lovely, cant fault it at all, good quality ingredients and the fact it is made in front of you is great. The service whilst the girls were helpful and smiley it was slow, soooo slow. Having asked for our bill 15 minutes later we still didnt have it so had to walk up to the till to finally get it.

Yes we'll be back, its one of the few places in Inverness that it's worth going to, but with just a little care and attention this could be so much better.

Reviewed July 17, 2014

The food was ok, relatively expensive for what we got. The wine was pretty dire & flavourless. The building has no soft surfaces at all with the result that, even if there are not a lot of diners present, the noise bouces off all the hard surfaces making it hard to hear conversations, what the waiting staff are saying, etc. Service was ok, but a little disjointed, some staff gave the impression that they didn't know what they were there for.

Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

Some friends and I went to Pizza Express for lunch yesterday using our Tesco Club card points which gets you quadruple the value! Service was great, there was a slight mix up with my pizza but it was quickly rectified. I do find the menu rather limited, but what is on the menu is generally very nice. Polenta chips weren't my cup or tea but I think it was just personal preference rather than bad cooking or ingredients.
I would recommend and I'm sure I'll be back!

Reviewed July 4, 2014

I've felt that this pizza chain has become somewhat "jaded' and we only ate here because we were passing!

It was a really good experience. I felt the staff were really trying hard and were smiling and efficient. and the chef was doing a great job making some very tasty pizzas. The restaurant is light, bright and has loads of seating outside for dining al fresco.
We've now eaten lunch here on several occasions and, other than on one occasion being offered a rather sad limp mixed salad ( which had definitely seen better days) I can't fault it.

Reviewed June 27, 2014

A reasonable Pizza Express. Good quality food, as always. Very good location next to the station (good for people-watching as they scamper for their train). Feels a little congested, despite being quite big. Poor acoustics make it quite hard to hear eachother speak. Everybody else's chatter really reverberates, I think this is because of the lack of soft furnishings. Staff were a bit disinterested and slapdash.