“Absolutely superb”

Rocpool Reserve hotel & Chez Roux
Ranked #7 of 36 Hotels in Inverness
Reviewed October 4, 2007

We stayed here to celebrate our silver wedding anniversary. We were looking for small but luxurious and were not disappointed. We stayed in room 2, a Hip room (the lowest priced at £165 per night) and found it most relaxing. Large, very comfortable bed, luxurious bathroom, stylish accessories and fittings. The reception, bar and restaurant areas are decorated to a very high standard. The continental breakfast was good, fresh, healthy food. We can't wait to go back! Perfect for a special occasion or for chilling out.

Stayed: September 2007

Reviewed October 3, 2007

Had a good stay at Rocpool last week. Nice rooms, public areas and an impressive meal.

Stayed: September 2007
Reviewed September 19, 2007

This hotel is superb. Please dont believe otherwise. Had a really nice one nights stay here.

Excellent room (Room 1) with an incredible, huge, downstairs bathroom. Beautiful bed linen and great service.

The food in the restaurant was presented beautifully. The taste was very complex though and we could see it not appealing to some tastes. It had a lot of strang flavours and there was a lot going on with each dish. Great for one or two nights but couldnt eat it everynight ! Breakfast was also very good.

There was some very minor road noise in the rooms, and couldnt get internet access to work to collect business emails were only minor quibles.

We would recommend this place whole heartedly.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank bax52
Reviewed September 4, 2007

Stayed here last weekend. It is a great hotel. We felt relaxed and comfortable the moment we walked through the door.
Ate dinner on Saturday night - the restaurant was incredibly busy. Dinner was outstanding , I cannot understand where people are coming from saying it is overcomplicated - I had chicken breast with artichoke and peas- nothing overcomplicated about that, just the best chicken dish I have ever tasted. If steak and frozen chips is your thing then Reserve restaurant may not be for you.
Testiment to the success of Reserve is that the car park was full and as previous reviewers have said - I had to park on the street also . I just hope that there is not a pecking order regarding vehicles having a space in the car park as it seemed to be full of Aston Martins, Range Rovers and big Jags.
I think the whole concept of this hotel has been well thought out - it is so refreshing to find something at this level in Scotland let alone Inverness. The bedrooms are well designed and immaculately clean - also the most comfortable bed ever. Our room had air conditioning which I never thought we would have to use - in Inverness especially - but the room was warm without it on.
The bar was also very busy - obviously the place to go for cocktails in Inverness. Cant wait to return - lets hope there is space in the car park!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JoJane36
Reviewed August 31, 2007

We stay here for two night recently and returned to glasgow feeling like we had wasted a weekend.

Their were a few problems but the most annoying was the way i was treated upon arrival, (I arrived in short and t-shirt, looking rather scruffly).

Car park is over crowed, with very few spaces and having traveled a god distance we were dispaointed to have to park outwith the grounds and walk back to the hotel.

Another review described the food as over complicated and i would agree with that, and the £10 breakfast charge was a disgrace.

I cant understand other rating this Hotel 5, maybe it was just an off day of the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2007
14  Thank BORA_BORAGlasgow
Reviewed August 8, 2007

Having visited the hotel a few months ago we were looking forward to our return trip. We decided this time to book into one of the extra decadent rooms for something a bit more special..
Upon our arrival at the hotel we were welcomed as old friends and made to feel immediately at home, something I found unusual yet refreshing for a hotel of such standing.

The room was everything we had expected and much more, with our own private balcony (complete with hot tub) we were able to escape and relax. The facilities were fantastic, although they don't have a gym in their premises we were able to use one in another local hotel, they truly had thought of everthing and the cocktails were to die for.

We decided to have dinner at the restaurant on the second night and were particularly impressed with the menu. The quality of food was superb and the variety matched it. The food was challenging and although there were some 'usual suspects' on the menu there were also a few unique ones. We were presented with a pre-starter of chicken liver parfait with wild mushroom truffle. Delicious! We had crab risotto, scallops, lamb and seabass followed by a selection of desserts to share, all of which were beautiful. The staff were brilliant and we never felt an inconvenience despite dietary requirements.

The main downside I would see is that getting a room can sometimes be a challenge. We had wanted to stay at the weekend but there was no availability for the hot tub room until October, obviously this is testimony to the hotel's success. Equally the cost of a stay has increased, but this could be due to the fact that it's the summer season or simply supply and demand.

Either way I would recommend rocpool to my friends as it is one of a kind in the north and now we'll have to start saving for our next trip.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank happytraveller004
Reviewed August 6, 2007

OK so maybe I have high standards but this was definitely not a 5star night for me.

On arrival I was greeted buy a rather obnoxious Manager (I presume) who thought it was fitting to refer to me and my Wife simply by my second mane... Not a Good start.

We stayed in the best room in the house which sadly was very poor, the main issue was that the room stank of raw sewage, we realised that it was emanating from the sink and alerted Hotel staff. I also managed to scaled my hand with a faulty iron (Don’t ask), which was later replace along with the resolution to the smell in our room. Sadly the issue with the sink had not been resolved and upon check out we realised the issue with hotel staff who gave a sympathetic smile. Finally we were offered a £20 reduction in our bill for the one evening stay (Near £500) which I was simply offended by.

The food was pretty poor and over complicated read previous reviews, and the £10 charge for the Snack Van Breakfast was the finally to an over all very poor stay.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with friends
19  Thank Traveling_Lad
Rocpool-Inverness, Manager at Rocpool Reserve hotel & Chez Roux, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2007

The management of Rocpool Reserve are very disappointed at the content of this review .