“Nice Hotel - Pricey for Buisiness Purposes”

Columba Hotel, Inverness
Ranked #28 of 36 Hotels in Inverness
Reviewed March 27, 2009

The hotel was very nice. Reception and staff were friendly and helpful, and my room (#305) was clean and comfortable. The hotel has electric heating, which I found unusual, and my room took a while to get warm at night. (So when you walk in, switch on the heat and it should be nice and warm by bedtime!) Breakfast was a buffet and was nice. They charged £12 for 24 hours of wireless internet, which is extortion to me. I ate dinner both nights in the bar downstairs, and the food was wonderful. The service was great too. The hotel is very central to Inverness and easy to access. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed December 8, 2008

just been for a 2 night stay and can't believe how this hotel has come downhill having been there every year for the past 8. booked double room received twin, room extremely chilly bathroom baltic !!! , service a joke - booked evening meal for 7.30pm eventually got seated at 8.00, when 1st course eventually came at 8.45!!! 3 of us got ours and eaten them before the soup came for out 4th member. main course was warm and lacking in quantity (1 slice roast beef, 1 brussel sprout, 2 roast potatoes) not really a man sized portion. next we were given our tea/coffee which we had duly drank before given our sweets, all in all not really acceptable for a "4" star hotel.

waiting staff did their best it was really not their fault it was a management one. when made a complaint was told that there was only 1 kitchen in operation and since there was a "bring a party to a party" night on the chefs were struggling again surely another management problem.

will really consider whether we will use the hotel again, think we might try the great western next door .

really dissappointed as we have such good memories of past visits.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank AllycatAberdeen
Reviewed November 6, 2008

Had a great weekend in Inverness visiting our new baby niece. The hotel was very well situated. As we arrived on Saturday at 5pm we were easily able to park on the riverbank close by. Very short walk into town. The hotel itself was nicely furnished our room was clean, modern and comfortable. Plenty of hot water and good strong shower. The restaurant has no windows but it is very spacious and well laid out. They have done a good job on the decor and lighting and the lack of windows does not affect the pleasant ambience. The dinner however was rather unexciting. A choice of 4 of each course. One main course choice was off. Main courses are served at the carvery, on the postive side you can see what you are getting but the vegetarian option of macaroni cheese was a little dried up from sitting on the hotplate too long. They have done a better job on the cooked breakfast which my teenage son loved. continental breakfast not as good unfortunately, dried out cheese and no rolls or Croissants left. Service was good, no complaints there. Value for money was excellent £ 42 for dinner bed and breakfast, only £15 for my teenage son. Overall we were very happy. Best thing of all was the band in the bar on the Saturday night

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank AuntieSuePerth
Reviewed October 29, 2008

I went for lunch with my friend and this was to be my treat. We arrived at 12.05 lunch time to an empty restaurant with a pleasant chap serving behind the bar. We ordered our lunch and was served up with a cold cup of coffee which was taken away and replaced with a hot one. After a 25 minute wait we were served with a meal which was suppose to be a pannini with brie and cranberry and a pannini with chicken and cheese. Chips had been added onto the plate which had been reheated maybe three times before i guess, The salad looked as if it had been used from the night before. In all the meal was shocking, i told the waiter that this meal was awful and he took the plates back to the kitchen. He then appeared full of apologies and said we would not be charged for the two dishes. I asked him if we could speak to the chef and he disappeared and came back and said that the chef would not come and speak to us. To be honest i am not suprised he did not show face, we are local customers from inverness and i can assure you that my friend and i will never go to the McNab Restaurant again, thats for sure!

• Stayed: October 2008
1  Thank bubbles05inverness
Reviewed October 27, 2008

Nice hotel, except my room had a awful stale smoke smell. I called to change rooms and couldn't because the hotel was booked full. The manager came up with a fan and airfreshers, which helped a little. Otherwise the hotel was charming overlooking the river and located near shops.

• Stayed: September 2008
Reviewed October 14, 2008

Well, I read all the reviews and I thought I might be disappointed but what I got was quite different. I had a nice room with a view of the river and the hotel was quiet which is important to me. The breakfast was so bleeding enormous as either a buffet or as a "plated" meal when they were not doing the buffet, that I had no room for even a small biscuit at lunchtime! All the staff were friendly and helpful even when one evening there was only one girl at Reception doing just about everything from 'phones to checking in clients. Would I stay again? Yes, absolutely no doubt.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed September 18, 2008

Booked a double room B&B offer at £60 per room per night for two nights which I have to admit was a very good rate. Had thougth of the DB&B option at £90 but being in the centre of Inverness and knowing of a number of good eateries in the vicinity decided against this.

Our initial view of the hotel and reception was very good with the receptionist, both on arrival and departure being very friendly and polite. The same went for most of the staff except some management who seemed to have missed the PR course and could not even manage the slightest of smiles to their guests in aknowledgement of their existence.

We were in a small double room on the 2nd floor with a view out to the back. In fairness I had requested a quiet room. The room was very clean and the bed comfortable if slightly on the firm side.

We we ate one night in the hotel's McNab's Bistro which was very good and reasonably priced and served by two polite and friendly waiters/bar persons.

What a wise choice I think that we had not included the dinner option as on each night of our stay there was a coach party who all trudged along one behind the other into the restaurant at 7pm. The restaurant was, can I say, a good breakfast room but I somehow have the feeling it would not be the most relaxing place to enjoy dinner. I did not see the menu that was on offer with "the package" but can only assume it was quite basic.

Breakfast itself was OK with a reasonable choice but you had to fetch fruit juices and cereals from one area then go through to what was the carvery for hot food. The usual items were on offer for you to help yourself but unfortunately some things had been left lying a liitle bit too long under the heat (fried eggs for example) which totally spolied adequate food.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple