“Another lovely dinner at the Mustard Seed”

Mustard Seed Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 258 Restaurants in Inverness
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Open since 1995, the simple cooking and warm, friendly atmosphere has allowed The Mustard Seed to become one of Inverness’s favourite restaurants. The Location on the banks of the River Ness in a converted church building is simply stunning and helps create the wonderful ambience. The transformation from disused church to restaurant created a unique space; with a double-height ceiling and magnificent open log fire. Many of the original period features were retained and combined with a mix of natural and modern finishes. The addition of the terrace on the top floor allows alfresco dining and uninterrupted views of the River, another amazing asset for the restaurant.
Inverness, United Kingdom
“Another lovely dinner at the Mustard Seed”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This place is an old favourite with my family and this latest trip was no exception. My hubsand likes his food simple so was a little nervous as the menu looked a "little fancy" for him compared to previous visits. However he chose the venision and loved it. He then tried to tuck into my monkfish! I let him try it and he was very impressed. Desserts as usual were difficult to choose. I really enjoyed my baileys pannacotta and my husband had a rather nice platter of cheese a buiscuits. The service was great and the atmosphere as always was relaxed.

• Greek first
  • Korean first
West Midlands, UK
“Every town should have one”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Why doesn't every town have a restaurant like this? Packed full because of the buzz, the joyous service, the good nosh and good booze. If I lived here I would be in every week. The food isn't without fault but when they get it right it is as good as you will fine. The wine list is sound - the beer is overpriced but the menu is mouthwatering. The cost is reasonable and the lunch special is a giveaway. Grab a table for the river view and what else can you want?

• Visited April 2013
Scotland
“Nice place but didn't enjoy food”
Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

Have been up mustard seed before and it's nice. Lunch menu for £6.95 pp is brilliant however the choice on menu is very limited. We chose our 2 courses each but neither of us enjoyed them (personal choice) food was displayed lovely on plates. Our potatoes and vegetable came on a small plate to share and included 1 small baby potato that we cut in half and shared and lots of mushrooms and courgettes. Would I go back no I wouldn't but perhaps I just like bigger more hearty portions of food!

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Great place ...”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

It was our second visit. Food was great, staff was very friendly. Lovely ambient and fantastic location next to the river Ness.

Visited April 2013
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“No need for prayers.....”
Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

......when you dine at the converted church that is Mustard Seed in Inverness. Despite living in the town during it's early years I had no recollection of it when I returned to the town for a short break. The current team have really put this eaterie on the map led by the manager Christine Robertson who is a tour de force front of house. Service is top notch as an army of people in chef whites deliver efficiently.
The menu is enhanced by a blackboard of specials that make the best of the highland larder that's on their doorstep and the creative genius in the kitchens add a light touch that ensures all of the natural flavours are allowed to breathe.
I opted for a little bit of surf (whitebait) followed by a decent sized turf (a locally grown Rib Eye). If I had any criticism at all it would be that the chips with the steak were more McDonalds than the hand cut chips you might expect in a restaurant of this quality. However, they were described as french fries and I guess that is what they were. My partner had a starter from the specials board called 'cauliflower cheese (my way)' followed by roast chicken. The cheese was breadcrumbed and baked with the cauliflower element coming in the form of a delicious cauliflower puree. A twist on the expected dish, helpfully explained by the waitress when taking our order. The roast chicken was thinly sliced and layered with cerano ham with a thyme and red wine jus on a bed of garlic mash. The accompanying vegetables were in our view missing some greenery as they consisted mainly of sauté potatoes and some roast peppers. We opted for coffee rather than any of the sweets that were fairly typical in name although I can't comment on the quality of the offer. We had a bottle of Soldiers Block Merlot from Australia at £22 which was full bodied and very fruity, and I tried a young,light Port withy coffee. All in the bill of £75 represented good value. We dined on a Thursday, booking at 11am and I could only be offered a table at 9.15, so book early for this popular spot well deserving of praise.