“Overall good but not great”

Loch Ness House Beefeater
Ranked #106 of 278 Restaurants in Inverness
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Championing the unique flavours which come with chargrill cooking methods, Beefeater Grill Loch Ness House offers a modern take on traditional steakhouse dining. Alongside an accomplished bar stock, prime meat cuts, fresh fish and wholesome vegetarian dishes make up the simple yet diverse Beefeater menu. Beefeater Grill restaurants pride themselves on sourcing the finest meat cuts and premium seasonal produce. Also renowned for its family-friendly welcome, Beefeater Grill presents a 'Little Eaters' menu, offering a fun range of dishes for children. Evoking a lively ambience and offering a menu filled with favourites, Beefeater restaurants are a consistent crowd pleaser.
Reviewed October 1, 2017

This was our first time at a Beefeater, we booked for my fiancés birthday for six people at 7pm on a Sunday night. We arrived and after following all the signs and walking rough around the restraint to find the main entrance we’re greeted by some solid branding. The place looked nice overall and was definitely trying to go subtle western steakhouse.

We arrived five minutes early and were asked to wait so took a stool in the bar, we got in a round of drinks and finished them by the time we were seated. Probably about 10-15mins later than our reservation. I was disappointed after ten minutes we didn’t get any kind of acknowledgement or apology for the delay.

We were sat on a round table for eight though in truth it was only for eight by the night of chairs, if we had eight sat on that table it would have been a tight and uncomfortable fit I think. Another round of drinks followed quickly. As they were going for a more “homely” approach the tables were all uneven on top which does give a pause every time you put your beer down. The tables were so laminated it kind of missed the mark for me. It’s not work scrimping of functionality for the sake of appearance in my books. No spills though!

We ordered a set of sharing platters. The Beefeater Sharing Platter for £10.99 and ti split well between two with all the elements being pretty spot on for me. The dipping sauces were not subtle with the piri piri having some heat and the ranch some proper tang. Surprisingly it was the mushrooms that stole the show there. Our other starter was however not so good, the Garlic Flatbread Strips while plentiful just had no garlic taste to them at all. Even the garlic butter was so lacking in garlic that it just tasted like oil and not even very nice oil. We ended up needing those sharer dipping sauces for the garlic bread in the end just to hide the oily taste. That was a big disappointment to start things off with.

With our mains of course I had to have the Porterhouse, I’m a steak kind of guy and it had to be done. They cooked it perfectly rare but it was a little drier than I expected. The server was very gracious and didn’t kick my father-in-law out for ordering his sirloin well done. It came as ordered (ruined and burn imo) but perfectly cooked for a well done order.

The side coleslaw seemed pretty unnecessary but the other sides were nice bar the Prawn & Lobster sauce which was overall just a bit bland for us. I was expecting a good amount of that seafood flavour to come from it but it was just lacking. I can highly recommend the macaroni balls for a good bit of cheesy indulgence.

We skipped desert as we had cake sitting back home. In truth after the Porterhouse I needed the breather anyway. Overall the restraint was well lain out with a good amount of space between tables though it would be worth filling that table with staff to see how tight it is. The staff were all very pleasant and timely in coming over and we had the same waitress most of the time. That always helps, she introduced herself by name and showed some personality which will always improve the experience over corporate drone waiters.

We were really disappointed by the garlic bread but on the whole the food was good, I can’t account for whatever food was mashed into the floor under my chair however from the previous diners. I thought best not to try that. I considered it as a traveling snack as going to the bathroom involved a small adventure through the restraint, up a flight of stairs and through some odd corridors. I think by the end we were in the hotel itself.

I’d definitely go back again but it will take some work for that five star.

Reviewed October 1, 2017 via mobile

A guy greeted us with "have you booked" like we were an inconvenience and then asked us our name and told us to come back up in twenty minutes with no other comments as to get a drink, sit in a different area or even thank you etc
We waited at the bar for what was nearly twenty minutes, and the bar tender started to serve people who walked up to the bar after us. He also then didn't understand simple orders from customers who asked for southern comfort or for flavoured ciders.
A young blonde girl sat us to our table who was lovely and polite.
Our food was lovely but nothing your local pub/eatery wouldn't do for half the price.
Expected great flavours but it was nothing special.
It seems like there were a lot of tables free but they were having people wait as they just didn't have the staff.

Reviewed September 28, 2017 via mobile

Came for lunch with my family. It was great food and what a great price for the day time menu. I had a lovely chicken curry with chutney, rice and naan bread for £5. Free refills on draught soft drinks. A steak meal for around £8 on the day time menu, you can’t go wrong with that.

Reviewed September 21, 2017 via mobile

Visited for an evening meal.
Had a rather long wait for food.
I ordered the seafood pasta dish, on arrival the portion size was poor I didn't send it back to the kitchen as I had already waited a considerable length of time.
Ordered dessert as I was still hungry!
The Apple crumble arrived but it was served tepid.
Pleasant staff but sadly a mediocre meal.

Reviewed September 20, 2017 via mobile

Lovely food and the lunch time menu is good value for money. However, service is extremely slow and we waited 45 mins. Need more waiting and cooking staff clearly!