“Beautiful Hotel”

Rocpool Reserve hotel & Chez Roux
Ranked #8 of 36 Hotels in Inverness
Reviewed January 8, 2014

We had a two night stay here as a Christmas present courtesy of daughter. We arrived on the 03rd January and had a very pleasant stay in one of the "Decadent" rooms. The room was excellent, it was on two floors with the bedroom on the upper level and a large bathroom on the lower level. The hotel itself is quite small but was very nice with a well designed bar and dining room. The food was pretty basic considering it is "Chez Roux" but what was on offer was well cooked and presented and the staff were very accommodating. The pricing is reasonable and is in comparison to other hotels in the area. I would recommend this to any couple wanting to get away for a quiet couple of days.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Rocpool-Inverness, General Manager at Rocpool Reserve hotel & Chez Roux, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review based on your recent stay with us at Rocpool Reserve Hotel.

I remember your stay fondly and am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us in Room 1 shortly after the Festive.

Rocpool is indeed a small Boutique Hotel, with only 11 bedrooms, this is the reason for our very personal 5 Star Service which we strive to provide to every guest. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your meal in the Chez Roux Restaurant as well. The food is indeed simple as it is based on home style country cooking, with a Chez Roux flare which comes in the form of our skilled Chef’s immaculate presentation and modern twists on simple, traditional French dishes.

I will look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to Rocpool Reserve Hotel in the future.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

We booked Rocpool after my husband and I married in NYC with our 7 year old son in December and was looking for somewhere special to enjoy a night just the 2 of us.
We enjoyed a couple of drinks in the bar after returning from dinner in the city where we were looked after by a very helpful and chatty barman. The prices were very reasonable.
The hotel is beautifully furnished and all the hotel staff we came into contact with were very attentive, friendly and helpful.
The room we booked was the decadent room with a hot tub outside with views over the city. The room had an amazing super king side bed which was so comfortable, flat screen tv, iPod docking station and DVD player. There was also a stocked minibar with complimentary water.
The bathroom was lovely and large with his and her basins and a huge deep bath with an amazing shower above. Lovely fluffy towels with bath robes and slippers, however, a part opaque door facing the toilet :0/
Outside through the doors was a large hot, hot tub which was superb.
We enjoyed a very filling cooked breakfast in the morning which was delivered upto our room.
The only negatives of this wonderful stay are I would state are minute. We were disappointed not to find any milk or cream for our coffees in the morning when we woke. As it was our honeymoon stay we didn't feel the need to invite the lovely staff into our room delivering the milk. The temperature of the room was a little high for us. Except for those little niggles, everything else certainly made up for it! Check 'late rooms' website as this gave us the best deal. £85.00 off for bed and breakfast. Enjoy your stay, it is definitely worth paying the extra for the hot tub!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Firstly, let me thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at Rocpool Reserve.

It was an absolute pleasure to host your family for such a special occasion and I am very glad to hear of your positive experience. Our Extra Decadent bedrooms are certainly something to marvel at and absolutely ideal for a special occasion of any sort, with the fantastic views over the River Ness, so I am delighted to read of your usage of this private area and also of your decision to take advantage if our free of charge Room Service breakfast option, making your stay all the more leisurely.

Regarding your only negative comments, we do not provide milk in the rooms as we feel it is better to provide guests with fresh milk on call, whenever it is required. I do apologise that this may have inconvenienced you on the morning of your stay. The temperature of the room is always left up to the discretion of each guest as well, with simple dial radiators in each room and a fan provided in every single wardrobe.

I thank you once again for your review and hope to welcome you back to Rocpool in the future.

Reviewed December 16, 2013

Well I suppose everyone is different and folk expect different things from a hotel but I was somewhat surprised to see a few negative reviews here. I booked an extra decadent room for my wife's birthday and we had a wonderful 4 night stay. The room was very decent with a large bathroom with separate bath and power shower. Through the patio doors on the patio were a private hot tub and sauna which were well used during our stay. We ate in every night and enjoyed various dishes from all menus which offer good variety. However what really made our stay special was the attitude and attentiveness of the staff at Rocpool Reserve who were all fantastic. If I was to pick on a few very minor refurb issues I really would be being petty. We will certainly be back.

Room Tip: Our extra decadent room in the basement was very good.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank nonimaclennan

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive review based on your recent stay with us here at Rocpool Reserve Hotel.

I am absolutely delighted to read about your satisfaction of your stay as a whole and of your enjoyment of our Extra Decadent room amenities, our Chez Roux dining experience and of our excellent Front of House team. I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to all staff member and I greatly looking forward to welcoming you back to Rocpool in the hopefully not too distant future.

Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

20 guys, annual lunch, always a challenge wherever we go! We changed numbers etc etc. on the day the service and in particularly the food was the best we have had in 15 years of this event. Can't recommend it highly enough, will be back on my own at some point and only wish we could break the rule if never the same place twice! Well done guys.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank andhewittscores
Rocpool-Inverness, General Manager at Rocpool Reserve hotel & Chez Roux, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2014

Dear Guest,

It is with great pleasure that I read your review and it was an absolute pleasure to host your annual lunch in the Chez Roux Restaurant, with your party being immense fun and providing a great afternoon for all staff involved!

It is such a shame that you have the rule of not visiting anywhere twice, however I hope that you enjoy next year’s annual lunch and I greatly look forward to hopefully welcoming individual members of your party back to Rocpool Reserve Hotel and Chez Roux in the future.

Reviewed December 14, 2013

This was the first time we have visited this Restaurant and our only regret is not coming sooner. The meal was quite simply fantastic. The service was excellent and the food was beautifully presented and tasted wonderful. The location is also worthy of mention with nice views over the River and the west of Inverness.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Corran9

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your Tripadvisor review on your recent experience with us.

I am delighted to hear of your enjoyment of your experience of our Chez Roux restaurant. I will be sure to pass your positive comments onto our team of staff and very much hope to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed December 10, 2013

When it's the Rocpool Reserve Hotel Restaurant Inverness on a Sunday. I am a fan of the Roux Brother's various establishments but Sunday's experience was a shocker.
The Rocpool Hotel has a fairly large restaurant we were the only three diners booked in. Two of us selected to go for the fixed menu and one went a la carte. The choice on the set menu was limited, we went for turkey as a main course. The starters were ok at best, but the turkey dish was like a 1970's meal for one.
I don't know who was in the kitchen, unlikely it was the head chef as the restaurant was only expecting the three of us so he probably took the day off. I don't think whoever was in the kitchen was provided with a turkey to carve from, the whole dish was almost certainly pre-plated and heated up. You don't expect this in a restaurant with a Roux tag.
The a la carte order was for sirloin steak medium rare, it arrived medium well and was apparently chewy and tough. It is not difficult to serve a decent steak particularly from the home of the Worlds finest beef.
The vanilla ice cream to finish was very good.
The staff tried their best and were helpful and cheerful, I think it would have been sensible for them and better for us if they had telephoned to say as we were the only booking, it would have given us the option to eat elsewhere, we certainly would not have taken offense. As it was we had a poor experience and a wasted Sunday lunch.
We travelled to the airport for our flight back to London rather disappointed as we had been looking forward to our last meal on this trip to Scotland.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank robert p
Rocpool-Inverness, General Manager at Rocpool Reserve hotel & Chez Roux, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent meal with us at Rocpool Reserve Hotel and Chez Roux.
It is with great disappointment that I read your review of your meal but at the same time thank you for your feedback as although we receive many positive feedbacks from the Tripadvisor community and other means, it is very important to find out any aspects that we may have to look into improving.
Our Set Menu does have a choice of 3 options per course and we strive to make sure that this is as varied as possible, with your particular set menu having fish, meat and vegetarian options for both starter and main course. As was mentioned upon presenting your menu’s, should there not be anything of your taste on the Set Menu, you are more than welcome to mix and match between the A La Carte menu also. Let me reassure you that it was indeed the Head Chef who was on duty on the afternoon of your visit and we are all very saddened that you didn't enjoy as we would intend.
At Chez Roux we have a ‘check-back policy’ which essentially means that each course is checked on after a couple of minutes. Had any of your concerns been mentioned during your meal, we most certainly could have resolved this by requesting for a new steak to be prepared or offering for alternative dishes to be made for you in order to ensure your enjoyment of the meal. Unfortunately, as none of the above was mentioned, we were unable to resolve your concerns and assumed that your meal was enjoyed due to the fact that it was confirmed that you were happy with each course.
Should you visit us again at Chez Roux, we will be more than happy to accommodate your wishes and should the menu not be varied enough for you, will certainly check whether Chef can prepare something to your taste on the day.
Again, I do apologise for the fact that you did not leave Chez Roux as satisfied as we would have wished, however hope that you will return in the future should you ever visit Inverness.

Reviewed December 9, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in room 10 on Sat 7 December and what can I say. On arrival met by the friendly Eilidh who showed us to the room explaining how to work the sauna, hot tub etc. We went to the bar for a predinner drink where again we had excellent service. The restaurant was lovely with a good young waiter who was friendly and welcoming. The food was first class. Scallops were to die for. Overall the experience was first class with possibly the best service I have ever had. The staff were very much a credit to the hotel. I have never stayed anywhere that I couldn't have found some minor fault with but the Rocpool was flawless. Will I return a resounding yes.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us on Tripadvisor.
I remember your stay fondly and it was an absolute pleasure to have you stay with us. It is with great pride that I read your positive review and I will be sure to pass your comments onto our team of staff.

I wish you all of the best for the Festive season and greatly look forward to welcoming you once again to Rocpool Reserve Hotel.