“Much ado about not much”

Rocpool Reserve hotel & Chez Roux
Ranked #5 of 34 Hotels in Inverness
Wellesley, Massachusetts
“Much ado about not much”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

When we booked out room at the Rocpool Reserve the web site proudly proclaimed eleven luxury, air-conditioned rooms. Thankfully, the hotel has changed its accommodation description to be a bit more honest, perhaps due to our stay. We had booked a “Chic room” for our two nights. Upon entering the room, we discovered that the room not only did not have air-conditioning, but it was, for all practical purposes, in the basement. The view from the window was of a retaining wall, at the top of which was the car park, lovely view of an Audi bumper. We were told we could leave the window open for ventilation. A solution we quickly rejected. We were about to find another hotel when a solution was found. We could move down to a lower priced “Hip room” with a/c. But, again, the room was below grade with a view of an ally, retaining wall with the car park at the top.

As for luxury, the Chic room had a magnificent remodeled bath, but the rest of the room was about the level of a good quality US motel. The Hip room had a “nice” bath, but not one drawer for our clothing. We had to live out of our suitcases. BTW, as for the a/c, it was a split-unit that only dumped cold air down on the bed and could not be regulated. I wish they had paid half the attention to the bedroom area as they did to the bath. Rocpool is said to be Inverness’ best hotel. I guess that is like saying it is the tallest dwarf. If you are staying in Inverness, it is probably your best bet, but don’t expect more than a nice in-town motel. As for the Rocpool’s “famous restaurant, Chez Roux, check under our review in restaurants.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Rocpool-Inverness, General Manager at Rocpool Reserve hotel & Chez Roux, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear Guest
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your review from your recent stay with us.
I do apologise that the room which you had requested was not equipped with an air conditioning unit. Indeed all of our rooms do not have air con units. As soon as we were made aware you required this facility we done our upmost to have this rectified for you.
We are a city centre boutique hotel and unfortunately rooms with views are limited, which is outwith our control.. As we are aware of this we have designed the hotel around a contemporary style to offer our guests elegant, luxurious and fashionable in room facilities. I do understand that this may not appeal to every travellers taste, and I do apologise if this had not met your expectations.
We thrive to meet our guests expectations and requests no matter how large or small they may be, and it is deeply disappointing to learn when we have not succeeded in this with yourself.

Niki Gillies

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 19, 2012

The Rocpool Reserve Hotel has huge strengths, especially its very friendly staff, its cool design and its restaurant. It is also situated in historic and beautiful Inverness with access to the remotest and most glorious parts of the Highlands. Generally the rooms are very comfortable with huge beds and very good bathrooms. Sometimes the design gets the better of practicality: there are no chests of drawers in the rooms so we had to live partly out of our suitcases. The restaurant is a reminder of Le Gavroche in the 1970s, which demonstrates our age, wisdom and experience! One guest wrote in the comment book: 'the food is troubled by butter." Just so: there is too much cream and butter in the sauces which for us made otherwise excellent food just too rich. I think the management should look again at what its customers are experiencing practically, for this could be a great hotel and restaurant if it were able to overcome the qualifications I have mentioned.

Room Tip: They are all good, I think, but one we were offered had a staircase down to the luxurious bathroom...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
Firstly, thank you for taking the time to write your review for Tripadvisor. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed certain aspects of our Hotel such as our Staff and Chez Roux Restaurant .Customer satisfaction is our main priority at Rocpool Reserve and your comments have all duly been noted and passed onto our Head Chef, and should you wish to visit us again we can most certainly tailor a menu to suit your taste and needs.Regarding your comment on storage, our rooms are styled to be simplistic and practical, hence the large wardrobes provided in every room. It would have been our pleasure to provide you with extra storage should it have been required in order to make your stay more comfortable., and please do note in future we can certainly have this organised for you.
Galashiels, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Loved staying here, stayed for the Loch Ness Marathon arriving on the Saturday, the hotel had called the previous week to ask if we would like to stay for dinner as the restaurant gets busy,
which was great, however we only booked the Saturday night which resulted in us not being able to get a table in the restaurant on the Sunday night, we were able to eat in the bar which was equally as nice with great service.

The staff are on hand when you arrive to help you with your luggage and to check you in. Our room was a "Chic" room. Large, comfy, beautifully decorated, clean with a walk in shower and big bath which came in handy after running (we didnt stretch to the Extra Decadent room with the hot tub).
We had a couple of issues with the bathroom, the seal on the shower door didnt hold the door closed and resulted in a large puddle forming during showering and this morning the water was only luke warm in the shower, where previously it had been lovely and hot.

The staff make you feel so welcome, the hotel is not pretentious, its a lovely warm, welcoming place.

The food is, as expected, very good and not overly priced. The breakfast was also very tasty using local ingredients.

I would love to go back and experience the "Extra Decadent" rooms!

Wasaga Beach, Canada
Reviewed October 1, 2012

On arrival we were also welcomed by staff who delivered our luggage to our room and did our checkin in our room along with a room tour. Lovely, personal service.

WE LOVED THE ROOM!! (I think it was #2 (or was it #3?) on the lower level.) Not only did we have the most welcoming bed, but a comfortable couch and easy chair with a big coffee table. Also a one-cup coffee machine with all the fixings (and fresh cream/milk, on call). The bathroom was lovely and well-appointed although the shower was on the small side, for larger people. Our son and his wife were in the other of room #2 or 3 and they had a much larger shower! No problem...we fit. The bathroom amenities were lovely and plentiful.

The window in our room looked up to the parking lot and we thought it might present a noise/light problem during the night but we hear no noise and were not disturbed whatsoever.

We went up to the lounge/bar and enjoyed sitting with a delicious cocktail. The dinner menu was presented to us for our perusal...how nice. We meandered off to the dining room. The food was lovely as was the service. The scallop appetizer was AWESOME. I enjoyed roasted lamb, well seasoned and cooked. I asked for mint sauce and although this roast did not come with mint sauce the chef prepared same fresh for me...greatly appreciated.

My only comment about the ambiance in the diningroom would be that it was far too quiet. People were actually whispering and looking around to see if anyone was listening to their conversation. I would have loved music to take the edge off their anxiety!

Breakfast was served again in the diningroom. The smoked salmon with scrambled eggs was a gourmet delight.

This was a lovely, indulgent establishment. The room itself was wonderful and I wish I had had more time to spend in it. A wonderful haven at a considerable price. Too bad there was no sign of the staff who had helped us in with our bags to help us out as well. Oh well.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your positive and detailed review about your recent stay at the Rocpool Reserve Hotel. We are always striving to achieve a high level of customer satisfaction, so it is with great pleasure that I read about your experience with us and I will be sure to pass your review on to our Chef's and Staff. Regarding the ambiance in the dining room, we do have music permanently playing in the restaurant, but tend to keep this at a minimal volume so as not to disturb our guests. I have noted your comments and will certainly look into this. I am happy to hear that you left feeling indulged and set-up for your day after your gourmet breakfast. If you ever return to Inverness in the future, I hope that we can welcome you back to our hotel.

Kindest Regards,
Queenstown, Otago, New Zealand
Reviewed September 29, 2012

When looking for a discerning residence to stay in Inverness, I was enticed by the Rocpool website and after reading many Tripadvisor comments and reviews was convinced that this property would deliver on both service and overall expectation. At over $600NZD per night - it certainly appeared to tick all the boxes. The pre-arrival experience was promising. I received a personal confirmation and on my request for the extremely popular "Room 1" was delighted to hear that my wish had been granted. Subsequently a few weeks prior to my arrival I received an e-mail asking if I required a dinner reservation to ensure that I would not be disappointed. Once again - I was impressed with the attention to detail. Unfortunately for me, on my arrival this was where the standard of service started to waiver.

The highland weather was simply awful on the day that I arrived in Inverness. I suspect that the team have a camera on the entrance as I was greeted shortly after I parked the car and unpacked my own luggage. There was a lovely young lady who escorted me to my room and the personal in-room check-in experience is a nice professional touch ( missed by many boutique properties these days ) but that was the extent of personal service that I received. Granted I was only staying for the one evening and in fact never encountered another member of staff until the next morning when my breakfast was delivered. There were a number of disappointing issues that I experienced - the TV in the bathroom never worked - I found a previous guests " items " in the draw ... it appeared that there was no reception for a few television channels … the water from the shower didn't drain quickly enough and I used 3 of my towels trying to stop it flooding under the doorway. The noise from the road made it hard to sleep soundly and to add insult to injury ... staff were constantly opening and closing the door directly outside my room ( and stood on the small landing area discussing their social lives ) The In room breakfast was very good - I opted for the eggs benedict - but when I asked for a side of bacon - I was only given one single rasher. The overall experience left me feeling underwhelmed and slightly grateful that my partner was unable to join me. Luckily for him - he had to remain in Aberdeen on business. The potential is there for an incredible experience - but unfortunately ... I didn't have one !

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank BlackWitchNZ69
Rocpool-Inverness, General Manager at Rocpool Reserve hotel & Chez Roux, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear Ms Worth
Thank you for taking the time to write regarding your stay with us in June.
I am saddened to read that we had not met your expectations during your stay. My colleague remembers you fondly as she spent some time in explaining and showing you the hotel and the facilities which we have.
We aim and thrive for perfection with every guest who stays with us, unfortunately issues may arise outwith our control, however when we are made aware of such occasions we do our upmost to have it rectified immediately, and we would have ofcourse been delighted to have done this for yourself. We have since investigated the issues you have mentioned with regards to the room and I can assure you these have now been addressed and rectified.
With working in the hotel industry I am sure you are aware that we take all feedback on board and use this to better our services which we offer to our guests.
I do hope that this will not prevent you from visiting if you are in Scotland again, and we hope that you are looking forward to the Summer season in New Zealand.
Nova Scotia
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We stayed at Rocpool Reserve for one night. We arrived by taxi, with quite a few bags and the staff were immediately outside to help with our bags and took them straight to our room.

We were in Room 1. It was a two level room and was quite large. The bedroom was on one level and the bathroom on the lower level. The room was very well furnished.

We had supper in the R Bar. Service was great, as was the food. Breakfast was included with our rate and was also excellent.

The hotel is quite small and has obviously been renovated recently. The furnishings and decor throughout the hotel were very nice and quite tasteful. The staff were very friendly and attentive.

We arrived around 9pm in the evening and left the hotel to go sightseeing in the Inverness area the next morning, so we unfortunately did not get to spend as much time at the Rocpool as we would have liked.

We were very pleased with our stay at the Rocpool. It is not a cheap place to stay, but it definitely met our expectations.

I only have two complaints. One was the design of the shower. It was a large shower with two showerheads, but the water did not drain fast enough into the floor drain and the floor did not have enough slope to the floor drain, so water ended up on the bathroom shower after the shower was only on for a few minutes. Where our stay was just for one night, this wasn't a big deal but I could see it getting annoying for a multi night stay. (The shower is the only reason why I didn't give the hotel a 5* rating)

My only other issue was that the wifi did not work well in our room. Not a big deal, it worked from the hallway just outside our room, but it was a minor inconvenience.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Rocpool-Inverness, General Manager at Rocpool Reserve hotel & Chez Roux, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write regarding your stay with us.

We are delighted to read that we had met your expectations, and I will certainly pass this on to everyone in the team at Rocpool Reserve.

We will certainly look forward to your returning to stay

New York City, New York
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We stayed here one night. The staff were friendly and helpful and the room was quite large and nicely furnished. Our major complaint is that the room was in the main corridor next to the office and overlooking the street so we had car noise all night. For the price we expected something quiet and private.

Room Tip: Not sure there are rooms away from the main corridor and not on the street, but if so you should boo...
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write regarding your stay.
I am delighted that you found the staff to be friendly and helpful and you were able to appreciate the furnishings of the Hotel.
Unfortunately as we are situated in the city centre of Inverness some road traffic is present, though we do always endeavour to aid any guests who find it an inconvenience by accommodating in alternative rooms if need be, and we would have been delighted to have arranged this for you.
I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back again in the future.