“Always a good buzz about this place and the food is interesting”

Mustard Seed Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 251 Restaurants in Inverness
Cuisines: European, British, Scottish
Good for: Scenic view, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Open since 1995, the simple cooking and warm, friendly atmosphere has allowed The Mustard Seed to become one of Inverness’s favourite restaurants. The Location on the banks of the River Ness in a converted church building is simply stunning and helps create the wonderful ambience. The transformation from disused church to restaurant created a unique space; with a double-height ceiling and magnificent open log fire. Many of the original period features were retained and combined with a mix of natural and modern finishes. The addition of the terrace on the top floor allows alfresco dining and uninterrupted views of the River, another amazing asset for the restaurant.
Inverness Scotish Highlands
“Always a good buzz about this place and the food is interesting”
Reviewed December 19, 2009

The Mustard Seed has built up a very good reputation over the past few years with both Locals and Tourists. The staff are always friendly and attentive, and the food is consistantly good. It is very busy, particularly at weekends, so it is advisable to make a reservation in advance.

• Greek first
  • Korean first
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Excellent food and atmosphere.”
Reviewed November 23, 2009

Booking well in advance for this restaurant is recommended. Busy converted church on the banks of the River Ness. High quality food with a great atmosphere and views. Large portions and excellend choice. Lots of fish options but plenty else to choose from. Good views over the River.

Elgin
“Overpriced and arrogant”
Reviewed November 15, 2009

We realy enjoy the Kitchen restaurant so were excited about trying the Mustard Seed as we had understood that it was to be EVEN better than the Kitchen - how wrong could we be!!! When we arrived we were 'greeted' by a member of staff who was clearly distracted and overworked - she asked our name and then abruptly walked the other way, we didn't know whether to follow her or not. She came back a few mins later and said our table would be a few more minutes. Then she changed her mind while walking away and shouted at us to follow another member of staff to a table. We were seated upstairs - nice enough table but there is not escaping the loudness of this place. It's seriously echoey and when full it is pretty deafening. Anyway, with good food - stuff like this is not really a big deal.

We ordered our food - my partner asked for fries with his surf and turn rather than roast potoatoes - apparantly the chef said this was an impossiblity and so were charged for a side of fries. It's been a long time since I've experienced this level of arrogance in a restaurant. What a ridiculous thing!!!! So easy to keep your customer happy by making a perfectly reasonable change - i.e. what type of potoatoes they want! The fries were frozen so it wasn't a biggie, they didn't have to make them from scratch or anything!!! When I brought this up at the end of the night the head waiter (I think) replied 'well chefs are fickle creatures' - give me a break! I have eaten at many top restaurants around the world and generally the aim is to please the customer - even if it means making small alterations to the chefs 'art' (trust me, what they served us was not art anyway!!). Just 4 weeks ago we ate at the London in NYC (Gordon Ramsay's restaurant) where they were totally obliging and insisted we make any alterations required to ensure we enjoyed every part of our meal! The same at The Three Chimneys on Skye (consistantly rated one of the top restaruants IN THE WORLD!). Also, The Lone Star in Barbados where we visited earlier in the year (again, consistantly rated one of the top restaurants IN THE WORLD) - totally obliging, flexible and helpful. But no, no - come to the Mustard Seed in Inverness, where the customer is always wrong and the chef if above any type of request! Ludicrous! To move on to the food - my starter (I admit I ordered it knowing it would probably be pretty odd but was hoping to be suprised) pancakes stuffed with mature cheddar, rocket etc with a SOY SAUCE dressing - does this chef understand flavour??? I'm not convinced. My partner's starter (haggis and mozzerella) was tasty and he enjoyed it. The surf and turf - steak fine, one scallop undercooked, one overcooked - underseasoned throughout. Potatoes oily. Side of fries pretty greasy, clearly not homemade. My main - halibut, ok but nothing to write home about. Couldn't be bothered with desert so opted for some Thorntons chocolates we had in the car - these were the highlight of the evening.

The head waiter chap, in fairness, was sweet and listened to our concerns and said he was disappointed we wouldn't be back. He urged us to come back and make sure he looked after us personally. He had red hair and glasses - Mustard Seed, take note - THIS GUY IS THE BEST THING YOU HAVE GOING FOR YOU!

Back to the Kitchen for us! Or Chapter One in Forres :-))

London, United Kingdom
“Not up to scratch”
Reviewed November 7, 2009

My partner and I dined at the Mustard Seed for dinner. We were seated up stairs which overlooked the River Ness. The food was fresh, seasonal and satisfactory. Our waiter unfortunately had no knowledge of the wine list and brought us a red in stead of the white wine we had ordered. And our view from upstairs also afforded us a view of the kitchen in which we could see one persons job for the entire night was to reheat vegies in the microwave that were previously cooked. Not pleasant. Overall it was an okay dining experience but I think we won't be back for dinner although everyone does say that their lunch is much better.

Wales, United Kingdom
“Very nice food”
Reviewed November 2, 2009

We went for an early dinner and selected from the early evening menu, which offered two courses for £11,95 each, including a soft drink, glass of wine or a bottle of Stella Artois lager. Our server was very friendly, but no one had told her that my first choice main course was off. This was no problem as I had difficutly deciding between the chicken and the beef! Our first courses arrived quickly, my spicy parsnip soup was hot and delicious, whilst my partner declared her feta cheese salad to be exquisite. My main course of breadcrumbed chicken was very tasty, as was the sea bass selected by my better half. But it was the desserts tht were the best part of the meal! They were so nice we shared them! I have never had such a wonderful sticky toffee pudding, and the vanilla pannacotta was almost, if not quite, as gorgeous!