“Would recommend” 4 of 5 bubbles

Bazpackers Hostel
Tipperary
“Would recommend”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

Bazpackers was ideal accommodation for my friends and I during Rockness festival, the rooms were standard and the bathrooms were clean. It's beside a really nice pub that does decent bar food, opposite the castle and only a five minute walk into the town. The staff were the best part, super friendly and easy-going. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Indonesian first
Inverness, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

I've now stayed at this hostel twice and i have to say both times have been perfect. It is not what you would call a party hostel, it's a nice place to just relax and have a good time. The common room is a great place to hang out, make new friends and get warm near the fire. The Kitchen is kept clean and has everything you need for cooking a feast.The staff are incredible, three of the friendliest people i have ever met and they make you feel welcome. They were always able to help me with anything i needed without any delays. They made my stay unforgettable. i shall return and recommend bazpackers to everyone.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank leisa_maycock
Nashville, Tennessee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

I traveled through Scotland for 10 days, and this was our only disappointment. We had a private room, but it was in another building, around the corner from the main kitchen and gathering area. The entrance to our section was pretty disgusting and dirty. The bed itself wasn't bad, but the room was dirty and tiny, and the bathroom was also awful. There was a hole in the wall and water constantly on the floor. Our entire "section" of the hostel felt sad and deserted, and there was a completely unused kitchen there. The main kitchen and lobby was actually kind of cute, but it was far away. The reception was also somewhat chilly, and we felt like we were bothering them by showing up. At least we were given a map, once we asked.

Room Tip: Stay in the main building.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank jbelski61
Troon, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

My dad and I decided to stay in Bazpackers again as it is reasonably priced and within close proximity to the centre of town. We opted to stay in the apartment as it had it's own kitchen and bathroom facilities, giving us the option to use them whenever we wanted.

However, this experience was not enjoyable, compared to our last visits. Firstly - the shower. The shower is very, very weak and leaks all over the bathroom floor. This is hazardous, as you could bang your head on the metal railing for the towel or the door.

The place is also a bit dirty, the shelves by the window in the main room need a clean as they are a bit grubby. The bathroom door also has a mark, which to me, looks like blood that has been smeared over the door. It's not pleasant at all to look at.

The Wifi is something that frustrates me. It's advertised as being available to use in the apartment but you can only get a somewhat decent signal if you are sitting up in the top bunk. We did raise this issue before, but nothing has been done about it. It's completely wrong to advertise something as being fully functional when in fact it isn't.

The TV barely works too, and while you can get a signal for about 5 minutes before the signal goes, trying to get a good signal is a challenge, and involves moving the TV aerial around the room.

The only positive was that the beds are comfy, and you will get a decent nights sleep from them.

To stay in the apartment for 3 nights cost £200, which was very expensive indeed. In my books, if a place advertises facilities, they should be fully functional, and not half working.

We won't be revisiting here, as there are better places to stay in Inverness that will cost under £200 to stay in that include wifi that works, clean rooms and breakfast included.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

After having traveled Ireland & Scotland for two weeks prior to staying here - I can honestly say this was by far the worst hostel we booked. We had a private room with a double bed. The room was musty and the carpets were peeling in the corners. The mattress had springs sticking up and we had to place blankets under us to prevent us from being jabbed. Not to mention there was big dust balls between the bed frame and our mattress. On top of that we were awoken on two straight nights thanks to people coming in at 2-3am screaming and puking in the bathroom downstairs. It was an all around bad experience.

The only plus was that the location was fantastic.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jenia S
Limerick, Limerick, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

This hostel was so cozy and friendly. The staff are great, the rooms are nice for hostel standards, and location is pretty central. Just a walk down the street are three grocery markets and a little further is the waterfront leading to where most restaurants are located. Only spent one night here, but I had a great night exchanging stories with other travelers by the fire. The common area can be a bit cramped for some people's standards, but to me it was cozy and made me feel like I was back in my cabin in the States. The kitchen was also nice. Rooms are not en suite, so the bathroom is down the hall but it was very clean and there was plenty of hot water. I was pleasantly surprised when one of the French guests had made dinner and gave everyone that walked into the common area a serving. For those concerned about valuables, there are lockers in the rooms and you can get locks from the staff. This kind of accommodation is perfect for young travelers and college students, but it can suit anyone's needs. Overall it was a great experience and I would choose a hostel like this where you can meet a variety of travelers over a hotel any day.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Hong Kong, China
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

My friend and I had already felt bad with the atmosphere once we got into the room. Yet we just spent there for one night and when considering the cost, I thought that was acceptable. We were very tired so that we fell asleep so quickly. However, we were waken up by some weird sounds from the other side of the wall. It could be the sounds made by some other visitors so we just ignored it. Then, we heard the sound from the door as if it was pushed by someone slightly and we told ourselves this time it could just be the air pressure. This situation happened two times... but we just tried to fall asleep until we were really frightened by the big noise from the door knob. It seemed someone tried very hard to open the door vigorously. Of course, it was locked... However, we did not hear any other noise like footsteps or opening doors which must be heard when someone has to reach the corridor because the sound insulation there was poor...
At the end, we just quickly went down to our friends' room and stay awake for the whole night together. The staffs there refused to give us the refund of that room but I could understand that as I do not think everyone living there have the same experience... And I know it was also out of their control. They could do nothing about it actually... So I just want to share my bad experience here as a reminder for the people who might be aware of those things.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends