“Pleasant stay at Strathness Hous3”
Review of Strathness House

Strathness House
Ranked #15 of 229 Inverness B&B and Inns
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
“Pleasant stay at Strathness Hous3”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

My wife and I stayed two nights at the Strathness House. It was great value for a clean and centrally located guest house in a historic building with refurbished bathrooms. Great full Scottish Breakfast included.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 18, 2014

(May have already posted a review - apologies if I have, lol)

This is a bit of a long overdue review - me and my boyfriend stayed here during the Valentine's weekend (February 14-16th). We fancied a wee weekend away from where we live and so thought Inverness would be a nice place to stay. After browsing hotels in the area, I realised that there wasn't that many within the town centre. Strathness House came up as the top hotel to stay in so I decided we would come here. Filling out the form, I indicated that both my boyfriend and I were deaf and so would need assistance should there be an emergency.

Upon arrival, we parked at the side of the street, aware that time limits were put into place. Once we checked in, the lady (apologies I have forgotten both the owners' names!) asked for my name and immediately recognised that we were the deaf couple. Fantastic that she paid attention to detail. She helpfully advised that we park the car in the public car park down the road - only £2 for 24 hours and Sunday was free.

We were taken up to the room and we were fortunate enough to have a river view which overlooked the river and parts of the town, beautiful. The room was a bit small but it was very cosy and made you feel right at home! The shower and TV worked perfectly and the small added accessories such as the kettle, hairdryer, biscuits and extra sheets/blankets were a bonus. The hotel itself is only a five minute walk from the town centre which was great. We had breakfast in the morning which was really delicious, wide variety of cereals, fruit, yoghurts and again, the lady's husband was very helpful and clear, ensuring that we understood him.

I would definitely recommend this place and I would definitely come back here again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank allyballybee89
Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

Strathness House is located just over the river in a perfect location for the train, shops and theatre.

We booked a last minute stay through booking.com and arrived to a very friendly welcome.

We paid extra for the room, the view was lovely, however it wasn't as big as some of the others but extremely comfortable for our overnight stay.

As avid four rooms fans we conducted a tongue and cheek check of the room and it was absolutely spotless.

On arrival we explained that I was allergic to wheat and gluten and they made sure there were gf rolls available for breakfast. The cooked breakfast was great and hosts were very attentive and accommodating.

It had great facilities and we would certainly choose this over any hotel at the same price.

The owners have made sure that this guest house lives up to the great reviews. We really hope to be back again soon!

Thanks for a lovely relaxing break!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Groningen, The Netherlands
Reviewed March 13, 2014

We stayed here one night and we received a very warm welcome when we arrived. We were shown to our room and were given some good tips as to where to go for dinner. The room was clean, comfortable and spacious. The bathroom was a bit small, but how much time do you spend there anyway? We had a room one floor up and on the street side, which meant we had to be careful not to let pedestrians passing by peek into our room, but that goes for any first floor room I suppose. The location of the hotel is excellent: View of the river and castle, on the same street as many good dining places and walking distance from the centre and attractions. In the morning we had our breakfast order freshly cooked and the owner provided us with some good tips to continue our car journey through Scotland. All in all a great experience and I would easily stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay away from the street-side rooms if you can't stand cars passing under your window. The view...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Ankeny, Iowa
Reviewed March 12, 2014

My husband and I stayed at Strathness House during our honeymoon on our last night in Inverness and wish we could have stayed longer. The hospitality was fantastic as was the room and view (fantastic view overlooking the river). We had to leave for the airport very early in the morning so missed breakfast, but the owner graciously packed us a sack lunch to take with us. Next trip to Inverness we will definitely book with Strathness House.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed March 5, 2014

We stayed a week ago at the Strathness house in Inverness and this hotel was one the best value during our tour of Scotland. We have been warmly greeted by the owner and our room was spotless, very quiet with a great view on the river Ness and the castle. The continental breakfast was plentiful. We could not ask for a better location nor a better room. We still hardly believe that we stayed in a such a nice hotel for the price we paid.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed March 5, 2014

It is a B&B, so of course don't have all service a bigger hotel full of stars would have, but the hospitality of the owners will make you forget it. In fact I enjoyed small hotels and B&Bs in Europe much more than bigger, branded hotels.

The rooms are good sized and have confortable beds, the decoration matches the style of the building, the location is great. My wife felt the heat insulation not as good as other hotels we visited in Europe, but it was perfect for me and my kids.

They don't have dinner, but I accepted their suggestion and loved "The Kitchen", in the same street.

The breakfast was delicious.

We loved Inverness and the surroundings, so we're sure we will return to Inverness ASAP, and will stay in Strathness House again, but for a few days next time to enjoy the city and the surroundings.

Room Tip: It seems any room is good, the street is very quiet at night, most rooms have view to the river or t...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family