“Pity, it could be better”

Columba Hotel, Inverness
Ranked #26 of 34 Hotels in Inverness
Edinburgh
“Pity, it could be better”
Reviewed November 28, 2013

Sitting in the lounge bar this place looks and feels fantastic. Wonderful views and excellent location. Disappointingly this was the best part of the experience.

Check-in was friendly and positive. Leaving the reception to head to the bedrooms you start to appreciate how big this building is and you enter the maze to find your room. The decor needs updating in the corridors but it's still clean and tidy.

My room was the farthest away on level 1, room 156 which was a single. It did what is said on the box, single bed, room to sleep and store and a nice bathroom. Sadly the view was of the hotel next door and it's side wall. I may have marked up a point had it been front facing like some of the nice pictures from other posters on here.

Free Wi-Fi worked fine and nice to see these days. As I mentioned earlier the location is ideal for the centre of town. I would highly recommend Rocpool a restaurant on the corner for an evening meal.

Breakfast was in a large enough dinig area on the ground floor. The polish sounding waitress was efficient if a bit robotic sounding in her instructions, it was the same monotone instruction heard every few minutes as new guest arrived. That said she must do this dozens of times a day! The quality of the ingredients for breakfast was not great.

It was a reasonably priced stay and if I'd had a better view I would probably come back again.

Room Tip: If your break is leisure I would aim for a front facing room with a view.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Amy W, General Manager at Columba Hotel, Inverness, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Dear Guest, Many thanks for your review following a recent stay with us. I was pleased that you enjoyed most aspects of your stay and fully take on board your comments. We do have a wide variety of rooms, from singles to executive rooms and some stunning views of the River and Castle, so perhaps we can show you one of these rooms when you are next in Inverness. Once again, many thanks for your valuable feedback and best regards, Amy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
Beith, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 26, 2013

The hotel is a bit of a maze, easy to get lost in. The room was small but clean and warm. The dining room was spacious but quite chilly - food good and plenty of it. Staff very friendly and chatty. I left my coat behind in the room and the hotel are very kindly posting it back to me.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with decent view
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, Thank you for your review following a recetn stay with us., I was pleased that you enjoyed your tiem with us and delighted the team looked after you. I hope we have the chance to welcome you back soon. With kindest regards, Amy
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 22, 2013

Not great if I'm honest.

The hotel is a bit of a maze and the chilly rooms are pretty small and underwhelming. The bedding has had some money thrown at it, but the quality of the showers and bath is 2 Star at best.

Although they have free WiFi it is a constant battle to get on and stay on because it runs on quite an antiquated system.

Breakfast is not bad, but the garishly lit dining room is set up for octogenarian Wallace Arnold coach parties and you wouldn't want to spend much time in it.

There is a large bar attached to the hotel which is a massive wasted opportunity. It is cold, illuminated like a light bulb factory and has a wood burning stove that is merely used for decoration. It could and should be a real asset to the hotel, but instead it is unloved and boring.

Unfathomably here it is house policy NOT to stock local beers either on draught or in bottles. (Unless you count Tennents Lager as local )For that reason alone I would not want to return to this place. Although I do feel sorry for the hard working bar staff.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank DavidDundonald
Dear Guest, Thank you for your thoughts following a recent stay with us. All feedback is essential in my business as it enables us to review and improve on the services and products we offer. I am sorry if we did not meet woth your expecations and hope that you may return to see what changes we have made. With best regars, Amy
Elgin, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 21, 2013

We stayed here for a night on a group weekend away. The room itself was okay but would be nearer to a 3+ star. I had a good nights sleep, however for what we paid we thought breakfast was included but unfortunately we found we were booked as room only. The staff were trying to get into our room just after 9am on a Sunday morning!! Check out was not for 2 hours so this is not what you want on a relaxing break. We could have got a nicer hotel including breakfast for a lot less money so probably wont be back!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest, Thank you for your review following a recent stay with us. I was pleased that you had a good night rest and fully take on board your comments which will be shared with my team to ensure we are improving on our services. I hope we may have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Columba soon. With best regards, Amy
EmyEmy
Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

After arriving very late on a Friday evening check in was swift and we were ushered straight through to mcnabs for our prebooked 3 course meal which was of a great standard and served with a smile even at 9pm. Room was clean with tea/coffee making facilities, iron, board, hairdryer. Bed was comfortable although pillows were too hard for my liking(personal preference) so I didn't sleep very well.
Breakfast is fantastic with great staff and a great choice of Scottish ingredients. We would definitely choose this hotel again.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, Thank you for your review following a recent stay with us. I am delighted you had a good time with us and your kind words will be shared with my team. I hope to have the pleasure to wecome you back soon, with warm regars, Amy
London
Reviewed November 18, 2013

The hotel is at a great location on the banks of the River Ness and very close to the centre of Inverness and the railway station. Our room was at the rear so the view was not great.
The room was comfortable and clean but tired and in need of some TLC.
We did did not try the shower in our room but the bath, although hot, took an absolute age to fill, and when I tried to shave with an electric razor I found that I had to constantly fiddle with the plug and try to shave at the same time.
The room was at times chilly and the only heating appeared to be from a fairly inefficient electric wall heater.
The breakfast choices were good but I found that everything that I tried from the hot buffet was only just warm. Perhaps I picked the wrong things.
All these points are not what one would expect from a 'four star' hotel.
All the staff were friendly and helpful and we would certainly consider staying again when we next visit Inverness.
For what we paid I thought that it was good value for money.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, Thank you for your review dollowing a recent stay with us. I was pleased that you enjoyed most aspects of your stay adn the team looked after you. I take on board your comments and will use this valuable feedback to ensure we are continually improving. I do hope I have the pleasure to lecome you back soon, With best regards, Amy
Morecambe
Reviewed November 12, 2013

The best bit was definitely the excellent breakfast served by attentive, professional staff. We upgraded our room to have a view of the river but the view was the only positive. The room was tired and the bathroom very disappointing, in need of a significant refurbishment. The shower didn't work and the sealant dirty and flaking. No double glazing meant running condensation on windows but the room was comfortably warm. The bed was clean and comfortable. We arrived back at the hotel just after 11pm and there was no bar to have a nightcap. Would not book this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, Thank you for your reveiw following a stay with us. I was so pleased that the team looked after you and you enjoyed our food. We do have many different styles of rooms and I am sorry that you did not enjoy all aspects. I do hope we have the chance to welcome you back again. With best regards, Amy